RC Fixed Wing Stabilizer

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm a big fan of the Zohd Kopilot lite myself. Not prohibitively expensive for something with GPS and RTH. The best part is how simple it is to install and set up, great for beginners or anyone looking to have simple RTH on an FPV platform.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I'm a big fan of the Zohd Kopilot lite myself. Not prohibitively expensive for something with GPS and RTH. The best part is how simple it is to install and set up, great for beginners or anyone looking to have simple RTH on an FPV platform.
Oh I agree............ I made a how to install video for the kopilot and cheaper older "PWM" radios and I used an old FlySky FS i6 as the PWM connection example radio...... all the how to videos were for the sbus and taranis or jumper etc

I just am confused about the NX3 and if it can be used with a wing that doesnt have a rudder 3rd axis

& it just occurred to me the kopilot doesnt use the rudder there are only gain pots for the ailerons and elevator

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I started to look into this but the instructions dont make sense to me already

when setting up a flying wing..... 2 ailerons and some mixing

View attachment 167415
but looking at the setup for delta it shows cables from the RX rudder to the flight controller rudder in and then from the flight controller rudder out to the rudder servo

can this NOT be used on flying wings ? my wings dont have rudders
appreciate any insight
The flight controller checks all of its inputs before enabling the controller function so all of the inputs must be connected but the outputs need only be connected if required.

The delta mode should be selected for use with a flying wing but the mixing in the transmitter should be removed totally or the operation will not be correct.

It works for me!

Have fun!

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I understand that there are several different stabilizers out there. It think there is also a different thread talking about the Lemon stabilizer. Do you folks have any extra thought about the Lemon brand stabilizer ?

Al

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
The flight controller checks all of its inputs before enabling the controller function so all of the inputs must be connected but the outputs need only be connected if required.

The delta mode should be selected for use with a flying wing but the mixing in the transmitter should be removed totally or the operation will not be correct.

It works for me!

Have fun!
thanks for that..............need to start with a clean model

refering to my original question......does the NX3 have "coherent" instructions? ....answer NO

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
thanks for that..............need to start with a clean model

refering to my original question......does the NX3 have "coherent" instructions? ....answer NO
Fortunately I had already installed and evaluated a number of other flight controllers/stabilisers that had their manual written in Chinglish and so I was able to decipher the manual eventually.

If you just ensure that all of the inputs to the stabiliser are fitted correctly then the rest is easy to figure out in a reasonably short time!

Have fun!

Mozella

I use FrSky equipment and I particularly like their 6 and 8 channel receivers with stabilization built in. Price around 30 bucks. The cost for this feature is only a dollar or two above their non stabilized receivers; essentially free. I use them in ALL my hand launched planes which are set up for wings level and a moderate nose up climb. Any kind of casual toss will work because the gyro instantly sets the aircraft into a climb so I can take my time getting to the sticks. When I'm ready I switch off the wings level mode and fly normally, usually with stabilization which makes small airplanes fly like larger ones, especially in gusty conditions. The gain is adjustable in flight. They even have a hover mode and a knife edge mode. Of course the wings level mode is valuable for beginners too because if you stop moving the sticks, the airplane will fly straight and level all by itself.

chrisvdv

jerryn

I have installed, setup, and test flown a number of entry level flight stabilisers. The one I prefer if buying on price alone is the NX3 from Banggood.
It has 3 operating modes, (2 stabilised). It has a basic stabilised mode, an OFF mode, and a mode akin to "SAFE" mode.
In the SAFE mode the model cannot be flown inverted and will self right if the control sticks are released.

My personal favourite stabiliser is the ZOHD but it is more expensive and has a GPS - return to home feature.

Have fun!
How is the ZOHD Stabilizer working out ? Does it work well in windy areas ? It could be handy when fly FPV and the radio connection drops.
It would be great if failsafe was RTH and land!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
How is the ZOHD Stabilizer working out ? Does it work well in windy areas ? It could be handy when fly FPV and the radio connection drops.
zohd works well but if you have many obstructions over 100ft the zohd can fly into them,.....I cant use mine because of TREES

look at the sparrow its the same thing its a clone but with a couple more features and RTH altitude is 300Ft
https://www.banggood.com/AFPV-SN-Sp...plane-Fixed-Wing-p-1356353.html?rmmds=myorder

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I set it up for a nervous beginner to use on his Trojan and he just opens the throttle to take off as the ZOHD does everything including a nice climb out and for landing he just lines it up and cuts the throttle. The Zohd lands quite well, (a little heavy), everytime.

We haven't done a deliberate LOS yet but we do have a dual receiver adapter to try the RTH initiated by failsafe in the future.

Have fun!

chrisvdv

As said before.......Make sure you understand the technical differences between "Stabilizers" and flight controllers.
A ZOHD is not a stabilizer but a flight controller while Lemon stabilizers are only stabilizers.

tamuct01

I have used the FrSky SxR line of receivers (S8R/S6R) with much success. The setup is a little wonky, but there are plenty of online resources to help. These are receiver and stabilizer in one. The basic setup gives you self-level mode, stabilized mode, and regular (off) mode. In the advanced setup, you can add knife-edge and hover modes as well.

jerryn

I have used the FrSky SxR line of receivers (S8R/S6R) with much success. The setup is a little wonky, but there are plenty of online resources to help. These are receiver and stabilizer in one. The basic setup gives you self-level mode, stabilized mode, and regular (off) mode. In the advanced setup, you can add knife-edge and hover modes as well.
That's what I initially installed in the Nano Goblin. I had sensitivity turned down and it was still twitchy. Twitchy to the point where no stabilization was better. But the Nano Goblin in high winds is nutz. It flies like a wild bird.

jerryn

Here's yesterday's flight of my Nano Goblin with the Flight Test Aura 5 Lite board. MAN! What a difference. Now I need to replace my fpv camera, no big deal. You can see the pitts on the sinopine lens in this flight. With the S6R I the Nano initially took some hard landings. The fellow club member that was there said .. "Wow, you have that small airplane trimmed and locked in, it flies like a much larger airplane"
The video has clear view of the airsock, the wind was mild with some gusts.
Flight Test, I think you have a winner of a controller here! Usually it takes many attempts to get the PIDs and rates right for a flight as stable and level as shown in the video.

Tonero311

Can any of the flight stabilizers be used with twin motors/differential throttle? I got a Zohd Kopilot Lite and haven't been able to find a way to make it work.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Can any of the flight stabilizers be used with twin motors/differential throttle? I got a Zohd Kopilot Lite and haven't been able to find a way to make it work.

I have a pretty fair working knowledge of the zohd but I dont know if this is possible with diff thrust, but I will work with you trying to find out...good problem.
what are the symptoms that you experience FROM the ZOHD? is anything working? aileron or elevator response? any throttle response?

what brand ESC are you using?

did you have your model working proper including diff thrust before you installed the zohd?....if so the first issue maybe.....(important, zohd doesnt work with mixes), needs to start with a clean model, if you had a diff thrust mix that would mess up proper set up.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
most/all autopilots need to be setup to get raw (not mixed) input from the TX and the autopilot needs to do the mixing.

looking at the KoPilot Light manual, I don't see anything about setting up differential thrust.