Rasterize - Skindex

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I have this same question in the customer service emails... Is there a way to convert the 11x17 to 8.5x11? Or to merge them, then retile them to letter size?

No easy way. He could re-tile the 11X17 to 8.5X11's in Acrobat. May go from one 11X17 to three 8.5X11s because of overlap settings. Not very efficient. I lay mine out manually from the original Adobe Illustrator files to maximize paper space and minimize the number of tiled pages.

Rasterize

Mentor
Mr. Steven "RASTERIZE" - Thank you very much for all of the help! I finally got all of the info I needed and have downloaded the zip file for the skins. I unzipped the file and checked out the skins - FANTASTIC my friend!
I will follow your instructions. I think I can take it from here.
STAPLES- - here I come:giggle:

Thanks again Mr. "MENTOR"
Howard D Keney
Your very welcome Howard! Good luck with the build and don't forget to post pics. :)

FastCrash45

Elite member
View attachment 112557

Grab a cuppa of your favorite beverage and peruse the index for your next "must build"!
Find the model you are interested in and click on the link.
This will take you to the skin resource page for that aircraft.
Check out the pictures to get an idea of what the skin looks like.
Then download the printable PDFs.

Happy building and go make some memories!
~ Stephen aka Rasterize

FT Simple Storch - Afrika Korp

FT MM DR1 Triplane - Red Baron

FT MM P51 Mustang - Old Crow, Bunny, Paul I

FT Mighty Mini Corsair - Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

FT Mini Scout - Aviatik D.I "Berg" flown by Austro-Hungarian ace Frank Linke-Crawford

XF Bloody Brit - Dan Sponholz - Eddie Rickenbacker

XF Bloody Baron - Dan Sponholz - Erst Udet

Gotha Gaggle Baby Barons- 26 skins to choose from!

Gotha Gaggle Baby Brits- 28 skins to choose from!
F16 Viper - Ben Harber - Thunderbird

MiniacRC FT Style Mighty Mini P40 - 4 skins Flying Tiger, SAAF, Pearl Harbor, Stud

I will be adding more as time permits. Check back later for new skins!
Thank you for your awesome work!

br0k3nilluzion

Rasterize, will you be reposting your Dart and Mini Arrow skins?
Just ordered another 2 Arrows for the daughters and looking to add some flair for them.

Rasterize

Mentor
Rasterize, will you be reposting your Dart and Mini Arrow skins?
Just ordered another 2 Arrows for the daughters and looking to add some flair for them.
Probably not soon. Long story short they were lost in the transition from the old FT Forum to the Resource section we have today. File size limits have killed the Dart skins for email and posting on the FT Resource pages. The Mini Arrow Streampunk had orientation issues once tested. Neither were revisited as other projects and life took up the time. However if you IM me you email I can see what I have and maybe send you a WeTransfer of the files.

cochise99

View attachment 112557

Grab a cuppa of your favorite beverage and peruse the index for your next "must build"!
Find the model you are interested in and click on the link.
This will take you to the skin resource page for that aircraft.
Check out the pictures to get an idea of what the skin looks like.
Then download the printable PDFs.

Happy building and go make some memories!
~ Stephen aka Rasterize

FT Simple Storch - Afrika Korp

FT MM DR1 Triplane - Red Baron

FT MM P51 Mustang - Old Crow, Bunny, Paul I

FT Mighty Mini Corsair - Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

FT Mini Scout - Aviatik D.I "Berg" flown by Austro-Hungarian ace Frank Linke-Crawford

XF Bloody Brit - Dan Sponholz - Eddie Rickenbacker

XF Bloody Baron - Dan Sponholz - Erst Udet

Gotha Gaggle Baby Barons- 26 skins to choose from!

