RC Bomb Drop Mechanism

WillL84

Saw this on Thingiverse and finally printed it out. I printed two actually, going to mount one to each wing of my Legacy V2. All parts printed with PLA. Might reprint in PETG if I have any problems with the parts.

Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3735108

My make: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:1015688

Now I didn't have any M3 bolts long enough so I ended up tapping the doors with an M4 tap and then drilling out the plate holes with a 4.2mm drill. I then installed an M4x12 from one side and an M4x16 from the other until they butted together and snugged them up. Also there's no holes in the servo mounting posts and my 9g servos were a tad small so I just hot glued them to the plates. Then I drilled a small hole in the front door arm for the servo wire. Finally I drilled out the hole in the rear plate with a 2.5mm drill so the skewer would fit better. I used a dab of hot glue to glue the skewer and the small spring in place.

Short video of it in action:

20220224_205214.jpg

Battery800

Elite member
Saw this on Thingiverse and finally printed it out. I printed two actually, going to mount one to each wing of my Legacy V2. All parts printed with PLA. Might reprint in PETG if I have any problems with the parts.

Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3735108

My make: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:1015688

Now I didn't have any M3 bolts long enough so I ended up tapping the doors with an M4 tap and then drilling out the plate holes with a 4.2mm drill. I then installed an M4x12 from one side and an M4x16 from the other until they butted together and snugged them up. Also there's no holes in the servo mounting posts and my 9g servos were a tad small so I just hot glued them to the plates. Then I drilled a small hole in the front door arm for the servo wire. Finally I drilled out the hole in the rear plate with a 2.5mm drill so the skewer would fit better. I used a dab of hot glue to glue the skewer and the small spring in place.

Short video of it in action:

View attachment 220082
I was planning on adding bombs to my legacy too. I just saw this. Maybe the servos could be mounted in between a pair the other way around the double the amount of bombs?

WillL84

I was planning on adding bombs to my legacy too. I just saw this. Maybe the servos could be mounted in between a pair the other way around the double the amount of bombs?

I don't see why not honestly. I was thinking of mounting one where the bomb bay door is but I figured I'll mount one of these to each wing and then I can still use the bomb bay for parachute figurines or something lol

Battery800

Elite member
I don't see why not honestly. I was thinking of mounting one where the bomb bay door is but I figured I'll mount one of these to each wing and then I can still use the bomb bay for parachute figurines or something lol
thinking the exact same thing. also could be like modular rails between flaps and aileron that could fit many things

WillL84

thinking the exact same thing. also could be like modular rails between flaps and aileron that could fit many things

Seeing how these have a base plate that will get glue to the wings and then the actual bomb plate is held on with 3D printed nuts you could mount almost anything you wanted to the plates

Battery800

Elite member
Seeing how these have a base plate that will get glue to the wings and then the actual bomb plate is held on with 3D printed nuts you could mount almost anything you wanted to the plates
cool
What setup you using? I have a trimotor planned

Robert S

Bomb drop worked great. I put a brass screw in the nose of the bomb to help it fly well and that worked great to.

Only problem is... the mechinism doesn't hold up too well to belly landings in grass. I stripped the servo when i landed and the linkage was forced back against its will. The servo started to flutter and i could hear the gears grinding.

The bomb drop is a good design. It just isn't well suited for my appication. Time to try something ells.