RC Rocket Glider

M

MCNC

I have owned this Estes Astro Blaster since 1995. Tried several times to complete it, but feel unqualified. This is where I am now (pics). I have seen other build logs that did not mention my issue .
How to best attach this control rod to this thin aileron. Orig instructions allow for .049 glow. If I ever attempt to fly, it will be brushless.

Attachments

• 20191203_072314.jpg
    20191203_072314.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191203_072449.jpg
    20191203_072449.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191203_074338.jpg
    20191203_074338.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 0
M

MCNC

The instructions say to drill a hole for the rod which it says is critical. Looking for alternative ideas that may be more forgiving or adjustable. Possibly none, but wanted opinions.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I always wanted one of these and several years had the opportunity to grab a N.I.B. kit for a great price. I waited a day too long and it was gone! :cry:

The reason the hole is critical is so you don't end up with the ailerons being too close and binding with the center section trailing edge "extensions". You could measure out from the "extension" to the middle of the torque rod, add at least 1/16" for clearance and drill a hole EXACTLY center of the ailerons so you don't end up with unequal movement that you can only adjust out by bending linkage. You could also just position the aileron end of the rod up and out of the way. Position the aileron where you want it and use a fine point pen or Sharpie to mark where you need to drill the hole. Make sure you use sand paper or a file to rough up the end that will go into the aileron. I always used a toothpick to wick a bit of slow 30 minute epoxy into the hole. Also have your aileron and wing hinge points already slotted and ready for permanent glue in place. Download just about any earlier Goldberg or Sig build manual and it will cover this in great detail.

I've always hated torque rods and now that we have small, lightweight high torque servos I always use separate aileron servos. You could still do that but it would require wing surgery you probably don't want to do.

Joe

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
This is the old school way of doing things. Place the aileron about where you want it. On the aileron, mark the location and angle of the control rod. Then drill the hole on the center line of the aileron. Before you install the aileron, you will need to bevel the aileron. Draw a center line, then carve or sand a 45 on both the top and bottom of the aileron, bring the angle to the center line. The final step is to grove a channel in the aileron to inclose the control rod.

M

MCNC

Thanks for the advice guys, @Merv the 45 bevel is on the wing side of the aileron?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
When doing a double-bevel like that, I mark the edge to be beveled right down the center (like in the picture above). Then I start planing or sanding the excess material off, using the line as a target to keep the bevel nice and straight.

On bigger pieces of balsa I prefer planing 90% or more of the wood off, and then finish with a sanding block (never just sandpaper in my hand).