RC Fixed Wing Stabilizer

Jackson Hawker

I was wondering if anyone has found a really affordable stabilizer for their planes. I know the flight test one works good but its a little out of my Price range. I was just wondering if there is any more affordable solutions.

I was wondering if anyone has found a really affordable stabilizer for their planes. I know the flight test one works good but its a little out of my Price range. I was just wondering if there is any more affordable solutions.
I have the Hobbyeagle A3-L(V2) on the way in the mail. Haven't used it yet but seems to be a well known legit brand and a respectable unit. It's the most basic of I think three models but will cover any needs I have for a long time. $26.00

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have installed, setup, and test flown a number of entry level flight stabilisers. The one I prefer if buying on price alone is the NX3 from Banggood.
It has 3 operating modes, (2 stabilised). It has a basic stabilised mode, an OFF mode, and a mode akin to "SAFE" mode.
In the SAFE mode the model cannot be flown inverted and will self right if the control sticks are released.

My personal favourite stabiliser is the ZOHD but it is more expensive and has a GPS - return to home feature.

Have fun!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
does the NX3 have "coherent" instructions?...Im not buying anything else when the manufacturer cant be bothered to provide "proper" user instructions

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
does the NX3 have "coherent" instructions?...Im not buying anything else when the manufacturer cant be bothered to provide "proper" user instructions
The only incoherent portion is their description of the modes of stabilisation but it is easy to determine the modes by turning it on and then inverting the model. If it applies aileron continuously then it is in the SAFE mode. Otherwise it is pretty straight forward and there are many on the forum who have some experience with them.

From memory I am sure you can download the setup instructions from the internet.

Have fun!

danskis

Master member
I believe there are some youtube videos on it. There is a learning curve - especially with your transmitter if you haven't assigned switches before this but I believe this applies to any flight controller. Plus, once you assign it to a 3 position switch its easy (but not mandatory) to reset "level" before a flight.

Jackson Hawker

I have installed, setup, and test flown a number of entry level flight stabilisers. The one I prefer if buying on price alone is the NX3 from Banggood.
It has 3 operating modes, (2 stabilised). It has a basic stabilised mode, an OFF mode, and a mode akin to "SAFE" mode.
In the SAFE mode the model cannot be flown inverted and will self right if the control sticks are released.

My personal favourite stabiliser is the ZOHD but it is more expensive and has a GPS - return to home feature.

Have fun!
Thanks

Jackson Hawker

I have the Hobbyeagle A3-L(V2) on the way in the mail. Haven't used it yet but seems to be a well known legit brand and a respectable unit. It's the most basic of I think three models but will cover any needs I have for a long time. $26.00
Nx3 or Nx3 evo?

quorneng

Master member
If you are still mastering a normal plane, as distinct from learning to fly from scratch by yourself, then a simple 3 axis gyro is all you need.
It does not stop you doing anything dramatic including aerobatics but it slows the reaction of the plane to outside influences and minor control inputs. It simply becomes much more 'gentle' to fly but will still behave normally to major control inputs.
Ideally you do want to be able to switch the gyro off via the transmitter so once in the air you can try 'with and without' to see the difference.

If you ever get round to designing and building (or modifying) your own plane it won't make a 'bad' plane fly but it certainly makes those first few seconds of a maiden flight less stressful.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I just noticed no return to home, guess I will stay with the zohd kopilot Im using IT HAS RETURN TO HOME, it surely cost more but for fpv craft I need the RTH feature....
thanks guys

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
When setting up any stabilizer bench test, bench test, and bench test some more to be SURE all control surfices are reacting in the correct direction in all modes.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
When setting up any stabilizer bench test, bench test, and bench test some more to be SURE all control surfices are reacting in the correct direction in all modes.
anyone setting up a FC for the first time...the most important step is to make certain your plane is "trimmed out and flying like its on a rail" or you wont know if the flight controller is your issue or its your dodgy build and setup ......pay close attention to "leveling" the plane during FC setup, also start off with minimal gains to prevent wild and unexpected oscillations...
take baby steps ....as posted above bench test, bench test, I have seen far too many posts where guys drill their newly built plane into the ground setting up flight controllers to compensate for their flying skills only to make things worse because they didnt setup proper

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I started to look into this but the instructions dont make sense to me already

when setting up a flying wing..... 2 ailerons and some mixing

delta.jpg

but looking at the setup for delta it shows cables from the RX rudder to the flight controller rudder in and then from the flight controller rudder out to the rudder servo

can this NOT be used on flying wings ? my wings dont have rudders
appreciate any insight

Last edited: