RC Parachute

bennybl

Hi FliteTest team !

First of all i would like to thank you for everything ! I've been following your videos for the past... 3 years. Your overall attitude towards RC is the very thing that got me into the hobby.

I would like to suggest an episode on RC parachutes.
for the past few months i've been looking to add a parachute to my quad, and there's no good solution out there.
The 'professional' once are ridiculously expansive ! - cost more than the model itself.
(e.g: MARS, Skycat)

I've been looking at some videos on YouTube of guys making their own solutions.. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqH3daEgAo) and i even tried several of them with some success.

I do remember the video you did back on Apr 2012... but i thought it will be a good idea to create tutorial of how to do it "FliteTest Style :cool:"

Thank you for everything !
Benny.

brettp2004

You can make a very crude version with just a parachute and a servo. If you have a camera plate on your quad you can attach it to the bottom of that with a servo hooked to a spare channel. You can have it set to a switch or to the failsafe so it releases when signal is lost. Just make your motors are set to turn off on the same switch or with failsafe. Most of this depends on your radio. I've thought about even adding bright colored streamer so if it goes down in trees you have something easier to spot. Pretty much the same concept as a bomb drop just with a parachute.

bennybl

Hi "brettp2004"
This is pretty much what i did... just like "unialfred" (http://flitetest.com/articles/Quadcopter_Parachute_Recovery_System) i created a parachute and hooked it by a robber-band and a servo on 7th channel and it works nicely.
Thing is i really would like to see "Flitetest style" solution for it... For example: using spring-loaded mechanism... and/or a comprehensive solution for the actions you described.

Benny

Benny,
Check out this new article for info on a DIY parachute system.

flitetest.com/articles/parachutes-are-cool-diy-multirotor-parachute