RCExplorer BiCopter Thread

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Argh.... Took some strange turns today. For some reason my FC forgot the mix. Fixed that and stuck it in my truck before heading over to my parents and figured I'd maiden it with them, only to find it wouldn't arm when I got there. By the time I got back home and could look at the config on my laptop, there was a "VIP NOTAM/TFR" in place with a 30nm radius.... <sigh> Maybe this will happen tomorrow... :p

Managed to get the motor and servo mix bench tested.
Screenshot from 2018-08-04 21-16-41.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-04 21-23-21.png

We'll give it another go tomorrow.

:-D

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Maiden flight on default PIDs.... severe oscillations. Unflyable.....

Update: Ok, turns out PIDs were not defaults and made a few more attempts after making a handful of adjustments. Was able to get some smooth forward flight, but not a stable hover. Have more playing to do before giving it another go tomorrow.

Last edited:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Cool, glad you got it flying. Wonder if you configured the platform/fc in a vertical orientation if it would help to stabilize hover (and reduce drag in forward flight).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been out doing yard work this morning which means my real brain (subconscious) has been working on a solution. I've been going about this a bit wrong by testing in leveling mode. That can't work on the pitch axis since there is no pitch authority possible but rather the weight hangs on the props and swings freely. So at best, the FC could do roll leveling and/or rate control, Pitch is full manual, and Yaw could be rate mode or manual. (Rate = Acro) So I set up a custom flight mode "stabilized1" that has attitude (leveling) for roll, manual for pitch, and rate for yaw. Will give it another go later today.
Screenshot from 2018-08-06 13-09-31.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI... David says the BiCopter kits will be up on RCExplorer.se for pre-order next monday.... :-D

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Those scales on top look pretty cool. The fins also, do they help stabilize? Looks sorta like a dragons head...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I liked seeing some of the things from the old FT Videos (basement, Chad's yard). Boy have things changed since then. Everyone's got a beard. Dave's looking like he's getting ready to be Duck Dynasty family. I saw Chad in another video and I didn't recognize him with his beard until I heard his voice.

The BiCopter looks cool. I'm looking forward to its progress.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I liked seeing some of the things from the old FT Videos (basement, Chad's yard). Boy have things changed since then. Everyone's got a beard. Dave's looking like he's getting ready to be Duck Dynasty family. I saw Chad in another video and I didn't recognize him with his beard until I heard his voice.

And here I'm am getting ready to shave my beard for a change :D

(Every 3-4 years I shave it off for the change of pace, but usually grow it back after a week of remembering how much I hate shaving my chin :LOL:)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seeing everyone growing their beards out like qaudlamic extremists I recently shaved mine off. Now its just a stubby grey something.

If you watch recent Rotor Riot episodes David was featured along with his bi's n tri's. Both an episode and one of their podcasts.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
When my beard gets about 5-6 weeks old, it has to come off. It curls back on itself and itches like crazy. Never been able to get much past that point before my insanity and it's insanity tips me over the edge.

On another note, managed to get a handfull of flights in my tight back yard today and EZbi#2 with a modified tilt profile was hovering real smooth without the crazy oscillations I had on EZbi#1, even on default PIDs. Was very gusty, and still had low speed pitch oscillations. Managed to rip the RX antennas off flying "THROUGH" a tree. Will clean it all up again and apply some additional changes. Hopefully I'll remember to get the go-pro out next time....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Since i am reusing parts that have already been wired and tested, this will be a much simpler build. I had to desolder the Servos and ESCs from the FC since the wires will need to be run through holes in the side plates.

Step #1: Put FC standoffs on FC mount. (I'm using soft mount rubber bobbins)
Step #2: Put the four mid-size bolts up through the bottom plate, around the Motor Arm tube, through the FC mount plate, and put the nuts on them, but don't snug them down yet.
FCmount.png

Center the Motor arm on the main plate, and snug the nuts/screws, but do not overtighten them bending the plates or smashing the 10x10 motor mount tube. You now have a little man that looks like a Flat-Stanley
MainFraming.png

Designed a 3D printed PDB riser to allow the front battery strap to be below the PDB instead of going over the PDB/Wiring as it was originally designed. Thing can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3078708. Mounted up the PDB and FC.
RCExplorerBiPDBmount.jpg

Zip tied the Pivots, and servos to the frame as is customary with the RCExplorer Tilt mechanism. For the time being, I am not using the Oblique tilt mounts. They can easily be added on at a later point since they slide on the 10x10 carbon tube with a tight friction fit.
RCEbiPartsClose.png

Need to test fit the servo and ESC wiring, trim the wires, put some braided mesh protection on the wires where they feed through the side plates, solder it all back up, then put on the finishing touches...

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Made some more progress during storms and watching football last night. Got all the tail feathers on, the wiring passed through the side plates, and settled on a path for all the wiring inside the body.
RCEbiFinishingUp.jpg

The wiring holes on the side plates don't give much room so I bailed on covering the wires in mesh. If I was to do it again, I'd open up the wire passthroughs before starting.