Rasterize - Skindex

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Flite Test Simple Storch – Afrika Korp skins add to Fliteskins.com

FT Simple Storch - Afrika Korp Proof.jpg

The Fieseler Fi 156 V 2 Storch (Stork) observation and command plane was destined to become one of the most famous and versatile aircraft of World War II. This German flew such passengers as Hermann Göring, Benito Mussolini… and Even Winston Churchill. The famed “Desert Fox” and leader of the German Afrika Korps, Field Marshal Erwin Rommel; and almost all other senior German commanders, clamored for the sturdy little observation and command plane for their own use. The Storch was also the last German aircraft to be down on the western front being shot down with Colt 45’s by and American Piper Cub!
This skin allows you to model an aircraft used in North Africa to rescue downed German pilots. The aircraft can be built with or without the swastika on the tail. This is the largest skin set thus far measuring 24X157 for the skin and 24X102 for the plans. At over 43 sq feet of printed material, that’s only 77 cents per sq foot shipped!

Rasterize

Mentor
Soooo the Master Series P47 plans were released yesterday. I was asked if I will ever skin any master series planes. I did not know. They are considerably different for the regular FT build process. So I played around last night seeing if I could solve some of the issues I was concerned about. The biggest challenge would be something like a checkerboard pattern on the cowl. Here what I came up with on a first try:
Cowl Test 2.JPG

Looks like this when installed.

Cowl Test.JPG

Squares are to small. They need to be bigger but I think it's getting there. I like the engine graphic.
If I go for it, I think I would like to do this:

Snafu4.jpg

Let me know what you think!

chris398mx

Master member
Soooo the Master Series P47 plans were released yesterday. I was asked if I will ever skin any master series planes. I did not know. They are considerably different for the regular FT build process. So I played around last night seeing if I could solve some of the issues I was concerned about. The biggest challenge would be something like a checkerboard pattern on the cowl. Here what I came up with on a first try:
View attachment 140432

Looks like this when installed.

View attachment 140433

Squares are to small. They need to be bigger but I think it's getting there. I like the engine graphic.
If I go for it, I think I would like to do this:

View attachment 140434

Gets my vote.....looks awesome. plus it appears there will be more master series to follow and with your skins the SKY's the limit. :) Pun intended.

Berekiah

Soooo the Master Series P47 plans were released yesterday. I was asked if I will ever skin any master series planes. I did not know. They are considerably different for the regular FT build process. So I played around last night seeing if I could solve some of the issues I was concerned about. The biggest challenge would be something like a checkerboard pattern on the cowl.

Wow man that looks really good. Your skins become even greater when the master series plans look so accurate. I imagine it has to take even more time to skin a Master Series plane, but I would love to see skins for the upcoming P51 and especially the B17 and P38. These skins are such a great idea and I love that you are able to produce them and get them out to us.

I will definitely be purchasing some for my next project after I get my current Master Series Corsair finished. Don't need skins for that one :)

Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to showing off what I can do with your skins to my fellow club members soon!

Rasterize

Mentor
Since I'm considering skinning the FT P47, I decided to see what the plans would look like laid out on my 24" wide roll feed printer. Yikes! 183 inches! Thats over 15 ft long or over 45 sq ft of printed material. Well at least there's no tiling!

P47 Plans Proof.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
I'm never satisfied with what I do when making videos. Sound bad, lighting looks goofy, forget stuff I wanted to say etc etc. This Spitfire skinning/build video will be my undoing. ** End Rant **

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
no wonder we haven't seen you in awhile. :LOL:

wonderful work as always, just don't kill yourself! you gotta make time to always fly. i think it's Zen or Niche' or something? :unsure:

and um....can't wait for the "maiden", where should we put the camera? :sneaky::sneaky:;);):unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

can't wait to see them,

me :cool:

Rasterize

Mentor
no wonder we haven't seen you in awhile. :LOL: wonderful work as always, just don't kill yourself! you gotta make time to always fly. i think it's Zen or Niche' or something? :unsure:

Flying? What's that? These things fly? Really? It's been too long....

and um....can't wait for the "maiden", where should we put the camera? :sneaky::sneaky:;);):unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: can't wait to see them, me :cool:

Doh! I'll never live down not getting the on video...

Rasterize

Mentor
I'm never satisfied with what I do when making videos. Sound bad, lighting looks goofy, forget stuff I wanted to say etc etc. This Spitfire skinning/build video will be my undoing. ** End Rant **

Stupid build video! Ok, I give up. I'm done. Never been more frustrated. (n) Time to put all ideas of that aside for a while and go back to what I like to do: designing skins, building cool RC planes and flying them. (y)

Rasterize

Mentor
So I abandon doing a build video. Nothing sucks the joy right out of something than trying to document it.
Moving right along with the build now. Started the fuse. Here are some quick fuzzy phone shots:

248718_483054911e0f9d99741bba4d494a9ff6.jpg

Front mods showing how the skins now overlap the edges on the front nose a la the FT P40. Bottom plate has edge overlap as well. Note the overlap flaps have been pre-bent to the fuse shape. HAd to do something while my glue gun heated up... :)

248726_1a2b888056a79427d3fdb7fc0c6d1bc2.jpg

The rear has been given a similar treatment.

Rasterize

Mentor
***Spitfire Update***
Everything is together but the installation of the electronics. Only the wing servos are fitted. Spinner/prop are dummies for the pics. I have a 3 blade set on order. Going to try to maiden next Saturday. Here are some current shots of my Battle of Britain FT Spitfire for your viewing pleasure.

BOBFTSpit1.jpg

BOBFTSpit2.jpg

BOBFTSpit3.jpg

BOBFTSpit4.jpg

BOBFTSpit5.jpg

BOBFTSpit6.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
FT Spitfire skins are available at http://fliteskins.com/
I’ll have the free downloadable PDF’s available later (TBD) on the FT Resource page.

Last edited: