RC foam

bstanley72

There was a FT video where JS spoke to a couple of guys who make foam sheets for scratch building. It was at an indoor fun fly. Does anyone remember the name of the company and/or the FT video? I remember their name was along the lines of RC Airplane Foam, but I can't seem to find them.

Thanks!

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Model Plane Foam: http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

There is also a company called RC Foam: http://rcfoam.com/

MPF and Value XPS are essentially the same product.

Both companies sell similar products, have great reputations, and the prices are comparable. I recommend comparing the shipping costs to see which of the two offers the best shipping price to your location.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
My bias is with the MPF guys. I love their product and their service. Plus the user name 'Springer' on RC Groups has several designs that are pretty popular. They are built, some from DTF and some from MPF. He publishes free plans for all the planes he posts.

Plus, the prices are good on their add-on's when you buy foam. Carbon Spars and Pushrods.

MT Alex

My bias is with the MPF guys. I love their product and their service. Plus the user name 'Springer' on RC Groups has several designs that are pretty popular. They are built, some from DTF and some from MPF. He publishes free plans for all the planes he posts.

Plus, the prices are good on their add-on's when you buy foam. Carbon Spars and Pushrods.

Is MPF just their proprietary name for Depron? If it is similar to Depron then those are very good prices.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If it's like the Value XPS, then it's very close to Depron. It's not quite as stiff as true Depron but by the same token, not as brittle. It's not much different and the price is definitely right.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I don't have any experience with Depron to know if MPF is similar. DTF (Adams Redi Board), Elmers, MPF and some beer cooler type foam (breaks apart in to little round snow globe looking pieces) are the only foams I have worked with so far. Oh, and the foam that makes food clam shell carry out containers.

Each have their place, depending on the build.

Jaxx

Is MPF just their proprietary name for Depron? If it is similar to Depron then those are very good prices.

It's not Depron. It's made by the same company that manufactures the DTFB that we use for our FT builds. It is specifically produced for the scratch-build market. If I remember correctly, the guys at MPF went to the manufacturer looking an alternative to Depron, that would meet the needs of scratch-builders. This was the result.

RCFoam.com carries the same product under a different name. Depending of the destination, RCFoam.com may offer better shipping rates. I love RCFoam.com because the warehouse is literally 5 minutes from my house, so I can order a box, and go pick it up. Additionally, they offer a 10% military discount and the folks there are awesome.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Hmmmmn 10% Mil discount. Now I need to check them out.

The majority of my building is with DTFB anyhow. That one box of MPF has lasted me over nine months so far.

bstanley72

So would you guys say the MPF is a better product to build with verses the DTFB? I'm tired of the DTFB paper delaminating so I'm looking for alternatives.

Jaxx

So would you guys say the MPF is a better product to build with verses the DTFB? I'm tired of the DTFB paper delaminating so I'm looking for alternatives.

It depends on the application. The FT plans are designed for DTFB (~3/16 inch/4mm thick). RCPowers.com & FRCFoamies.com make park-jet plans designed for 6mm Depron. The MPF/Value XPS is of similar thickness (5-6mm) and can be substituted for Depron with little to no modification. DTFB can also be used, but the builder must take the difference in thickness into consideration when building with plans designed for Depron. The DTFB is also heavier.

One of the advantages of MPF/Value XPS is that it is considerably cheaper than Depron. It is less rigid/brittle too (this could be good and bad). Is it a "better" product than DTFB? For FT builds, I would say no. Although I believe the overall quality of the foam itself appears to be better (more consistent thickness and very flat (not wavey)), it's more expensive, more brittle than DTFB, and will not take crashes as well. I have crashed my FT Mustang so many times, I have lost count, and it's still flying (although half the weight is hot glue). Neither Depron or MPF/Value XPS would have survived this type of abuse.

With the right technique, the paper delamination can be mitigated. I coat with Minwax to create a protective shell out of the paper, and it works really well for me. The airframes are much tougher. I use packing tape for all my hinges, and I have never had one delaminate; even when the airframe was completely destroyed in a crash. You just can't beat the price of DTFB. I only use the other types because some plans call for the thicker foam. Otherwise, I would use DTFB exclusively.

Last edited:

zozo

Hello, I am starting with RC and I am now looking at your FT series for some time and I decided to build my first scratch build in foam board. I am located in eastern europe and my options on foam boards are very limited however I found some with two side laminated 5mm ones. Would that one work with your plans?

Thanks in advance and keep up with the great work.

bobsav2121

Hello Guy's, I'm new to foam board building and have run into a small problem. I've been practicing building wings and fuselage forms with the Dollar Tree Board and have been watching your videos. The problem I'm running into is that I'm in Florida and the humidity is beginning down here. Last week the board I bought practically de-papered itself overnight. I was building a folded wing and the instructions were to leave some of the paper on and to glue the spars to it. Well the paper just let go after the spar was put in. I assume that the idea of leaving the paper in certain places is for added strength, but as the humidity gets worse down here the paper practically just falls off the board by itself . Should I just use the board bare ? I'm open to your suggestions.
Bob

zozo

if you look at how to paint your FT you will see that they are cover the foam boards first with some acrylic based thing which would protect the board from humidity. You can try that on your boards.

bobsav2121

Thats fine for finished models

Yeah that's fine for finished models but as it says in the video hot glue WON'T stick to the polyurethane coating.
So " water proofing " the board " before I build wont work. As I said the problem I'm having is the high humidity down here in Florida is making the paper covering fall off the board as I am using it and gluing it.

Bob

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
You could always resort to taking all the paper off and covering every spot that you won't glue with packing tape. Then you can have a strong, and waterproof airframe! For reference Ed from Experimental Airlines does this for all his builds.

bobsav2121

Different store

I think I'll try going to a different store and buy a few more boards.

The ones I have dont seem right, I'm assuming the paper shouldn't just practically fall off.

I was blaming the humidity but now I'm thinking may the boards I bought were either old or not stored properly or something.

Will try another store in the AM and let you know what I find out.

Thanks

Bob

Jaxx

Welcome to the forum guys!

Bob,
There are other builders from Florida on the forum, and this is the first time I have heard of anyone having that problem, so it very well may be the batch of foamboard that you purchased. Let us know if the new stuff is any better.

bobsav2121

That's better

Went to a different store today and bought a few sheets of foam board.
The new ones are totally different. The paper is well adhered quite different than the other stuff I bought.
Guess I got some bad foam 1st time around.
I tried gluing up some pieces and they held quite well not like my 1st attempt where the paper just came off.
Thanks for the help

Bob

Jaxx

Went to a different store today and bought a few sheets of foam board.
The new ones are totally different. The paper is well adhered quite different than the other stuff I bought.
Guess I got some bad foam 1st time around.
I tried gluing up some pieces and they held quite well not like my 1st attempt where the paper just came off.
Thanks for the help

Bob

Glad to hear the new stuff resolved the problem!

MikeJM

I have in my stock Depron from RCfoam & Grayson Hobbies and MPF (not Depron) from Model Airplane Foam and personally I prefer Depron over MPF because it is a lot stronger. However it is also more expensive. I still use and like MPF for some things because it is lighter.

One thing I would like to add is for you to go to the 3 companies and compare shipping costs.

On one of them for example: If you were to add a package of 10 sheets of 27x 39" 6mm Depron to your cart and calculate shipping you would pay approx. 28 bills for shipping.

Ok that's not too bad for the carton size and weight of the box.

Bare with me.

Ok now clear your cart and add 10 individual sheets of 27"x39" 3mm Depron to your cart and calculate shipping...Holy Moley your going to pay 103 bills for the same size box, somewhat less weight 3mm vs 6mm. For 8 bills more you can get overnight guaranteed.

When I confronted this company about their shipping some women from customer service said it had to do with ballooning shipping cost from their shipper. I think not, I think their calculator is wacked.

You can order 40 sheets (full case) of 27.5" x39" 3mm Depron from the other company and it would only cost 15 bills for shipping.

Ballooning shipping cost yea right.

Check it out!