rc futaba

tomcat

Rc futaba

Hi gays my names is Richard , im new on this site so am not really sure if im doing it right .I have a small question because you understand for RC radios i have a futaba 6EXP im very happy with the radio im flying lots of different planes for a couple of years with that radio but because im baught FPV electronic from hobbyking 2.4GHZ im not really sure how big the range is for my radio so if someone knows how far it is possible to fly with my futaba before i lose control .Normally im flying F3G glider and its far away but with FPV i would like to try little bit far away thanks for your help .

tomcat

hi guys thanks for the reply's my futaba it is 35 mhz and my fpv is 2.4 mhz dose anyone have an idea if its futaba radio has a safety noise before it loses its signal with ,y instruction manual it dosent say anything about this thank you richard

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
So we now know that tomcat probably does not live in US or AUS ;-)
35 or 72 does not make any big difference in range - but the only way to know is to measure.
One combination of TX-RX might give several times the range as a similar combination. It is not only the xtals but also trim on the units that make a big difference. Line of sight is also important. Obstacles (and reflectors) will reduce the range a lot.

tomcat

pgerts i'm from England but original i'm from Czech republic for me it is a big different because here rc is not hobby but big boys
with toys It's means everyone buys plains from shops and non of them have a an idea what they buy here is only show off 'i have money an i have a big fancy plane'. i have been with a couple of clubs but its not the same as in my country i prefer build my own planes an fly them for me its a nice challenge im old school i love balsa wood i have a couple planes with depron its nice easy to fix but its a big difference if you make the same plane with balsa wood here isnt lodes of people how can help you for this i try online i have been to the model shop an i asked the same questions about my radio the lad in the shop said i need to buy a new radio 2.4 ghz i asked why an he said its better but he couldnt explain why it is better so its not easy here thank you for the replying richard

earthsciteach

Isn't a lower frequency TX actually preferred for fpv use? Lower frequency = more punch around obstacles? Also, wouldn't there be far less worry of any kind of interference between the radio and the video tx?

tomcat-the advantage the 2.4 GHz radios have is that there is no need to worry about frequency/channel tracking at the field. A large number of people can fly at once without worry of interfering with one another. But for your application, I don't see why your Futaba wouldn't work just fine. But, there are people FAR more knowledgeable about that than me on this forum.

Since you are old school and love working with balsa, I think you'll find a friend in pgerts! He's our resident balsa lover and goto source for me when it comes to old school techniques.

Welcome to Flite Test!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Hello Richard. I know there are lots of old school in GB. Just look at the RCM&E forum. It might give you much better answeres as they will probably know the rules for FPV in GB. http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/
2.4 GHz is not better for range than 35 MHz.

I am not familiar with F3G but i assume that it is similar to F3B in size and rules except for the start procedure.
If you are competing in F3G i assume that you have an excellent/good radio - but i have never seen any glider pilot with a Futaba 6 ... One thing that makes a big difference in range is the antenna. I dont know if i have seen the long antennas on other than the MPX transmitters.
The 35 MHz wavelengt is 8,6m and my antenna is 1 m plus something inside the TX giving 1/8 wavelengt. With i long 1/4 antenna you will get better range or for FPV. The next is your video is 2,4 telling you dont need a lot more range from your controller if you loose the picture.
/Patrik

tomcat

thanks guys for the reply it was helpful my antenna is 1m 20 cm long i think i am okay i fly a f3g before in my country with a good radio because i was flying in club conniptions but here in England i have a f3g model with fouaba because i have it now as a hobby and the futaba is really good if i play with different models like f18 hornet 70mm edf or my rafale 70mm edf because it is really easy with that radio flying normal plane or delta wing or a really big glider i am really happy with futaba because it has lodes of programs for different planes

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
35MHz and 72MHz are arguably better than 2.4GHz when it comes to FPV.

If you buy a 2.4GHz Tx you will not be able to use your FPV system that far. So don't buy a 2.4GHz Tx for now.

Now, if the radio is in good condition, then it should be possible to fly 2-3 Km or more... but if - as is the case with me - local broadcast TV runs on that frequency (72MHz in my case) and my RF module is kind of burnt because a friend left it on with the antenna down - then you might get considerably less range.

Best thing to do is to range test on the ground. Ask a friend to help out.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..i am really happy with futaba because it has lodes of programs for different planes
Futaba is an old reliable brand but i did not know that the 6 exp had any glider program at all, just acro or heli.
Are you using the "throttle stick" for the brakes or did you find another way? Just curious - you normally need at least 8 channels or more for the glider functions like crow and flight modes.

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Another advantage to 35 and 72Mhz is that they don't just suddenly lose signal. It glitches more and more as you push range, but stays 'controllable'. With 2.4, the edge of the signal is much steeper - as in, from first glitch to no control it's a couple of hundred metres.

35 and 72Mhz are also prone to interference from electricity lines. But you shouldn't be fpving near these anyway.

tomcat

guys thanks for more information for a question for the gilder breaks. f3g it is a electric glider here is FAI Classification Of Model Aircraft Category F3 - Radio Controlled Flight

This is a flight during which the model aircraft is manoeuvred by control surface(s) in attitude, direction
and altitude by the pilot on the ground using radio control.
Class: F3A - AEROBATIC POWER MODEL AIRCRAFT
F3B - THERMAL SOARING GLIDERS
F3C - HELICOPTERS
F3D - PYLON RACERS
F3F - SLOPE SOARING GLIDERS
F3G - MOTOR GLIDERS
F3H - SOARING CROSS COUNTRY RACING GLIDERS
F3I - AERO TOW SOARING GLIDERS
F3J - THERMAL DURATION GLIDERS
F3K - RADIO CONTROLLED HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
F3L - Re-assigned to F7 as F7A
F3M - LARGE MODEL AIRCRAFT
F3P - INDOOR AEROBATICS
yes i found a system how to connect engine+breaks. the breaks an engine are on the same channel with my receiver the only problem is connecting the two servo for breaks you need to use push rod with two springs both sides. so if you have full throttle the breaks are down, if you stop the engine the breaks start to open it has a the same system like the electric rc car full throttle or revers

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..push rod with two springs both sides..
:applause:
- interesting and smart way when out of functions in the TX.
I am using a pushbutton for the motor - timed by the radio in seconds allowed for the start - only full throttle.
I am using the throttle stick for the brakes - analog all the way - Up = no brakes, Down = full brake.

tomcat

Hi its same smart and good idea .Firstly all the best for the new year if you would like to copy my system its really easy .If you use electric motor with the throttle stick make sure you put your trim all the way down ,and you connect the servo and ESC together so you still have the full control for the engine but because the trim is down if i go with my throttle stick really up i have 1CM over the stick were the engine doesn't work but servo works with that 1CM so you still have control slowly open the brakes and slowly close down .Its very easy try it .If you would like a picture or video of that system i send me a massage .

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am sure that everyone here expects you to post pictures and video ;-)
I am happy with my setup and a use 8 channels in my system plus lots of mixes to get what i need.
I dont think i will need other than full speed to get up my glider - just a few seconds.

earthsciteach

Yes, please post pics! This is the kind of info that I feel is missing from the Flite Test forums. There is tons of "cutting edge" electronic info, but clever, old school techniques (or even a focus on aircraft design and construction) is thin.

Having just started my first RC balsa kit build, which is also a sailplane, I'll soak up any info that you two put on here like a sponge!

tomcat

hi Earthsciteach , im doing the video now but im new in the for room so i dont really have a clue how to put the video here but i have put the video on youtube and i will put the links on here so you can see how easy it is to set it up .

earthsciteach

Yes, you must first upload to you tube or similar site. You can then click on the "film strip" button at the top of the reply window, copy and paste the url into the window that pops up. That's it.