jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
That's a good idea. The cowl is the only part of the plane I'm not thrilled with. It really needs that round look up front. The trick is making a smooth transition from round cowl to the slab sides of the FT design.

Yeah no cowl dose put alittle hurt on the look tho it still looks great. But look into the pix of your plane cause some of them at the ends of there cowls have a gap 3/4 the way around the fuse (engine vents) that might help you get away with the transition Look i know the AT-6 has that. Idk but im going to try something On my build. Thought about a new FT fuse design giving that round/ oval look without Doing the full scale build with all the formers like a balsa plane

Rames

Maybe even a rounded square might be enough for the illusion. Have to play with it a bit. On another note, I see I got promoted from Junior Member to Member. Woo Hoo! I'm a somebody.

jayz 84

I look up the plane and it dose have the cowl engine vents lyletbda-1.jpg might help with the cowl transition if you deside to try one

jayz 84

Maybe even a rounded square might be enough for the illusion. Have to play with it a bit. On another note, I see I got promoted from Junior Member to Member. Woo Hoo! I'm a somebody.

Ahaha to funny. Itll change as your post get higher

jayz 84

You can also change it in your setting to say what you want

Rames

raTBD Devastator paint complete

Masked and ready for paint
masked.jpg

I used Rust-Oleum Gloss White for the bottom and Satin Slate Blue for uppers and outer wing panels. Not quite authentic, but cheap and easily matched.
bottom.jpg

forward paint.jpg

I made a torpedo just for fun.
rear paint.jpg

Next up: Markings and final scale touch-ups. First I have to take my daughter to the mall. Priorities, priorities.

Rames

Done!

Done. Just need to reattach the servos and the powerpod then fly until destroyed. I went with an early 1942 marking scheme. This plane roughly represents torpedo squadron VT-2 which flew of USS Lexington during Coral Sea. I chose this mostly because the bright red tail and meatballs are much appreciated by my 46 year old mk 1 eyeballs for orientation.

complete starboard.jpg
She won't fly with the torpedo. (Or, more accurately, land) It's just for show.

gun installed port.jpg
30 cal ring mount.jpg
.30 cal ring mount

ring mount.jpg
ring mount installed

telescope.jpg
torpedo telescope

That's it.

Rames

Awesome! It's so cool seeing all these new community designs pop up out of no where! Good work.

Thanks Nic. Your video series filled in a lot of missing pieces for me in converting drawings into plans. Much appreciated.

jayz 84

Thanks Nic. Your video series filled in a lot of missing pieces for me in converting drawings into plans. Much appreciated.

Yeah it really sounds like i need to find time to watch all nic's videos. So i can start making plans on the computer instead of on paper

JohnRambozo

Hey Rames,

I just found this thread for the first time from your signature line. Nice design. Are you bringing this one on Saturday?