RC Fixed Wing Stabilizer

Tonero311

I have a pretty fair working knowledge of the zohd but I dont know if this is possible with diff thrust, but I will work with you trying to find out...good problem.
what are the symptoms that you experience FROM the ZOHD? is anything working? aileron or elevator response? any throttle response?

what brand ESC are you using?

did you have your model working proper including diff thrust before you installed the zohd?....if so the first issue maybe.....(important, zohd doesnt work with mixes), needs to start with a clean model, if you had a diff thrust mix that would mess up proper set up.

The Zohd Kopilot hasn't arrived in the post yet. It was originally intended for an A-10 I'm working on. The A-10 is setup perfect for maiden flight at the minute. I was just looking for it as an aid for the auto launch and RTH. I wonder if there is a way to do it without throttle and rudder function? Just have it stabilise pitch and roll.
Think I might just have a plump up for an Aura 5 in the future. Though that can wait for next build.

Tonero311

most/all autopilots need to be setup to get raw (not mixed) input from the TX and the autopilot needs to do the mixing.

looking at the KoPilot Light manual, I don't see anything about setting up differential thrust.

This is what I have found too. FT-Aura5 being the only exception I have reliably found so far, without stepping up to iNac/Ardupilot type setups.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
The Zohd Kopilot hasn't arrived in the post yet. It was originally intended for an A-10 I'm working on. The A-10 is setup perfect for maiden flight at the minute. I was just looking for it as an aid for the auto launch and RTH. I wonder if there is a way to do it without throttle and rudder function? Just have it stabilize pitch and roll.
Think I might just have a plump up for an Aura 5 in the future. Though that can wait for next build.

Ok cool upcoming project got it, so here is what I have done regarding mixes so far testing...after the zohd was setup and tested to be working correct, I decided to test a mix >>>BUT this after the zohd was all setup and calibrated with control board, adjusted and saved

I tried a fairly harmless mix of inducing 15% up elevator at the flip of a toggle switch, ....baby steps baby steps, then I added elevon differential again there are no ill affects, Im going to test more mixes soon as weather permits, its been raining for weeks, but I think all will be OK since the zohd setting were saved and the mixes are programed afterwards

so I would try setup using a standard T tail, setup ONE motor connected and get the zohd setup and responding proper on the bench, then program in your differential throttle and test again on the bench to see if you can it looking like its responding to make you feel comfortable testing it .I really dont know what to expect, none of the disscusion boards I visit regarding the zohd have posed the question

if you try to get the zohd working with diff thrust please post what you find, Im interested for future projects as well

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
you could also do some post zohd mixing on a MCU that takes in the rudder + throttle out from the zohd and gives out the 2 differential thrust signals to the motors (but how far at that point until you might as well just use a 'full featured' Flight controller, or build your own).

tbailey

I have a bunch of FT hand launch planes and just built the Master Series Mustang - after the hours, it wasnt something I wanted to crash on first launch. I bought the S8R FrSky receiver, but I just cant get it to work with any of the videos.

The Problem: I can configure gyros out of the box and get it trimmed but I cant get it to enter self-check mode with the FS button or the channel 12 switch moving in/out of the center position.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure its something simple Im missing...

speedy7385

I use LemonRx stabilizer plus, has normal, gyro stabilizing and auto leveling. ~$30
Kopilot lite is good, if you are using fpv. gps and rtl and launch assist is nice. with the v400 camera, has osd that
shows main battery level. ~$40 and need a receiver.

robonav

That's no good for many planes and seems strange to me becouse nowdays one servo for ailerons is rather common

Flite Risk

Airlines yes but he won't get a flap around configuration out of the ko-pilot.

I think what you're looking for my friend is a flight controller. Full-blown betaflight or iNav

Flite Risk

I've never used that specifically or flown a plane with it either but as I understand it that would be an ideal flight controller for what you're looking for.

Don't take my word for it to make your final decision, do your own research but I think that'd be a good start. It is a little more pricey than the ko-pilot but that is way more capable . There are other fight controllers out there.

Painless360 does a phenomenal job of reviewing them and also going over setup.

also

#blameandre did a recent iNav setup of a matek flying wing.

Flite Risk

Airlines yes but he won't get a flap around configuration out of the ko-pilot.

I think what you're looking for my friend is a flight controller. Full-blown betaflight or iNav
Dagnabbit it is 2021 why doesn't Voice to Text work. Hopefully somebody laughed at that anyways

sundragon

i have not heard of it, im pretty familiar with it the Kopilot

99.79% sure it is not available.
Hi, forgive me for reopening this thread. Google brought me here as I was considering a simple FC for a fixed wing with two Aileron servos that is set up for Flaperons. There an is the AUX channel on the Zhod so is it possible to map the second aileron servo to the AUX channel? That way you have one to the main Aileron channel and Aux to control the other.

sundragon

If not, is there a FC you all recommend for fixed wing? Something with 5+ channels, S-bus, and we can set up with Flaperons.