RD230 Mini-H Quad build

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I plan on it :D

I knew I forgot something! AUW with a Mobius and a 1300 3S 45C Nanotech rang in at 525 grams. I was aiming for under 500, didn't meet that goal but that's fine. Still 20 grams lighter than my other little FPV machine and aught to have a load more power with the Sunnyskys vs the RCX motors.

Reflective tape. Never thought of that. I considered painting it hot pink or something, as that has been an issue here and there. SD card hasn't come out as there's always been a piece of tape over it since day 1 thankfully.

Around 530 grams is pretty standard for a mini quad with 1300-1500 batt so you're pretty much on the money there. The RD230 also has more weight in the frame with the extra components. My BO was 430 grams with 1300 but without Möbius. With the tilt servo and möbius it is more around 500 grams now.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Thank you guys for the clarification. Dan, I can always count on you for a clear concise explanation. Alex, where are you in Montana. I'm in Billings.

BTW, My dog is disappointed that he can't be more involved in the dirty plate/clean plate thing.

Poor puppy :)

DarkShot

So I finally got around to doing a quick hover test with a couple punchouts and knocking the sticks a bit to see how she handled.

Man I can't wait to get out and fly. These Sunnys are beautiful looking and have soooooo much oomph. Bloody thing had more pop than I would have imagined, my first FPV flight is gonna be great :D

Beautifully done!
Did you use extensions on your FRSky receiver?

EDIT: Nope, doesn't look like it. Those look longer than the ones that come on even the D6FR.

Nah they're definitely the stock ones. I was surprised at their length too.

I've read the term "dirty plate/clean plate" before and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the state of my dinner plate before and after my dog gets it. So to what does it refer in the mini-quad context?

Dan hit it right on the nose. It's just a method of reducing vibes from reaching a camera or other vibration sensitive equipment by using dampners to separate the 'dirty' section, the source of potential vibrations from the 'clean' section where the camera and whatever else you might have attached to. A couple good examples would be the system that David uses on his tricopters and the battery/GoPro mount on Blackout's Spider Hex. Both are an under-slung clean section vs top mount, but they use the mass of the battery to cut out most of the remaining vibrations, just as Dan said.

Around 530 grams is pretty standard for a mini quad with 1300-1500 batt so you're pretty much on the money there. The RD230 also has more weight in the frame with the extra components. My BO was 430 grams with 1300 but without Möbius. With the tilt servo and möbius it is more around 500 grams now.

Aye. She weights around 500 grams with a cheap 1000 Zippy pack, but I much prefer using the high C rating batteries on these guys. Even if a 1300 45C is a little overkill for the Sunnys with 5" props, it's nice piece of mind to know that I won't completely implode a battery from pushing it too hard.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
That battery is not overkill. You'll find the battery will have a much longer life. The nanotech 1500 35c work well too. Those are the only two batteries I would recommend for your setup. I guess it depends on how hard you fly but there's only one way to fly these things ;)

If you try out the cutdown FC props (which you HAVE TO DO) you may need to move to the nanotech 1800 65c batteries as the others scream in pain with those props on if you thrash it.

DarkShot

Aye, I probably won't fly with anything less. I'll definitely give them a try too! For now just some easy going Gemfan props.

MT Alex

I'm very glad to see that your pictures have returned:D
Also, where did you get your short SMA extension? Most of the ones I have found are 12" long with no 90 on them.

DarkShot

Yeah the beauty of Photobucket. Might use imgur instead if it keeps up.

I got the SMA extension from a seller on Ebay and also got some extra right angle SMA adapters, one of which I use on my goggles so the antenna sits higher.

Order multiples as they're dirt cheap and more than worth it. I'm glad I did as one wasn't properly assembled and one of the connectors came off. Not that big of a deal when they're only a couple bucks.

Also got a video from a little while ago, had a funfly with a couple other local folks finally. It was definitely fun to fly with others as before then I had only flown by myself.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Someone's having fun ;). I kept looking at the playground for some fast proximity

Cough cough cough cutdown FC's cough cough cough :D

DarkShot

Once I destroy all hundred some odd gemfan props then I'll go to the FCs. Got way too many of them to just not use and have go to waste :)

I never got around to doing much proximity there, still gotta work on tuning it so she flies the way I want.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I had a box full of Gemfans since I didn't want to run out. After trying out the FC's I donated them to Soma for product testing :D

MT Alex

Nice video, I let out an audible "Whoa!" at :21.

Also, thanks for the info, I ordered a pigtail very similar earlier today off of ebay, and I have a few standard 90s from RMRC.

DarkShot

I had a box full of Gemfans since I didn't want to run out. After trying out the FC's I donated them to Soma for product testing :D

Heh. I do have some 5x4 FC props to try as well, but all I've got battery wise are 1.0, 1.3, and 2.2 3S packs. I presume the jump to the FC props would eat batteries like nothing.

You find it was easier to tune with the FC props? That alone might warrant my switching over.

Nice video, I let out an audible "Whoa!" at :21.

Also, thanks for the info, I ordered a pigtail very similar earlier today off of ebay, and I have a few standard 90s from RMRC.

Hah thanks. Yeah, didn't see the wire then saw myself go down. Was quite funny.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The 5x4 props will increase top speed a bit but will only increase thrust by about 30 grams per motor. You will need to de-tune a bit with the FC's because of the extra power. I could give you my PID's for my BO. You're running a flip but it should still be close. What's your PID's now! The 1300's will still work fine. I use a few old Warpquad 1300's on the blackout for my light race setup. You just can't hold WOT for long periods before the batt alarm starts sounding :D

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Oh and I hit a wire recently too but it was at night at a skate park over concrete. Ouch! Still gong strong though! Just put the battery on and kept flying (much lower though) :)

MT Alex

Here's a random question, but what functions to you need access to the USB port on your Flip 1.5 that can't be taken care of with the Bluetooth? I'll be rotating mine, since I didn't get the Bluetooth expansion, a decision I'm regretting.

DarkShot

Just loading the sketch onto the board and clearing the eeprom if the board decides to give you issues that requires such an action.

I like the ability to be able to plug it in at any time and flash an altered sketch at my leisure. I won't flash it every day, but it saves me the need to pull it apart every time I need to plug it into my computer.

It'll still be worth your while to grab a bluetooth module and wait for it to come in. I ordered one off of ebay, but needed to use an FTDI adapter to change the baud rate on the bluetooth module so it would communicate with the Flip board, but you can get them from places appropriately set up.

DarkShot

Here's another little bit of video from the funfly I went to. Just some easy cruising and dancing with a couple other minis.

Good fun it is to fly with others. Aught to do it more often.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Nice edit DarkShot. :)
Someone who spends the time to edit something properly deserves more credit I say.

The RD230 is looking more locked in now!

I'm compiling some footage from my BO mini H now I've finally got the Mobius installed and will have something soon to post so we"ll have to have a "video off" :D