• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

RC... but not RC

Hiya all,

Didn't know where to post this so I'm doing it here.

I just had the great idea of mounting a huge motor and propeller to my bicycle. It would be loud, very pointless, and would include a high risk of finger removal.

Is it possible to control an ESC with some kind of little knob? A PWM generator I guess?

I use servo testers for testing esc's all the time...

Need one of those cages fans used to have (you know, the old metal blade ones that would take a finger off! Lol)
Cheers! I’ll try a cheap servo tester. Now all I need is a huge 8S battery, a very large motor, and hmm... let’s say 40” wooden prop XD

120mm is usually around top end, though it looks like you found larger. though given the use, prop might be more effective in terms of power/not killing your batteries at that scale.
Yeah, I have two options for this build.
Either a huge motor mounted on the handlebars/front wheel with a big carbon fibre prop (incurring a large risk of finger removal) OR:
I could mount a couple of 70mm edfs under the seat. This is probably a safer option, but I don’t know if it would be able to produce enough thrust.
Which one would work better?

b-29er

i would advise neither of these options lol. The prop option, as you said, can remove fingers, but the edf option could wind up with a catistrophic failure that could shoot plastic into your seat and beyond. Theres been guys on RCG who have lost/nearly lost eyes while doing bench testing on 90mm units, so probably should consider them in the same realm of danger as a propeller for different reasons.

My advice would be if you want to do something like this, put the motors on a cargo rack. that way everything is safely behind you and out of prop arc.if you are looking for performance, go with a propeller with a cage. If you're just looking to make noise, go EDF.

Alternatively, if you're just trying to make an e-bike, you can get a kit on ebay pretty cheap and retrofit your bike...might save you a finger or two.

i would advise neither of these options lol. The prop option, as you said, can remove fingers, but the edf option could wind up with a catistrophic failure that could shoot plastic into your seat and beyond. Theres been guys on RCG who have lost/nearly lost eyes while doing bench testing on 90mm units, so probably should consider them in the same realm of danger as a propeller for different reasons.

My advice would be if you want to do something like this, put the motors on a cargo rack. that way everything is safely behind you and out of prop arc.if you are looking for performance, go with a propeller with a cage. If you're just looking to make noise, go EDF.

Alternatively, if you're just trying to make an e-bike, you can get a kit on ebay pretty cheap and retrofit your bike...might save you a finger or two.
I think I will go for EDFs on a cargo rack then ;)
The aim of this project is to spend £50 and then roar around the common (even if the motors produce no thrust) making an almighty noise. Don't even ask why.

b-29er

Just a potentially cheaper compromise here, you may look at some of the BDFs that mid7nigh was using on the b-52, which is just a fairly cheap multirotor motor with a 5" prop in a 3d printed shroud. would make more noise, more thrust at lower pitch speed and cost less.

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
I think I will go for EDFs on a cargo rack then ;)
The aim of this project is to spend £50 and then roar around the common (even if the motors produce no thrust) making an almighty noise. Don't even ask why.
Hmmmmm..... every time a car with a fart can goes by, it would be nice to spool up a big turbine and afterburner.... LOL.

CrazyFastFlying