Gotha Gaggle Baby Brits- 28 skins to choose from!
F16 Viper - Ben Harber - Thunderbird

MiniacRC FT Style Mighty Mini P40 - 4 skins Flying Tiger, SAAF, Pearl Harbor, Stud

I will be adding more as time permits. Check back later for new skins!
FAQ
My printer will only print letter sized paper. So where are all the 8.5X11 versions?
- Short answer, it's easier to do larger paper sizes (11X17 and 24X36 Arch D). Not only for designing but for building as well. Having them printed at a store like Staples or Office Max. It might cost a bit (.78 to 1.30 per page for 11X17 and $6 for a n Arch D 24x36) but you will get a more durable image. Toner is plastic after all. Long answer is that it's also boring and a bit of a pain to do them (effectively) in 8.5X11. I don't like the way apps do the clipping of images. I do all mine by hand in Illustrator so it takes longer. Time I could spend doing other things! Like more designs!
You however can print out larger sheets on your letter sized printer. Use Adobe Acrobat Reader (It's free) and do "Poster" printing (aka tiling) to print a large sheet onto smaller sheets that you cut and put back together.

Do you take requests? - Sure but this is not my full time job and the "to get done"list is already very long. See the next post.

Can I have your original art files? - Short answer - No. I already provide the PDF skins for free. I lock the PDF's to deter (a bit) the unscrupulous. Original files are not securable. I hope you understand.

How can I make my own skins? - You bet! Learn how to use a a vector based art program like Inkscape. This makes using FT plans easier. Inkscape is free and there are plenty of videos from the University of YouTube. ;) Community members like Rockyboy are even putting some tips and step by step instructions in their threads.

Basic build tips when using skins
  • Printing - Please check your Print Dialog box and make sure that under "Page Size & Handling" that the "Actual size" button is checked and NOT the "Fit" button. If "Fit" was chosen it can result in smaller sized prints even when the correct paper size is selected. So far this one tip, if not done, has wasted more time and money than anything else!
  • These are not beginner builds! You must be comfortable with the flite Test build method. I would also advise you build a few before attempting this. I learned much from my first build.
  • It is advisable that you download the full plans and have them available for viewing before beginning your build. You will need them for reference as score lines are usually not on the skin kits.
  • P51 - The extra turtle deck - It was the one piece I had the most issue with. The extra non-curved one was a last minute fail safe. In case something went wonky with a build, the builder would have this to use as a backup to custom cut.
  • Horizontal stabs - Do not cut out the two tabs that engage the fuse on the top skin. It is unnecessary and will detract from the look.
  • The Wing - I opted to just remove all the paper and only use the skins. I think after the spar is in it will be more than sufficiently strong. Take extra care in trimming the edges where the wing halves come together.
  • When a piece has two sides covered with skins:
    1. Rough cut one side of the skin from the paper
    2. Take an appropriate sized section of foam and peal the paper from both sides.
    3. Glue it to the foam
    4. Trim the foam to the skin. You should have the individual part shape at this point.
    5. Trim the other skin for the other side of the foam.
    6. Carefully align the second side skin to the foam and glue it in place.
  • The bottom of the fuselage - Take extra care when gluing the two bottom sections into place. Panel lines should line up and the paper on the edges should be flush for a clean look.
  • Sheeting - To keep the color between pieces the same I printed out everything on the same paper - 24lbs or 20lbs bond (75 or 90 gsm). For parts that require card stock, I just glued the printed sheet with a blank sheet to make it thicker, then cut the piece out.
  • Sharpie Touch Ups - Use black, light gray and medium to dark olive Sharpie for touch ups.
  • Weathering Tip - Use a silver fine tip Sharpie to simulate paint chipping.
  • P51 only - Landing Gear - You have several options in the gear and bay area. As a belly lander, cut and glue part of the gear bay doors so it overlaps the wing and fuselage. For a mustang with gear down, cut and glue in the "open bay" graphic, Again overlap the wing and fuse. Use the remaining gear doors to make yourself some killer looking landing gear! Can't wait for someone to do this!
  • Belly Landings - Protect you plane when doing belly landings so it stays awesome looking longer. Using packing tape on the undersides of the fuselage.
I know what a huge investment in time and energy these skins are. Thank you very much for your generosity in offering them to us.

