RC Flyers Insurance

JDizle96

So I was talking with another hobbiest and he mentioned that he had some sort of fliers insurance or something. Basically what he said is that it covered him just incase his planes went through someones window or smashed into someones car or worst yet, looses control and injures someone.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it a good idea to have? Has anyone ever been in a situation where they wished they had this?

Also, if this isnt the right place for this post, someone can feel fre to move it to the more appropriate thread.

Thanks.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Actually, this is the Perfect place to post :)

Welcome to the Forum JDizle.

The insurance the other hobbyist was likely referring to is a feature of an AMA membership -- the Academy of Model Aeronautics provides a basic insurance plan included in your annual dues. Follow their rules (in general, they're sensible), and effectively you're covered.

there's plenty more that comes with the membership, and there are some who question it's value. I'd encourage you to keep looking into it, but the choice is ultimately yours.

More details are over on their site:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/membership/overview.aspx

Bricks

Master member
May want to check either renters insurance or home owners insurance will cover liability issues.

brian79cj

I think you have to be flying at an AMA field for the insurance to be in effect. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think you have to be flying at an AMA field for the insurance to be in effect. Anyone know for sure?

That is not the case according to the summary:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/InsuranceSummaryMembers.pdf

There is a $250 deductible the member is responsible for, and they need be flying non-commercial/in accordance to park piloting guidelines:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/545.pdf

So models have to be 2lbs or less, and under 60MPH.

Of course, clubs have their own insurance -- which covers internal combustion, larger planes, etc... for those specialty fields. As an example, my club flies primarily at a public park (in cooperation with the town) and requires members to only fly rubber/electric/gliders there (Davis Field in Sudbury, MA) -- but also partners with another club to fly IC and larger planes at another site (Bill Martin Field) in a more remote area with a locked gate.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

Nope!

The only restriction is that RC flying is not prohibited at the flying site -- fly on school grounds where you haven't been told not to, and your OK. Fly on some random farmer's field, and you might be arrested/accosted for trespass, but you're still covered, up to the point you are asked to leave (politely or with a shotgun). Fly in a federal park where RC flight is prohibited in general, and you're not covered.

The reverse, however is not true -- to fly at an AMA sanctioned event or chartered club field (but not at all public fields some chartered clubs use) you must have an AMA membership, but that's a requirement of the event/field, not AMA's insurance.

brian79cj

Does anyone know what happens after you make a claim? Do they take your card? Do they deny the claim if they can prove some negligence on your part? IE: improper build technique? Maintenance safety? Scratch-built uncontrollably bad design? I am just skeptical of insurance companies.

brian79cj

Quote from AM website "1 Flying model aircraft is a fun, safe, educational and rewarding activity. By accepting an AMA membership, I agree to comply with the AMA Safety Code for all applicable flying model aircraft operation. I am aware that model aircraft are sometimes involved in accidents. I exempt, waiver, and relieve the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Incorporated (AMA) from all current or future liability claims caused by negligence."

Your Membership Comes With All This.

Flying models is a safe activity. But sometimes accidents can happen involving people or property. Enjoy peace of mind flying by knowing the AMA has you covered. It would cost you $1,000 a year or more to buy this insurance on your own. And you’re covered whether you choose to fly at an AMA club field, park, backyard or wherever.

AMA Safety Code https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

This is all I can find about the ins policy and I'm still skeptical. I have it but really hope to not ever need it. Anyone else have any experience with it? Also does everyone put their name and AMA number on all their planes?

Last edited:

Khaptin

I tried adding my multi rotor onto my insurance (home owners). I have my cameras (5d mk II and 40d) as well as some lenses added into my coverage, which is nice if I drop one. However they said there were no options for adding my f550! If I understood right though I think they will cover personal damage if I crash into someone elses property (car etc).

But don't take my word for it, you have to check with your insurance agent and find out about your scenario.

If they do let you add it to your homeowners or renters insurance I'm guessing it won't be to expensive, at least for my camera gear it isn't.