• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

RC tank for the maker faire

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I will most likely be participating at the Maker Faire Paris in november to show off my rc planes but since you cant really fly a plane in there I thought about building a tank that peoples can drive.

I looked at sever designs and decided on doing something close to the AMX-13

The oscillating turret system is interesting and it is a french tank so peoples will probably like that.
I will be building it mostly from thin plywood, cardboard and foam with 3d printed parts for the mechanical stuff.
The scale is 1/5 so that gives a 1m long hull, maybe a bit much for a first tank but I should manage. I will be powered by a pair of large 400kv motors geared down a lot to give smooth low speed driving, I alreadu ordered the parts so I will try to start building the hull soon.

I did a bit of the 3d model already.
4.jpg

I modified it to have the drive at the back instead of the front, this way it is more efficient when driving forward.
It wont be a 100% scale model, just close enough that peoples can figure out what it is but I will try to get it fairly close.

As usual I will post progress when it comes.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Nice!!! Make sure you post up completed pictures; I'd love to see it.

And while you can't fly any FT planes indoors, what about making some chuck gliders, or flying a TinyWhoop/Inductrix? That's what I did last year for our big Maker Faire here in San Diego, and it was a huge success. At the very least, if you have some static displays of foamboard planes that people can learn to make, that goes a LONG way at the Maker Faires...

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I guess I could do that since it is in the main hall of the Cité des Sciences
DSC_5860.JPG
Since RC peoples are usually on the second level I will try to be there (also more space) however I dont know if peoples will like us throwing planes down the hall.
On the bottom there is often a battlebots arena or a zone for small quads however quads do not like me so I doubt I will have one, also I will go there for the RC company im creating so idk if I will have much other stuff, of course one of my goals is getting peoples in the hobby.
Anyways I dont have a laser cutter yet so I wont be able to cut a whole bunch of gliders (there will probably be peoples with lasers however so I could try to do a thing)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Im done printing the first 20 track links.
DSC_1565.JPG
It took almost 7 hours and I estimate I will need around 90 of those for the whole tank
At least I got the tolerances right

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I put together the skeletton of the hull.
DSC_1572.JPG
DSC_1573.JPG
The surface finish is a bit rought but it will get covered by a cardboard skin so it will be fine then, but before I have to finish the tracks.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I finished putting together one road wheel assembly
The suspension is only temporary, I need to fit the drive mechanism and tensionner and put a mockup weight in to tweak the placement.
The wheels use a airsoft gun BBs bearing, really easy to do and it works quite decently.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I did some work and basically modelled the whole gearbox
21.jpg
6:1 reduction using a 2:1 gear then a 3:1, actually the lower one is just 1,9:1 to have an uneven amount of teeths to reduce wear.
Herringbone design to have smooth power transmission and the gears are 2cm wide so plenty of are to transmit power.

I have started printing it

Last gear is still printing, also I dont have the proper motors yet.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I finished assembling most of the gearbox, it still lacks the bearings and it has a temporary motor which is 900kv instead of 400 but I was able to test it.

It sounds terrible because of the mostly hollow plastic gears but it actually runs quite smooth

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I got the proper motors for the tank, also some sub-optimal reversible ESCs but it works well enough so I did a test in grass.

I say sub optimal because they are the cheapest car ESCs on banggood and while they have proportionnal throttle on forward, they only have two speeds on reverse. I guess it will make things interesting.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
With one side of the drive train complete and working I started making the other, I already completed one gearbox.
DSC_1641.JPG
It is relatively quick and easy to make one, I could release the STLs if anyone wants them but you need some specific hardware for it:
-8mm carbon rod
-4114 brushless motor
-bunch of M3 screws
-airsoft BBs
-7x22mm bearings

It should work quite well for most tanks of that category

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Since I have both gearboxes complete I did all the wiring and made a custom mixer in inav.
I could just use the elevon mixer on my radio because it works exactly like that but with inav I can have stabilized yaw which means smooth driving at high speed and precise drifing hopefuly, also it will be able to stabilize the turret.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I made new drive gears with a better mesh and got some video since my brother is currently here (we are going to Canada tomorrow)

It still tries to throw the tracks a bit but less than before, also my brother broke a road wheel axle while doing a hard turn that put a lot of sideways force on the tracks. I need to program it so it cant do hard sideways forces to ensure it is idiot proof.
Also it is kinda bad as off-road but its primary mission is driving indoor on a smooth surface so that isnt much of an issue.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well im back from canada, I fixed the tank after some damage last time and took it for a walk again
DSC_2262.JPG

Also I painted a section of track with chrome and green to get an idea of the wear
DSC_2264.JPG

Overall it isnt too bad, weather is way too hot however