Love seeing all the skins in one place!

IMG_6575v2.jpg
IMG_6571v2.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I need to build a new one of these this winter as well...

2016 Thunderbird Arrow 01.png

2016 Thunderbird Arrow 02.png

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Yep. That's why I do it. For the pics! I show my family every time I get a pic of a skin. It means someone thought enough of my work to build one and send me a pic. Makes my day! Thanks guys! I love the pic with your kids BridgeInspector! That's so awesome!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
simply the best

I'm pretty sure Rasterize will have a better recommendation, but so far I've been doing mine by using the CAD program to export DXF of the important shapes, then transmute the DXF to SVG using an online converter or dxf-svg-convert

Once I've got an SVG file I use Inkscape to color things in. Lots of tutorials for Inkscape on youtube. I've been doing a play-by-play on the FW-42 Mini skin in the past week or so too. Nothing as nice as Stephen puts out from an artistic perspective, but it's nicer than white foam :p

Awesome! thanks for the tip... that may be all I need Rockyboy

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
WHOOOAAAA!!!!

Actally Rockboy hit it on the head with his recommendation of getting your file into an editable vector format and putting it into Inkscape. As he mentioned, Inkscape is free with lots of tutorials on Youtube.

See my comment to Rockboy above... I'll share here what I come up with. :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Perusing the threads and seeing some the merit sticking. This one certainly does.

Done.

soaringdawg

Recently went to FF South and picked up a couple FT kits to see what all the fuss was about. Love 'em now. You're motivating me to figure out a whole new way to add color and detail to these so I'm just stopping to say thanks for sharing your expertise and any printable skins you're willing to post to give these brown fliers some super color. Awesome share!

I just finished a simple scout kit and wondered if I can scale up the file on pg 1 for the mini scout and apply it on top of the paper covering of my already built Scout kit or do you only recommend applying these to bare foam on a scratch build? I'd hate to screw up a new build but would rather have graphics than paint it.

What about printing the skin design onto some 3mil (or thinner) laminating film and applying it with an iron on low heat?

Thanks again, Mike

Rasterize

Mentor
Hi Mike!
Thanks for the kind word. Lets see if I got all your questions:

I just finished a simple scout kit and wondered if I can scale up the file on pg 1 for the mini scout

I have no clue if they are proportional. Maybe Spoz would know?

Can I apply it on top of the paper covering of my already built Scout kit or do you only recommend applying these to bare foam on a scratch build?

I go with the flat foam for ease of application and "remove and replace" the paper with the printed skins for weight reasons.

What about printing the skin design onto some 3mil (or thinner) laminating film and applying it with an iron on low heat?

I did have the "Blue Peter" Viggen printed on self adhesive vinyl which was tricky to apply but worked very well. So I guess it would be do-able.

20140406_205709.jpg

Good luck and clear skies!
Stephen

Jonathan Ott

Very cool stuff!!

Curious, the ThunderArrow skin link is listed in the "special size" ...what is the "special size" or can this be printed on 11x17?

Jon

Dobie53

Great thread!
I loved the Gotha Gaggle video. Are those Scout skins available for download anywhere? Thanks!!

Rasterize

Mentor
The Baby Barons and Baby Brits of the Gotha Gaggle are here!

Gotha Gaggle Poster Proof.jpg
47 of the original 62 skins made available for download. (Ran out of room)
See second of of the this thread here.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is such an awesome resource for the community!! Thank you so much for putting in all the time to do this! :applause: