Rasterize Skins for the FT Mini Scout 2018-08-31

Please log in to download

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Rasterize submitted a new resource:

Rasterize Skins for the FT Mini Scout - Rasterize Skins for the FT Mini Scout

FT Mini Scout - Aviatik D.I "Berg" Size 11X17
Based on the Aviatik D.I "Berg" flown by Austro-Hungarian ace Frank Linke-Crawford, this mini Scout has it all! Cockpit detail, dual Spandau machine guns and wheel covering to match the wild color scheme.
View attachment 113779

View attachment 113780
Aviatik D.I "Berg" as flown by Austro-Hungarian ace Frank Linke-Crawford

Read more about this resource...

Rasterize

Mentor
Thanks! Don't forget to post pics! I'd love to see the finished project. :)

hdkeney

I have a Flite Test kit of the FT Mighty Mini SE5 Biplane. Before I start building it, I would like to apply some skin to her.
(1) Are there any skins available for the Flite Test Mighty Mini SE5 Biplane?
and
(2) Are they available in a .pdf format that can they be printed out on regular 8.5"x11" printer paper on a regular printer?
I know I would most likely have to printout tiled pages and put them together, but I would like to try that first before I have to figure out how to deal with getting them done somewhere that can do it on larger sheets.
Thank you for your help...

Kendalf

Here's my completed Mini Scout with the "Berg" skin! When I first saw the skin I knew I had to make another Mini Scout using it. Those hexagons just pop out compared to other WWI designs.
Mini Scout Berg Skin (1).jpg Mini Scout Berg Skin (2).jpg Mini Scout Berg Skin (3).jpg Mini Scout Berg Skin (5).jpg
Mini Scout Berg Skin (4).jpg Mini Scout Berg Skin (6).jpg Mini Scout Berg Skin (7).jpg
I didn't try to add the machine guns, and I don't add landing gears to my planes because I fly in grassy fields. My printer couldn't quite match the pastel hues of the original pics. Hoping to maiden it tomorrow!

Rasterize

Mentor
Here's my completed Mini Scout with the "Berg" skin! When I first saw the skin I knew I had to make another Mini Scout using it. Those hexagons just pop out compared to other WWI designs.

That's sir is fantastic! I must say very well executed and clean. 5 Stars!

I didn't try to add the machine guns, and I don't add landing gears to my planes because I fly in grassy fields. My printer couldn't quite match the pastel hues of the original pics. Hoping to maiden it tomorrow!

I actually like the saturation level. You ain't kidding. That really pops!
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful Mini Scout. If you are in the FT Facebook group, please share them there as well.

Rasterize

Mentor
how do I use the skins...

Basic build tips when using skins
  • These are not beginner builds! You must be comfortable with the flite Test build method. I would also advise you build a few before attempting this. You will have a much easier time building and a better chance of a successful maiden. In other words, crash the white foam planes first until you can fly them well enough. Then try a skinned version.
  • It is advisable that you download the full plans and have them available for viewing before beginning your build. You will need them for reference as score lines are usually not on the skins.
  • Basic Tools: Dollar store foam board with paper removed, spray adhesive (3M77 or like kind), X-acto or razor knives (warning: cut hazard), Scissors, Roller or plastic squeegee like a credit card.
Basic build steps:

Cut out skin part with about 1/2 inch of white around it.
  1. Glue to foam with spray adhesive. I would spray the paper, give it a few seconds, then apply to the foam
  2. Roll or squeegee paper down for good contact
  3. Trim out part and foam
  4. Let dry completely
If the part has a second side
  1. Cut out the skin part from the paprt with no white around the edges
  2. Carefully align the second side skin to the foam and glue it in place.
  3. Roll or squeegee paper down for good contact
  4. Let dry completely
More Tips
  • Horizontal stabs - Do not cut out the two tabs that engage the fuse on the top skin. It is unnecessary and will detract from the look.
  • The Wing - I opted to just remove all the paper and only use the skins. I think after the spar is in it will be more than sufficiently strong. Take extra care in trimming the edges where the wing halves come together.
  • The bottom of the fuselage - Take extra care when gluing the two bottom sections into place. Panel lines should line up and the paper on the edges should be flush for a clean look.
  • Sheeting: (Turtle deck/Part out or card stock) To keep the color between pieces the same I printed out everything on the same paper - 24lbs or 20lbs bond (75 or 90 gsm). For parts that require card stock, I just glued the printed sheet with a blank sheet to make it thicker, then cut the piece out.
  • Sharpie Touch Ups - Use black, light gray and medium to dark olive Sharpie for touch ups.
  • Weathering Tip - Use a silver fine tip Sharpie to simulate paint chipping.
  • Belly Landings - Protect you plane when doing belly landings so it stays awesome looking longer. Using packing tape on the undersides of the fuselage.
what the best way to print them out. thanks
  • Printing Tips
  • If you print at home: Please check your Print Dialog box in Acrobat and make sure that under "Page Size & Handling" that the "Actual size" button is checked and NOT the "Fit" button. If "Fit" was chosen it can result in smaller sized prints even when the correct paper size is selected. So far this one tip, if not done, has wasted more time and money than anything else!
  • If you take it somewhere to get it printed, measure the ruler marks on the paper to ensure it’s the right size when you pick it up.

Rasterize

Mentor
I might release one that is formatted on a larger sheet that folks can tile on their own in Acrobat Reader. I won't have time to reformat a design or start any new ones till early next year. I working full time and going to school right now so free time is non-existant.