RC Powers - Let's get him on the show!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahahaha- this thread is totally jacked. Nobody gives a crap about the original thread topic.
EVERYBODY wants more DAVID W! Yay David!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Not to go off topic, by talking about the original topic but... Guys, if you visit the RCP forum, keep it civil. Don't attack Dave for his decisions. Yeah, unfortunately they misunderstood what Chad had said, and took a rather defensive position on it. As much as I am a huge fan of Flite Test, it won't reflect well on us if anyone that's a poster here, if someone goes over there and is aggressive towards Dave and his team.

That being said, some of Dave's replies were surprising, and a little saddening. It really shows how making a hobby into a business can ruin the fun of it. I will be the first to defend someone's interests in maintaining financial stability in a venture such as what Dave and now Flite Test are doing. It takes a considerable amount of time and money to conceive, prepare, record and publish a video that's worth watching, week after week. If someone is doing that on the level these guys are, they yeah, they deserve to be compensated. It's unfortunate for me as a fan of the old Dave shows, that he has moved to these watered down voice over videos. But it's like I've always said, if you don't like them, don't watch them, and in the case of these "replacement" shows, I don't. I have no right to complain about the direction Dave has gone. I sent him no money to produce the shows he made. I selfishly took them for free, and if he decides the cost isn't worth the return, then that's his decision. He's not emailing me that he's upset I'm not watching his shows anymore either, so it's all fair. :D

I'm just very glad that Flite Test is here. They've certainly picked up where Dave left, improved upon it, and hopefully will continue to grow.

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
I've tried to get in touch with Dave Powers quite a few times over the past year. So far... no response.:p

I would love to have him on the show. Does anyone know him? Can we organize an effort to at least get a "yes" or "no" response?

Thoughts?

I might be able to get him on the show. I'll try to talk him into it.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Nah- never spent too much time over there. There are several threads on RCG where I make my home. Most of them are pretty helpful and seldom do you see "RTFM" or "Did you even TRY the search option posts" Hopefully this forum will mature into the kind of place where newbies can ask things like how can I tell if my prop is on backwards or how do I reverse my servo channell without getting scolded or flamed.

I agree wholeheartedly Fred, at this point I have no desire to flame Mr. Powers. Gotta say I am disappointed in what little snippets of info I have seen here about the whole deal but whatever. There's plenty of other interesting people to see interviewed. How about the Australian guy from RC Model Reviews or Pete from Banana Hobbies or one or more of the NitroPlanes guys. It's a big hobby and there are a lot of people out there....

Not to go off topic, by talking about the original topic but... Guys, if you visit the RCP forum, keep it civil. Don't attack Dave for his decisions. Yeah, unfortunately they misunderstood what Chad had said, and took a rather defensive position on it. As much as I am a huge fan of Flite Test, it won't reflect well on us if anyone that's a poster here, if someone goes over there and is aggressive towards Dave and his team.

That being said, some of Dave's replies were surprising, and a little saddening. It really shows how making a hobby into a business can ruin the fun of it. I will be the first to defend someone's interests in maintaining financial stability in a venture such as what Dave and now Flite Test are doing. It takes a considerable amount of time and money to conceive, prepare, record and publish a video that's worth watching, week after week. If someone is doing that on the level these guys are, they yeah, they deserve to be compensated. It's unfortunate for me as a fan of the old Dave shows, that he has moved to these watered down voice over videos. But it's like I've always said, if you don't like them, don't watch them, and in the case of these "replacement" shows, I don't. I have no right to complain about the direction Dave has gone. I sent him no money to produce the shows he made. I selfishly took them for free, and if he decides the cost isn't worth the return, then that's his decision. He's not emailing me that he's upset I'm not watching his shows anymore either, so it's all fair. :D

I'm just very glad that Flite Test is here. They've certainly picked up where Dave left, improved upon it, and hopefully will continue to grow.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I might be able to get him on the show. I'll try to talk him into it.

I'd be curious as to if the crew would even want to at this point. I know it's likely Dave and Scott just took Chads comments the wrong way, but they came off a little antagonistic.

I think that Dave has taken a very "business" approach to the hobby, and looks at things with a loss vs gains. If it's not earning him something, it's a loss, and shouldn't be pursued. He might see being on the show as being more of a gain for the FT guys than it is for himself, so it's not valuable to him.

I think it would be though. He has to be losing viewers left and right. I don't see how many of the old viewers can be very satisfied with what's being produced right now.

With a response like, "The problem also is, if we did a video like that "once in a while" just picture the masses screaming and demanding that we do it every week again." it would seem he's not interested producing videos for the masses.

He has his core group of viewers, and he's happy with that. If he wanted his old audience back, he'd still be making the fun videos, and would likely be excited to be invited to be on a show like Flite Test.

I'm not being critical of Dave. I miss the old shows, but I will not fault him for doing what he feels is best for him.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Nah- never spent too much time over there. There are several threads on RCG where I make my home. Most of them are pretty helpful and seldom do you see "RTFM" or "Did you even TRY the search option posts" Hopefully this forum will mature into the kind of place where newbies can ask things like how can I tell if my prop is on backwards or how do I reverse my servo channell without getting scolded or flamed.

jpn, I get to agree wholeheartedly with you this time! I hope that this forum keeps the friendly and helpful spirit that it's started with. If I have anything to say about it (and unfortunately for many of you, I do have mod powers... muah ha ha ha ha) I will not tolerate comments like "RTFM" (unless it's been said in jest of course) and the like in here.

You guys have been great, I've seen tolerance where I might have once been sarcastic (I'm very sarcastic by nature). I'm thoroughly pleased with the crew that the Flite Test team has attracted. I've always found that you can judge a person (or people) by the people that want to be around them, and with the kinds of people I've seen on the forums so far, it speaks volumes in favor of these airplane show guys. :)

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
How about the Australian guy from RC Model Reviews ....
That guy knows his stuff! I like watching his videos just to hear him talk lol. Anthony from Nitroplanes has done some good informational videos like "soldering basics" etc... Both these guys' vids are very dry and for info only...not much entertainment value.

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
We have a close working relationship with Dave and Scott. I'll mention it to Basil and see if he can get you guys together. There has also been mention of us sponsoring a foam build series or video. PM a good contact and we'll sort this out.
I've tried to get in touch with Dave Powers quite a few times over the past year. So far... no response.:p

I would love to have him on the show. Does anyone know him? Can we organize an effort to at least get a "yes" or "no" response?

Thoughts?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Scott, it sounds like the matter has gone about as far as it can. I think I read on the RCP forums that they are not interested at this time, and that seems to be the message that Chad reported as well.

It might have been cool, but now it seems that if Dave did the show, it wouldn't be the fun episode we all envisioned.

We could keep the thread alive, with ideas of what the "perfect show" might have been though. :D

A collaboration between Dave and David to create some ultimate multi motor, gyro filled airplane of foam greatness?

It could have been epic.... :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Let it die.
If Dave wants to do the show, cool, If he wanted to, this thread would never have been started.
Interview Tim Hoyer and make him show you the machinery he uses to make those awesome bad "A" motors he has been teasing us with.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Let it die.
If Dave wants to do the show, cool, If he wanted to, this thread would never have been started.
Interview Tim Hoyer and make him show you the machinery he uses to make those awesome bad "A" motors he has been teasing us with.
Pilot Scott said that there was mention of Grayson Hobby sponsoring a video...if they wave the cash under Dave's nose he may change his mind... :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Let it die.

That could be a very interesting episode!