RC Fantasies.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
What is that one thing you've always wanted to do with RC? Whether it's planes, trains, or automobiles. And helis and multicopters, of course.

I'm not starting this thread looking for suggestions as to what you would love to see or for advice on how to do stuff. This is simply a hypothetical question on what you would do if you have the time, money, and disregard for physics to do whatever you wanted. Again, this is about what you personally would love to do if you could. Not about what others are doing. Not about what you want to see. But what you personally want to experience by doing it yourself.

I'll start with what I've been thinking about doing even since I got into this hobby and before I knew it was actually easy to do. I live about 8 miles from Blue Mounds State Park. Which is the highest point in Southern Wisconsin. Since it's the highest point, it is easy to see from my parents farm. With a keen eye or the help from binoculars, my parents farm can easily be seen from Blue Mounds State Park as well. I would love to either fly FPV from the State Park to my parents farm, or have it fly it's self, all the while recording a nice aerial video.

Of course I know this is possible. But I don't have the time or money to actually do it. But if I did I know that I can easily take off in a big field that is on top of the hill that is Blue Mounds. Or I could even hand launch it off of one of the two towers on top of the hill. Since I'm looking for an aerial video, and not an FPV experience, I could have some one throw it off of a tower with the GPS go to home feature set at my parents farm and then wait for the plane to show up.

Mine is simple enough, but rather lame. I'm curious to what others have always wanted to do.

Oh, and true to my name, I would love to have my own Mars Rover that I could control/drive around. But who doesn't want one of those?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I don't need a Mars rover, but my own camera in space would be awesome! Like my own personal Hubble...Except I want a better camera than a Gopro!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
My dream is to work in my own multirotor aerial photography and videography company.

rockets4kids

Having recently completed 100% scratch built rockets (including motors and flight computer) I am now working on 100% scratch-built airplanes, including my own custom TX to run OpenTX and my own RX to run OpenLRS (or something like it.)

rcspaceflight

My dream is to work in my own multirotor aerial photography and videography company.

I thought about trying to start a business where I would take aerial photos of farmer's fields in order to inspect for weeds and insect damage. Then I would recommend the most efficient use of herbicides and insecticides. "Drones", as the public refers to them, are becoming more accepted and looked at for their uses. I think next year will be when they start to be accepted and it's always good to be the first to start something. Being first to start a business gives a nice competitive edge. I doubt I'll actually seriously look into it because of the upfront costs and I've never flown a multicopter yet. I'd either need a very trusted set up, or a complete backup system. Probably both. And two good FPV set ups costs a lot. And since no ones really doing it, it's hard to tell how many potential customers there will be.

lonewolf7717

I thought about trying to start a business where I would take aerial photos of farmer's fields in order to inspect for weeds and insect damage. Then I would recommend the most efficient use of herbicides and insecticides. "Drones", as the public refers to them, are becoming more accepted and looked at for their uses. I think next year will be when they start to be accepted and it's always good to be the first to start something. Being first to start a business gives a nice competitive edge. I doubt I'll actually seriously look into it because of the upfront costs and I've never flown a multicopter yet. I'd either need a very trusted set up, or a complete backup system. Probably both. And two good FPV set ups costs a lot. And since no ones really doing it, it's hard to tell how many potential customers there will be.
unfortunately here in the U.S. utilizing amateur "drones" for commercial AP work is patently illegal. So as of now, basing a business on such a plan would have to wait. Although I love your idea due to my background in Horticulture and agriculture.

RoyBro

Mentor
I think my rc fantasy would to be to work at flitetest with the guys. Everything else would just fall into place.

Hey, it is a fantasy after all. :p

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I would be more inclined to the "Honey I shrunk myself" so I can REALLY fly these many craft I have built.

Thurmond

eagle4

lonewolf... what if you filmed it, then charged them only for the 'video editing' that way you're not charging to fly but to sit at your pc editing the footage together... just a thought

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
It would take a court appearance and a bit of time and money to argue that one! :mad:

Thurmond

rcspaceflight

unfortunately here in the U.S. utilizing amateur "drones" for commercial AP work is patently illegal. So as of now, basing a business on such a plan would have to wait. Although I love your idea due to my background in Horticulture and agriculture.

I learn something new every time I look at this forum.

Maybe the money is in making easy to use, farmer proof "drones" to sell to farmers so they can inspect their fields themselves. But that would be an even harder sell. Seriously, it isn't something I would ever actually get into. But it would be a fun second/part-time job.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I learn something new every time I look at this forum.

Maybe the money is in making easy to use, farmer proof "drones" to sell to farmers so they can inspect their fields themselves. But that would be an even harder sell. Seriously, it isn't something I would ever actually get into. But it would be a fun second/part-time job.

Don't give up the dream, but don't ask for seed money yet either.

First off, it isn't pattently illegal, it's policy'ed illegal -- and inproperly formed policy at that. I'm not particularly a fan, but I think Trappy is about to have the court slap the FAA for simply making up rules with out proper procedure or consistant application. The court hasn't rulled yet, but there's a darn good chance it'll dismiss the case outright. check out:

http://www.kramerlevin.com/files/upload/FAA-v-Pirker.pdf

Now if the court *does* throw out the case, the FAA is still on the hook to congress for generating regulation for unmaned platforms (call it model/UAS/UAV/Drone) via proper methods and suggestions to congress for law. In the end, hopefully, a workable solution for both the hobbyist and commercial remote pilot will be hashed out, but no one knows what that looks like yet.

Second . . . it's those second/part-time jobs that can blossom into carreers that many envy but few can get into. Keep learning, working, and playing with it . . . and get an engineering degree if you can -- In a good program you'll learn a *lot* of useful analysis and design methods for that "side job", and it's not a bad fall-back career if that "rockstar" UAS operator job never comes along.

RoyBro

Mentor
...but I think Trappy is about to have the court slap the FAA for simply making up rules with out proper procedure or consistant application. The court hasn't rulled yet, but there's a darn good chance it'll dismiss the case outright.

Does anyone have any idea when this goes back to court? Or when we'll know if the motion to dismiss was successful or unsuccessful?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Does anyone have any idea when this goes back to court? Or when we'll know if the motion to dismiss was successful or unsuccessful?

dunno, but the request for dismissal was dated 9/27/13. Regardless of what silly peice of paper that "guarantees" speedy trials, it's like many of the other promises from our overlords -- no telling when the judge will get around to reading it . . .