Rasterize - Skindex

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
The site is still down :(

😔 Unfortunately yes. No ETA on a fix. Could be a print head in which case I would close the site permanently. To expensive to justify. About half the cost of the machine for 1. I have just been to busy with work and school to pay it any attention.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
😔 Unfortunately yes. No ETA on a fix. Could be a print head in which case I would close the site permanently. To expensive to justify. About half the cost of the machine for 1. I have just been to busy with work and school to pay it any attention.
ok well don't stress out. I'll manage :)

Rasterize

Mentor
hi
i am designing my own skins and i am wondering what you did to simulate the wing ribs on the simple cub?

Hi jetcraft1!
I use a linear gradient in Illustrator (other apps have similar features) with the lighter color at 10% opacity and the darker at 0%. You can of course play with those numbers depending on the effect you want and the background color you are placing it over. This can be used in any scenario when the fabric is stretched over any substructure.

1618166247703.png

Hi jetcraft1!
I use a linear gradient in Illustrator (other apps have similar features) with the lighter color at 10% opacity and the darker at 0%. You can of course play with those numbers depending on the effect you want and the background color you are placing it over. This can be used in any scenario when the fabric is stretched over any substructure.

View attachment 197753
thank you.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@Rasterize , did you put the finished skins for the various planes in different *unofficial* Threads, or are they elsewhere?
I have a few planes I would like to try my hand looking pretty. Inkscape seems friendly enough. I wanted to take one of my designs that flies well and step it up a notch.

Rasterize

Mentor
@Rasterize , did you put the finished skins for the various planes in different *unofficial* Threads, or are they elsewhere?
I have a few planes I would like to try my hand looking pretty. Inkscape seems friendly enough. I wanted to take one of my designs that flies well and step it up a notch.

All the skins I currently have available for printing can be found here. Inkscape is the way to go if you want to create your own and avoid the monthly expense of Adobe Illustrator. It also has many YouTube tutorials available.

Rasterize

Mentor
So if you haven't been on the Flite Test Fan page on Facebook or follow any of John's threads, then you probably missed this!

1631314450503.png

My first skin printed on John Overstreet's new flatbed printer! That's right! The first 4 color pre-print Flite Test Speed Build kit being printed! Those heavy lines are the laser cuts in the foam. It's no secret this has been a dream of mine for a long time. After designing and using paper skins for over 10 years, this is defiantly the next step in the evolution of foam board RC planes! So excited to be working with John on this! Soo many benefits to printing directly to the foam. No messy spray glue and having to align paper skins, and it's already water-resistant so no additional protective coating needed. All this adds up to a beautiful aircraft with less weight and we all know what that means...a better flying experience! No more spray glue for me! Thanks, John for making this happen! The next year is going to be insane!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
So if you haven't been on the Flite Test Fan page on Facebook or follow any of John's threads, then you probably missed this!

View attachment 207288

My first skin printed on John Overstreet's new flatbed printer! That's right! The first 4 color pre-print Flite Test Speed Build kit being printed! Those heavy lines are the laser cuts in the foam. It's no secret this has been a dream of mine for a long time. After designing and using paper skins for over 10 years, this is defiantly the next step in the evolution of foam board RC planes! So excited to be working with John on this! Soo many benefits to printing directly to the foam. No messy spray glue and having to align paper skins, and it's already water-resistant so no additional protective coating needed. All this adds up to a beautiful aircraft with less weight and we all know what that means...a better flying experience! No more spray glue for me! Thanks, John for making this happen! The next year is going to be insane!
Congrats man!!!! It is amazing to see how FT makes your dreams come true. ;);)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Rasterize

Mentor
Congrats man!!!! It is amazing to see how FT makes your dreams come true. ;);)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Thanks! It truly is! I was laid off from my 20+ year job with Xerox and a year and a half ago. Last year was rough for many reasons. But two things happened in 2021: first my wife graduated college and entered the job market and second, I got this gig doing skins and some other marketing and graphic design stuff for John and FT! Sunday I go to Missouri to visit that beast of a printer and check out Flite Test Midwest! Gonna be a blast! I feel like McDonald's cause I'm loving' it! :giggle:

cochise99

I know your pain my friend. My Epson T-5000 spit an error code at me and I deciphered it to be, PRINT HEAD, OR FUSE ON MOTHER BOARD. I was a junior design engineer back in the 1960's and no stranger to current PC layouts. This one has me baffled and angry as I was just beginning to get some good projects for it in my custom image printing shop.
I wish you all the best with your new venture!!