Rasterize Skins for MiniacRC FT Style Mighty Mini P40

Rasterize Skins for MiniacRC FT Style Mighty Mini P40 2

Please log in to download

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Rasterize submitted a new resource:

Rasterize Skins for MiniacRC FT Style Might Mini P40 - Rasterize Skins for MiniacRC FT Style Might Mini P40

The iconic Curtis P40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk has held the imaginations of many a would be fighter pilot. Its fearsome shark tooth grin motif made famous by the American Volunteer Group is known worldwide. These four skins depict a range of P40 color schemes and are based on plans designed by community member MiniacRC. Check out the links below for his original plans, build guides and flight video for this awesome P40 model. Also don’t...

Read more about this resource...

ricomun

Just a heads up guys the arch D size skins can't be done as 'engineering plans' and need to be done as full posters to the tune of $30ish each from local print shops. If they were brought down to ledger size like the others then they wouldn't have this limitation.

Rasterize

Mentor
Just a heads up guys the arch D size skins can't be done as 'engineering plans' and need to be done as full posters to the tune of $30ish each from local print shops. If they were brought down to ledger size like the others then they wouldn't have this limitation.

But then you would have the limitation of taping or gluing parts together which introduces error. As an alternative you can tile the Arch D's to ledger (or any size) yourself. Flite Test tutorial is located here. I'm working on a solution as well. See here.

ricomun

Thanks, I am happy to give it a try. I just had a not so nice convo with my printer wondering how it makes sense to pay for a poster when I'm gluing it to foam board and cutting it out lol :) Changes the price from 7 bucks to over 30.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

That's not always true . . . and the person at that shop may not have been using their head or their shop doesn't print many plans.

The local ARC reprograhics shop (a fairly large chain) ran two sheets of Arch D last week for just under $3/ea (including tax). $6 out the door with a set of custom plans, emailed in and picked up a few hours later. Their print bed would do engineering prints off rolls in the 30" wide neighborhood, so a 24x36" Arch D was no big deal. All depends on which edge they print on the roll.

Just to point out, the local print shop may be perfect for flyers and mailers, and sometimes will fit your bill too, but the spot you're looking for is where the local architects and contractors get their plans printed. In general, look for "reprographics" shops -- what you want to print is their bread-and-butter business.

That being said, dropping down to an ANSI D (22x34) or A1 (23.1x33.1) will get the "bigger than 20x30" size, and will give more margin to fit commercial print shops, since Arch D is at the high end of that rough size. For my local shop, A0, ANSI E or Arch E would have been more spendy . . . I didn't ask by how much, but didn't need to.

Rasterize

Mentor
I agree with Crafty but be aware. Plans and architectural drawings and skins are really two very different things, well at least in one area that's important to your printer. Skins take up way more ink than architectural drawings (of FT plans) and that is a big part of the cost. If you can get 24X36 skins printed at $6 a sheet consider yourself lucky. If they printed them at 100% that is. Otherwise a 24X36 with heavy coverage (like skins) at $13 to $15 is reasonable. That's on plain white 20lbs bond uncoated cheap paper that is. Tell a printer that primarily prints architectural plans/drawing that you want "heavy coverage" and watch the price soar like a UMX Radian on a thermal!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

I have uploaded full size skins and plans to the Staples website here: https://www.staples.com/sbd/content/copyandprint/engineering-prints.html for local printout at the store near my house. I've done this for five Baby Barons, the Baby Bugatti, four builds of my Caudron C-46 and two builds of my FW-42 Mini projects. The Arch D sheets with heavy coverage cost me $6 each and the Arch E sheets were $12 each on the cheap 20lbs bond uncoated paper.

Yes, that's still a lot more than the foam cost, but it's worth it to me for the cool looks and not having to piece together lots of little pages. :D

Tailspin88

These skins are awesome! Is there anything special you need to do to print? Having some trouble printing the skins for the P-40. Printed the Cub skins with no problems but cant seem to get the P-40 to print.

Rasterize

Mentor
Need more info. What are you printing them from? Browser? Acrobat?

Tailspin88

Printing them from Acrobat. When ever i print them it prints out on a single 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper. Also I'm using a FedEx Print location near me.

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Ah, I see the issue. (or at least I think) The P40 skins are set up on a a single Arch D 24X36 sheet not for 8.5X11. You have two choices. 1) have it printed on a 24X36 inch sheet or 2) under Page Sizing & Handling in the print window select Poster. This will break down the 24X36 into 8.5X11 (or whatever you have it set for). It's not the most efficient at using paper space but it will work. Don't forget to give yourself some overlap!

Last edited: