Progress...
1562212533796.png

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hey @Rasterize, I know your busy but if you ever have the time or interest, maybe consider doing Lt Col Robbin Olds's Scat II P-38 for the FT version when it comes out?
11606564p-38-olds-dekker-1-jpg.jpg

Its a pretty cool paint scheme and Robin Olds is one of the more storied air force pilots with 17 kills to his name.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
There's a plastic model decal set that shows some nice details on that one too!

KW144017.jpg

While we're tossing ideas out, I've always loved the desert camo scheme on the P-40! And there's a RAF desert version that's pretty snappy as well :D

shark1.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
Hey @Rasterize, I know your busy but if you ever have the time or interest, maybe consider doing Lt Col Robbin Olds's Scat II P-38 for the FT version when it comes out? Its a pretty cool paint scheme and Robin Olds is one of the more storied air force pilots with 17 kills to his name.

Tarmstr - I might but that would be long time in the future. No idea when they will release it. John seems to work in a very hands on process so the plans seem to be the last thing out. And plans are what I need. ;)

There's a plastic model decal set that shows some nice details on that one too!

rockyboy Thank you sir! Always have to research these things first.

While we're tossing ideas out, I've always loved the desert camo scheme on the P-40! And there's a RAF desert version that's pretty snappy as well :D

rockyboy That's actually pretty easy. Variants of an already done skin are much easier to do. Is there any more info on that color scheme?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
rockyboy That's actually pretty easy. Variants of an already done skin are much easier to do. Is there any more info on that color scheme?

This beauty is in the Planes of Fame museum collection - not sure if it's at their Chino, CA or Grand Canyon, AZ location though.
  • This airplane is also one of the Museum’s few actual combat veterans, having shot down a Japanese incendiary balloon off British Columbia.
  • The museum's aircraft is a Kittyhawk IV (equivalent to the P-40N in USAAF service), flown by the Royal Canadian Air Force. It is painted in the markings of the 325th Fighter Group.
  • Appearances in the movies Pearl Harbor and Valkyrie.
https://planesoffame.org/aircraft/plane-P-40N

P-40_rmpg.jpg

There was also a really neat photo shoot of this plane with a P-38 in 2012 that's documented here:

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gallery.php?AirtoAir=2012-04-25

Flying_tigersAVG_P-40.jpg
Air-to-Air-2012-04-25_P-40N_Warhawk_6533.jpg

Air-to-Air-2012-04-25_P-40N_Warhawk_-_P-38J_Lightning_6127.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
This beauty is in the Planes of Fame museum collection - not sure if it's at their Chino, CA or Grand Canyon, AZ location though.
  • This airplane is also one of the Museum’s few actual combat veterans, having shot down a Japanese incendiary balloon off British Columbia.
  • The museum's aircraft is a Kittyhawk IV (equivalent to the P-40N in USAAF service), flown by the Royal Canadian Air Force. It is painted in the markings of the 325th Fighter Group.
  • Appearances in the movies Pearl Harbor and Valkyrie.
https://planesoffame.org/aircraft/plane-P-40N

P-40_rmpg.jpg

There was also a really neat photo shoot of this plane with a P-38 in 2012 that's documented here:

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gallery.php?AirtoAir=2012-04-25

Flying_tigersAVG_P-40.jpg
Air-to-Air-2012-04-25_P-40N_Warhawk_6533.jpg

Air-to-Air-2012-04-25_P-40N_Warhawk_-_P-38J_Lightning_6127.jpg
This Color scheme is awesome. it gets my vote.

Rasterize

Mentor
These will look cool.
1563644975664.png

The camo pattern will be the same as the Flying Tiger just different colors of course.
All I have left is the new shark mouth and fuse insignia.
Variants of a finished skins do not take long. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
To get ready for the P-40 build, I gave away my FT Spitfire this weekend, and started on the CAD work to convert the P-40 plans for my needle cutter. Now I just need to get all the clutter and chair repair projects off the workbench / needle cutter!

Rasterize

Mentor
To get ready for the P-40 build, I gave away my FT Spitfire this weekend, and started on the CAD work to convert the P-40 plans for my needle cutter. Now I just need to get all the clutter and chair repair projects off the workbench / needle cutter!

I have a friend who has all the part to a neele cutter but has yet to make one. I have toyed with the idea of building one but after I bought this big honking printer, space is limited. ;) Just have to fix the hatch with the shark mouth. Building a "nose only" mock up to get the graphics right.

When do you think your Spitfire thingy will be done? I'm getting my kit tomorrow and I'd love to just glue the "decals" on there!

No real time frame on the Spitfire thingy as I'm working several planes at the same time. It is something I work on a little each day. What I can say is that the wings are done and the fuse is done. Just the tail and decking to go. Then I like to build one and tweak the details. This one will have a few slight changes. Mostly edge wraps and a new front turtle deck to accommodate the new canopy.

Update 7/23: Decking and H-stab done. Just the V-stab to go!

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
So here is an update post of the FT Spitfire "Battle of Britain" skins:
FT Proof.jpg

This skin kit includes some modification from the original plans. A very "Spitfire like" canopy with an extended upper turtle deck is included for that ture Spitfire look. Open areas on the front and back of the fuse as well as the bottom of the wings have been extended to allow for wrapping around the edges of the foam for a cleaner look. The extra plan parts complete the skin as an entire set of plans. There are even extra plan parts to cut out that you can place them directly on the foam to mark score and reference points. I still have two parts to tweek but it should only take an hour or so. I will Hopefully have a mock up by this weekend.

And here's a little plug for my skin printing service www.FlitSkins.com
When available, the Spitfire will be 24X119 inches not including a separate complete set of plans (another 75 more inches of printed goodness) that will accompany it. That's over 32 sq ft of printed RC warbird joy for $24 shipped to your door. That's 75 cents a sq ft. Compare that to $5 a sq ft at FedEx. You don't even have to leave the house! ;) Lastly you can rest assured that all the proceeds go right back into this crazy RC hobby. Well, after I pay off this monster printer that is. :p

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
And on another burner...
P40 Proof.jpg

The red circle (center bottom) it the only part left to go. Need to find some time to make the nose mockup and get the front of the shark mouth figured out.

Last edited: