rc heli conversion

silverknight

Hey guys (and possibly gals),

I would like to convert my msr helicopter into a scratch built RC plane.

Why?

1. I got hurt at work and had to have spinal surgery twice and therefore have limited income at this time.
2. I promised my oldest daughter (10 years old) that we would get into building RC planes this summer.

What I have:
1 complete msr helicopter rtf setup that I don't mind parting out
1 6'x3' foam board (not sure what type of foam it is.)

After looking at it I think it could be used to make a small plane, nothing too focused on performance but I think I might be able to design something that could make it into the air....

What do you think? Is it possible?

(Reason why I put this in the show suggestion forum is I would love to see a video of seeing the Josh's convert a helicopter into a plane. Admin feel free to move it if you feel this is the wrong place for this query.)

Thanks,
Silver

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I think it's easier and more effective to get the right parts from the start - I assume an MSR uses a Spektrum transmitter - then you need parts for less than $50.

But of course, it's a nice challenge!

silverknight

most definately! I would definately prefer to go grab the right parts right off the bat, however trying to get the $50 (even $30 at this point) out of the budget due to the cut in pay from workers comp, is not likely. :(

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
most definately! I would definately prefer to go grab the right parts right off the bat, however trying to get the $50 (even $30 at this point) out of the budget due to the cut in pay from workers comp, is not likely. :(

Ohh... well the last thing you want is to ruin your heli and not have a working plane... I'm not familiar with helicopters, but if it has a motor and two servos you probably could make something fly...

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I don't really know how you can convert a heli to a plane... they are completely different. You can use the Rx, servos and batteries in a plane, but you can't really use any of the heli parts. It would be better to buy some more cheap servos, a cheap rx and make a plane out of your foam board and keep the heli complete also

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
You could do it. The linear servos are in line with the main shaft so if you mount the control board up front with the prop hanging out forward, you could take some small wire push rods and run back to the rudder and elevator. You'll have to lock the swashplate somehow though, unless you wanted to make it into a thrust vectoring setup. I wouldn't know where to start as far as weight and wing though. If you crash it....it's not going to be pretty. Probably won't survive much of an impact straight on the head like that.