RCExplorer.se Baby Tricopter Kit Build Log

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Servo arrived for BabyTri#2 yesterday. Will be able to finish it up now. :cool: Going to throw TriFlight 0.7 Beta1 on it for initial flight testing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Working on initial bench configuration and testing of Baby Tri #2. Flashed with TriFlight 0.7 Beta1 and have done all the initial configuration for ESCs, RX, Flight modes, and enabled MSP for the OSD. Most of the config was already defined for the standard RCExplorer F3FC tricopter layout. Most of the work was configuring RX and flight modes.
Pad 1 = Tail motor (CCW)
Pad 2 = Servo
Pad 3 = Right Front motor (CW)
Pad 4 = Left Front motor (CCW)

Performed ground Tailtune which defines Left, center, and right servo values and automatic servo speed calculation.

Just need to finish wiring up the OSD/VTX and will be ready to hit the air.

Build Specs:
Frame: RC Explorer Baby Tricopter
FC: RC Explorer F3FC Racing running Triflight 0.7 Beta 1
RX: LemonRX LM0037 dsmx diversity satellite
PDB: RC Explorer Baby PDB
Servo: RC Explorer 210DMH Feedback
ESCs: Spedix ES30 HV
Motors: Cobra 2207 2450kv
VTX/OSD: Diatone SP3
Camera: Runcam swift
Props: DALPROP 5045 tri

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got a little more work done on Baby #2 over the weekend. Was working on the FPV wiring and OSD testing saturday night. Need to flip the VTX power from 5V to VBat. DOH. Also updated firmware of the ESCs last night while helping CR work through his build. Turn out I used some older non-DShot cap removed ESCs so I'll have to pull em off an pop the caps should I ever want to go down that road. Firmware was 16.3. Y_U_C_K!!!!. Up to 16.6 now and recalibrated. motors spin good, Final servo is in place and calibrated. All comes down to flipping the one VTX power wire and buttoning it all up. Then Maiden time! :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Finally got off my..... and put props on Baby Tri#2. TriFlight 0.7Beta2 was released which gave me a good nudge. LOS maiden complete. Trying to figure out why tailtune is failing. Just need to add OSD/VTX and it's done. Trying to get all the half builts and need repair done before FliteFEST

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Baby 2 DONE!

Baby Tri #2 complete! YAY! Did some disassembly to add FC soft mounts and found a few screws loose on the FC stack. DOH! Threw a set of 8mm Rubber bobbins on between the PDB and FC and double checked everything was tight on the whole build. Finally figured out the FPV problem too. Camera connector had a bad crimp on the signal wire from the factory. DOH!... Replaced that and screwed it all together. Added a connector for an OpenLager for blackbox, etc... So if the softmounting and loose screw fixing doesn't fix the Tailtune, I'll be able to look at the blackbox logs to see what's going on.

Got the Darth Vader look going on instead of the bumble bee this go round:
Baby2DoneTop.jpg
Baby2DoneSide.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I dunno Psy, was thinking something more original like the Stones, "Paint It Black" LOL...

After playing around with all various things that made no difference on completing an in air tail-tune, I switched from leveling mode to Acro and immediately got a successful completion. SWEET!

Weather permitting, will be hitting the Field for some FPV goodness tomorrow. Gotta go see my buddies Tom and Joe tonight. (Petty / Walsh) Then it's in to work for the Vampire shift.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
At last year's flight fest, I was wandering around the pits when I heard an ESC play the Mario jingle... I wish I knew what firmware.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got maiden FPV in yesterday. Let the tuning begin. Pretty bad Yaw oscillations on default TriFlight 0.7 Beta2 with my hardware. The lag/underpoweredness of baby tri #1 is gone with the beefier motors on this build. Went with Cobra 2207 2450kv instead of the 2206 2100kv motors on the previous build. Need to adjust Voltage and current monitoring ratios too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
ahh you lucky dog. Enjoy the concert bro. BTW for general knowledge.. the BLheli app for firmware 16.5 allows the esc's to play start up tunes and one of them IS the Imperial March so the next time I plug my Gremlin in that is getting set up. There are several tunes that can be played by setting a certain strength number. I will have to find the post and give credit to the person finding this but its in one of our Gremlin themed threads here.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
More RAW TriFlight0.7 Beta2 firmware testing. This time with BabyTri#1 and default PID and Yaw settings. Was VERY windy at the field.

WARNING LOUD AUDIO!!!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
More RAW testing

Managed to get more testing in yesterday. Got called in to work and only had time for one pack per frame.

Baby Tri#1. More Agressive 5152 props, New full float tail routines

BabyTri#2. Bumped servo voltage up from 5.23V to 5.93V (faster servo speed). Reset thrustfactor to default.
WARNING: LOUD AUDIO TRACK

Going to put the new tail control firmware on Baby tri #2 and raise servo voltage on Baby Tri #1 before next outing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
More raw testing. New beta version TriFlight0.7 Beta2 New Yaw Control V3.

Moving in wrong direction this time.

LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Is that yaw wobble the thing you are working on or did that recently show up in the testing? I don't remember it being that bad before.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
PsyBorg,
It's a typical tricopter thing and it is one of the things that @lauka is trying to illiminate. I'm currently testing TriFlight which is now based on BetaFlight. Flew about 6 packs last night messing with settings. Looks MUCH better after backing out some changes made to the defaults.
Check out last night's vid and let me know if it looks better to you to.

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I've never got all the tail wobble out of a tri-copter. There are just so many variables particularly after a crash.

My Twitchity mini-tri has never flown so well as it has after finding your posts here and on RCExplorer. Going to David's tail mount was HUGE because it removed the weak link (servo horns) that would strip out after any little crash. Triflight has been marvellous.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seems to me the over all tune is a tad loose. Its does wobble less in the straight runs and the suns finger of God is nice n straight with no vibration showing in that. The wobbles seem to have gotten worse in the harder turns though. Seems like it takes longer to settle back into straight.

I am in the process of re-tuning my Alien since my action camera died. Figured may as well stop carrying it for the weight so I can go a little faster. Now I have yaw wobbles I am fighting.