Rasterize

Mentor
It's time!
I just finished up the skins for the Flying Tiger color scheme for the Flite Test P40. It turned out awesome! I added some extras like landing gear pods, skinned wheels (very durable with a Polyacrylic coating), graphics for gear up or down and guns in the wing. I even tested out gluing the skins without peeling off the paper first (unless directed to do so by the plans). I also am using a two-piece system on all control surfaces as well as treating the edges so that little, if any, white foam shows at all. Best of all, she flew and looked awesome in the air and on the ground!
I am also announcing the opening of www.fliteskins.com This is the first skin offered by my new site. Skins are printed on full sheets of 24X36 20 lbs bond paper and will include a full set of plans with each order for reference. Other skins I have created will be added soon. Enjoy the video and pics and check out the new site! Thanks for all the comments and offers of support!

Check out the "carousel" view and some flight footage video here.

BS5.jpg

BS6.jpg

BS8.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
It's time!
I just finished up the skins for the Flying Tiger color scheme for the Flite Test P40. It turned out awesome! I added some extras like landing gear pods, skinned wheels (very durable with a Polyacrylic coating), graphics for gear up or down and guns in the wing. I even tested out gluing the skins without peeling off the paper first (unless directed to do so by the plans). I also am using a two-piece system on all control surfaces as well as treating the edges so that little, if any, white foam shows at all. Best of all, she flew and looked awesome in the air and on the ground!
I am also announcing the opening of www.fliteskins.com This is the first skin offered by my new site. Skins are printed on full sheets of 24X36 20 lbs bond paper and will include a full set of plans with each order for reference. Other skins I have created will be added soon. Enjoy the video and pics and check out the new site! Thanks for all the comments and offers of support!

View attachment 133655

View attachment 133656

View attachment 133657
Congrats!!!!

cochise99

It's time!

View attachment 133655

View attachment 133656

View attachment 133657
I can't seem to find a method of establishing an "account" on your new website......... I ordered the skins for the P-40 and I am excited to get them.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
It's time!

View attachment 133655

View attachment 133656

View attachment 133657

ah man! where is the blooper reel? see if i maiden (crash) anymore of your planes for you... :LOL:

congats man! know how long you have been working for this, glad that it is finally coming together for you!

laters,

me :cool:

Rasterize

Mentor
ah man! where is the blooper reel? see if i maiden (crash) anymore of your planes for you... :LOL:

congats man! know how long you have been working for this, glad that it is finally coming together for you!

laters,

me :cool:

Thanks Bro! Yeah I know you hate crashing OPPs! lol Actually that footage is has moved up to A roll. My wife gave me the idea of using it in a repair video.

Rasterize

Mentor
I just have to say I am really digging having the wide format printer. With a max page size (so far) of 24X187 there is not too much (foam board wise) that I can't cover. I have been trying hard to get previous skins on the site as fast as I can.

Seahunter

I just have to say I am really digging having the wide format printer. With a max page size (so far) of 24X187 there is not too much (foam board wise) that I can't cover. I have been trying hard to get previous skins on the site as fast as I can.
Thanks, Your hard work is appreciated, Great job, expect many orders from myself and my building/flying partners. I received the P40 skins in great condition. Beautiful work :)
Fred

cochise99

Yes indeed............my absolute favorite WW II piston aircraft.......... Will it be relative same size as the P-40??? ...........and then a JUG...just because.........and then perhaps a P-51??........so many beauties.....so little time...........

Rasterize

Mentor
Will it be relative same size as the P-40??? ........so many beauties.....so little time...........

It's for the old FT Spitfire Wingspan: 42.5 Inches (1080mm) . The P40 was 46 Inches (1168mm). I don't know if I'll skin any of John Overstreet's planes yet. I assume that's what you mean by the P47. Maybe when more of his plans are available. If I did the Corsair would be first since I already did the FT MM Corsair and I have built the Overstreet version as well. For now I'm happy with the traditional FT style build aircraft. I have a traditional FT P51 swappable bt have yet to finish it off. Your right...so many beauties...so little time.

cochise99

That will be great as I never could find the plans for the 42" one. I'll thank you for each of them with respect for your efforts.