RC Transmitter

jaberman

I am new to rc and was wondering what transmitter would be good for flying a hexacopter. I want to use APM 2.5 with mode changing and I was wondering how many channels I needed. I also just want a good quality transmitter and receiver that I can use for things other than quadcopters and hexacopters.
Thanks
-Jaberman

vk2dxn

Personally I fly with a spektrum DX8 because it was available at the time but if I could do it all again I would get a turnigy x9r. The price can not be beat and there are so many rf combinations that you can run with it. You should take a look at that tx in my opinion.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Turnigy 9XR (about $100 after shipping) is good but I am waiting on the FrSky Tarannis (about $200 with features not seen in any but $1000 systems).

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Turnigy 9XR (about $100 after shipping) is good but I am waiting on the FrSky Tarannis (about $200 with features not seen in any but $1000 systems).

Thurmond
I'll second the Taranis, but there is a waiting list for that one. It's worth the wait for a second (or third) radio, but tif you need something right now, get the 9X. It uses very close to the same Firmware so when you learn programming on it, you'll be ahead on the Taranis.

klaw

+1 Get a 9X for now. It will do everything that a beginner needs to do, on pretty much any model.

If you find that it's holding you back later, you've only invested a small amount of money. Then you can decide whether to upgrade your 9X for extra features, or change to a different radio altogether.

You could also consider the 9XR - it's more expensive to get started with, but has a few extra features and it's easier to upgrade later.

vk2dxn

The taranis is an impressive radio, this is the first time I have herd of it.

Well worth the wait

tramsgar

The XJT module is available now if you get a 9x(r) and want to move over to fr-sky receivers later. Just a middle way...

MrClean

The Taranis is a fun radio, though I gotta tell ya after setting up my airplanes and going to the field I spent the first hour cross legged getting the engine to run correctly and getting the dual rates and expo set. click click clickity click click.

But by the time I was going through the setup of my third plane it was no big deal. First thing I did when I got home was ran upstairs, plugged it into my computer and read the Eeproms to save the planes. The back of the transmitter is exactly like my JR 8103 and the front is similarly modeled. It feels a little lighter. I didn't have a single other problem with it

Formori

Beginner Crasher
I've been poking around for a while now thinking of upgrading my radio (I've currently got an old DX5e) and I really like the Taranis over the Turnigy.

After reading a bunch of reviews and people's impressions I'm kinda sold on it but I'm curious what the members here think of it as an upgrade radio, good or no good?

RoyBro

Mentor
My Taranis should be arriving this weekend. I hope. I also have a Turnigy 9x which I like very much. The 9xr isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the 9x but it does come with the backlight and programming port already installed. It also comes with both JR and Futaba trainer ports. The Taranis is the way to go, but everyone wants one and they are like hens teeth to find. I got lucky when I ordered mine.

I'd say the thing to do is get the 9x and do all the mods, or get the 9xr (mods already done) and then flash it with the OpenTX firmware. That way if or when you can lay your hands on the Taranis, you'll already know how to program it.