RASCAL CNC

Srupp

So i wanted to find a way to get a laser cutter and not pay $5,000 for a Cnc laser cutter. after searching i came across the Rascal CNC . designed by two flite test fans/builders and used a spindle instead!!!! WONDERFUL...but then i came to a dead end...no built kits or videos or plans or anything.....I have contacted the guy who apparently made a 90% build video but no response...SOOO has anyone built or found a kit to cut or laser foam board for these plans? I know everyone hates taping and cutting before you can build. its the worst part..Who has an answer for me??????

Chuppster

You have peeked my interest 10 fold!!!!!! Soooooo how was the build? is it using a special type of needle?

Build was easy, took me a day. I use .025" diameter wire I bought on Hobbyking (for 50 cents). You just sharpen the tip, build a mount, and go! My build is on the last page of that thread.

Srupp

Build was easy, took me a day. I use .025" diameter wire I bought on Hobbyking (for 50 cents). You just sharpen the tip, build a mount, and go! My build is on the last page of that thread.

Ok i have a couple questions for you...first of all your build looks great..now for questions.

1- i was looking at the MPCNC webpage and i cant find like a "bundle kit" . or do i just have to know what i need and hand pick it?
2 - was there a build video or instructions or anything?
3- i just sold my 3d printer. does anyone sell everything it takes to make this famous needle cutter?

Verris

Ok i have a couple questions for you...first of all your build looks great..now for questions.

1- i was looking at the MPCNC webpage and i cant find like a "bundle kit" . or do i just have to know what i need and hand pick it?
3- i just sold my 3d printer. does anyone sell everything it takes to make this famous needle cutter?

You'll need the parts bundle, plus the 3d printed parts that match the conduit size you can source locally. Both can be found here.

https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/parts

Here are the instructions

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/

You would need someone to print you a needle cutter, however I've actually ditched my needle cutter and gone to using a .8mm bit on the Dewalt spindle. You need to take some care when creating the cutouts, like when you cut a double score line to remove the foam in the middle you need to cut on the inside of the lines

Code:
|o  o|
|    |
|    |

Vs

o    o
|    |
|    |

With my needle cutter I was around 15mm/s with the spindle I cut at 40mm/sec and have much nicer results.

Chuppster

I've heard multiple people using a spindle, and I hope to try it out later. Right now the needle cutter is working well and it cost me next to nothing so that's why I use it. I'll print you one if you'd like, just PM me.

I am in the same boat....The Rascal seems to totally fit the bill. Shame it's a defunct project. I've looked into the MPCNC. I am interested. It seems a bit of a challenge to piece all the info together. I am looking at ordering everything from V1, but still collecting info.

From what I've seen, the spindle setup results in cleaner cuts, but results in a bit of dust. Some seem to think it's faster. Maybe it's down to individual tuning/setups.

Let me know if you take the plunge. Definitely interested in someone's experience from scratch.

So i wanted to find a way to get a laser cutter and not pay $5,000 for a Cnc laser cutter. after searching i came across the Rascal CNC . designed by two flite test fans/builders and used a spindle instead!!!! WONDERFUL...but then i came to a dead end...no built kits or videos or plans or anything.....I have contacted the guy who apparently made a 90% build video but no response...SOOO has anyone built or found a kit to cut or laser foam board for these plans? I know everyone hates taping and cutting before you can build. its the worst part..Who has an answer for me??????

hornetracer78

The kids and I are working on a lowrider mpcnc I ordered the hard wear and LCD and the rambo bord for 300 or so never done any thing like this so full noob lol

Attachments

• 20190727_112659.jpg
    20190727_112659.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190727_112703.jpg
    20190727_112703.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190727_113055.jpg
    20190727_113055.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Srupp. If you have the means to build a foamboard cutting CNC machine, I can assure you that it will be the best investment you ever made in the hobby. Its such a fantastoc addition. The possibilities become endless.

hornetracer78

So far waiting on more parts to print

Attachments

• 20190730_210048.jpg
    20190730_210048.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190730_210059.jpg
    20190730_210059.jpg
  • 20190730_210115.jpg
    20190730_210115.jpg