RCDeskPilot

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I did download that software and it does NOT support .x formatted files. I did some more research and it sounds like TrueSpace does support .x formatted files. Which is actually a program I used to have. Like, 10 years ago I downloaded a free version. I no longer have it. I did download the newest version, but it does NOT support .x formatted files. It does sound like DirectX SDK has a tool that can convert 3DS files into .x files. But the DirectX SDK package is a huge file and I'd rather not have to convert files.

I'm bound and determined to figure out how to make airplanes for RCDP. I thought I'd do a quick update because I shared a link that is no good (for making .x files).

I think I'm done hijacking this thread. As soon as I have it all figured out I'll probably make a new thread showing how and what software (hopefully free) to make planes. :)

rcspaceflight

Blender has some add-ons that look like you can export .x files. It's a bear of a program to learn but if you get familiar with it, it's amazingly powerful.

It sounds like most/some 3D models have addons to support .x format.

Huh. I was just looking at my truespace program that I downloaded the other day. It can't open .x format files, but it CAN save .x format. Which is weird. I just tried it and it looks like the program converts it to .x format. So it can't actually read or change an .x format, but once I create a 3D model of a plane I can export it as .x and then use the finished model for the plane creator/editor that came with RC Desk Pilot. Well, I guess I got it all figured out. At least until I figure out how to actually use truespace and how to use the plane creator.

rcspaceflight

Sketchup looks like one of the easiest 3D modelers, at least when trying to replicate a foam board plane into a 3D model. I found this format converter that will convert Sketchup format into .x, among other formats. Plus it will convert a lot of formats into Sketchup format. http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/ For some reason it's not currently working, at least for me, to convert anything into .x but I'm sharing this hoping that they'll get it fixed.

I thought I'd share my find incase anyone else is trying to make models for RC Deck Pilot. Plus I know that converter has a lot of other great uses.

llharper

I have tried using the RCDeskPilot, but can't get it to work properly. I'm using my InterLink controller from RF Gen2. No matter what calibration settings I use the elevator does not work. No UP !! This same controller works perfectly with FMS beta 7. Guess I'll stick with FMS for now. No problems and plenty of planes to fly. That said, I would like to "fly" the FT planes on a simulator. I have the FT Nutball, but where I'm at it has been way to cold and windy to really fly.

Larry