RCExplorer BiCopter Thread

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Just when I thought I had way too many builds already, David Windestål comes out with another awesome idea and I find myself working on organizing a build in my head. Here's the Alpha Build he cut, assembled, and got flying during the week previous to flying to Flite Fest Ohio '18.
BiCopterTopTable.png

BicopterFrontTable.png

BicopterRearTable.png

BicopterFrontGates.png

BicopterSideFlyGates.png

BicopterRearFly.png

BicopterBelowFlying.png

And here's some raw footage from David himself flying at Flite Fest:

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Viewed from the top, the back end of that copter is what my carbon fiber looks like AFTER I crash and the carbon fiber starts de-laminating. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So yeah... printing a beta plate of my own till i can get the real kit. Will post it to thingy-wingy after I veify it fits the 10x10 rod, FC, etc.... correctly. Just a quick and dirty two plate stack Maybe a bubble canopy for shiggles.

Screenshot from 2018-07-17 16-11-14.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Making progress on the 3D printed EZ BiCopter plates. First one printed in PLA and the dimensions are all good. Holes can be either threaded or drilled, Need to figure out how wide I want my 10x10 rod, cut it, center it, and drill the mount holes using the plate as a guide.
EZbiTop.png

10mm Standoffs in the corners, Rod guides fit snug, plenty of room for the UBEC, battery straps RX, etc...
EZbiBottom.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'm kinda thinkin, this test platform might make an interesting VTOL mech as well.... Tail sitter plank with vectored and differential thrust.... Hmmmmm.......

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I just surprised you still have an unused DTFc :D

Look forward to the rest of the build...too bad I have so little time and so many unfinished projects...I've got some spare 10mm RCexplorer tubing, motors, esc's and an FC laying around....would just have to come up with some servos and print some tilts.

So...kind of hope you have a bad experience just so I'm less tempted to start another project :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I just surprised you still have an unused DTFc :D

Look forward to the rest of the build...too bad I have so little time and so many unfinished projects...I've got some spare 10mm RCexplorer tubing, motors, esc's and an FC laying around....would just have to come up with some servos and print some tilts.

So...kind of hope you have a bad experience just so I'm less tempted to start another project :D

I picked up 4 DTFcs on clearance last fall from RMRC. Been throwing them in planks, an F550 hex, and a few other quick builds. Still one of my favorite FCs. Just used my take off "stock" RCE tilts for sizing the 10x10 tube based on pictures I took from @David's build at FFE. Zoomed in on the picture till they matched, then measured the tube on the screen. Pretty close to 28cm, so cut it to that length. Since I have time to kill before the servos arrive, I'll be printing up some Immposible tilts to use on this build. Probably Ought to print them in different colors for orientation. Will be throwing Red/Green LEDs on the ends of the tube for that too. Printing everything with PLA to get it knocked out quick and easy. I've had really good results with strength and durability printing the tilt parts with HatchBox PLA at .1 layer thickness and 210C on my MP Select mini V2 printer. Have 4 sets between my baby and mini tris already. Printed the EZ bi frame plates at .2. Might be a mistake, but going to "underpower" it with some of my weaker sunnysky x2204II/2300kv motors and 20A ESCs that were on my Hellbender. Think it will be easier to avoid oscillations with less power, and can always bump up to beefier motors once the initial flight tests are done. Looks like rain here for the next few days, so hopefully will get this 99% done, and get some time in working on the Tri fleet too.

Hoping I have good experience, cuz I have way too many other projects to work on.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@kpixels,
It is still in the highly experimental stage and is evolving and progressing slowly as I build. Needed to extend the motor wires, so I'm going to swap out the ESCs with some I got in a grab box that have motor wires, and also use bullet connectors on the motor wires. Everything will be pluggable at that point, which will allow me to easily swap the orientation, rotation, and other design params. Fear not! Flight will be soon!

Cheers!
LitterBug