RC Flying Checklist

Tally Reign

Wow, wish I'd found your list before I sat down and did mine! After "43. Space 44. Time" I was expecting to see "45. Money", that's been the largest limiting factor for me so far :D Good luck with your goals! Anything B-17 related wins points from me!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
You guys are really good at complicating things.

All you really need:
1) Tx/Rx
2) Battery
3) Battery charger
4) ARF Plane
5) Money for new ARF Plane

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RCSF,

So how exactly are you going to fly that ARF w/o an ESC, motor or servos? (most ARFs will lack one if not all)

And *WHY* are you in this hobby if you don't enjoy making things complicated?!?!?!? Otherwise you should have stuck with a crappy foam chuck glider ;)

If you really want a simple list:

1) RTF kit, assembled by the shop owner
2) Garbage bag to carry it home in

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RTF = Ready To Fly -- everything is in the kit with almost no assembly/adjustment
ARF = Almost Ready to Fly -- missing some parts, and some assembly required, but usually less than an hours worth of work

Yeah, you probably meant RTF, but after the garbage bag experience the average would-be pilot doesn't repeat the process.

The OP list I see as a scratch builder's tools and supply list -- not nessisarily what you need to get in the air, but more what you'll need to stay in the air. A copule of those items I've got no ues for, but others do so I won't quibble. Overall, It's become a fairly comprehensive list.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Somethings, only experience will help with. Get only what you need to get started and then buy the other stuff you need, as you need it. Basically, when you need it, you'll know just what to get.

rcspaceflight

Yeah, the OP did say it's a list for the best RC Planes work bench. You do need all of that stuff for it to be the best and to have EVERYTHING. I was just being a smartie. I can't help it some times. I think I need help.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, the OP did say it's a list for the best RC Planes work bench. You do need all of that stuff for it to be the best and to have EVERYTHING. I was just being a smartie. I can't help it some times. I think I need help.

What? *ANTOHER* smart alek around here?

hmmm . . . Maybe we need to call the pest control guy it's getting thick with 'em around here . . . Now to go hide while he thins out our herd ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor

What? *ANTOHER* smart alek around here?

hmmm . . . Maybe we need to call the pest control guy it's getting thick with 'em around here . . . Now to go hide while he thins out our herd ;)
NOOOO!!!!!!<runs off screaming something about rightful place in the universe>

rcspaceflight

Maybe we need to start a support group.

"Today some one asked me what was up... and... *sniff* I told him... 'the sky'. I know it was wrong, but what am I supposed to say to something like that?"

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Um, dude, what do ya think we've been doing here? Did the folding chairs and cookies/punch along the back wall throw you off?

Oooooh . . . it was all that airplane talk throwing you off. Yeah, that's just samrta$$ magnet -- it tends to collect a certian type of personality. Oh, meeting's started . . .

Hi, my name is Dan, and I'm a smarta$$. :rolleyes:

FightHobby

Wow. Thread hijacked. Cool.

On topic: Yeah. The list is meant to cover everything I could POSSIBLY need, not just enough to get started. And whoever said money was DEAD on. That is what is slowing me down too.

I ordered a simulator today. Just a cheapie. I just want to get my muscle memory started.

Finally, I'm looking at glue guns. I there a wattage minimum that I will need, or will the 10watt $5 ones I keep seeing be good enough?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
might want to step up from the 10w guns -- you've got long strands you've got to chew through. I'm using a 40W gun from Michaels, lists for $25-30, but easy to find 40-50% off coupon, but if that's too steep or unavailable, it's probably more wattage than you need. 20-30W should get the job done.

FightHobby

Coming along nicely with the supplies. Have about 4-5 hours on a sim so far. I kinda feel like the free download sim isn't really too realistic. I'm finding it hard to MAKE myself crash.... I'm assuming that it will be much easier in real life. HA!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
um...YES! but it's part of the fun so don't be too worried about it. Best part of flying foamboard is being able to replace the plane cheap and easy when it decides to high five the ground, or the suicidal tree jumps out in front of you...

rcspaceflight

Sims are mostly about getting a feel for the controls so you don't have to think about which stick does what. Sims also help with orientation. It takes the "what does this stick do again" and the "oops, I wanted to turn left, not right" out of the equation. It's a lot easier to fly when you aren't turning the opposite direction than you wanted to.

There really isn't any good replacement for real life model flying. So, expect to crash. And don't expect your first plane to last very long.

FightHobby

Yeah... I here ya there for sure. I just kinda feel like I'm playing a video game on the "novice" setting. I wish I was being punished more when I turned too far or in the wrong direction. It feels like it is too easy to correct the mistakes that I am making.

I still plan on putting in a million hours on this (or another) sim before I launch a "real" plane.