Re-design For the Nieuport 24

CatholicFlyer

Okay, the only person I told the problems of the first design was to @Chuppster how the wood braces was just standing there and the previous high temp hot glue gun was too hot to actually hold anything together. Forgive the horrible drawing, but I got myself a sketch pad and trying to redo the large scale Nieuport 24, now the one before the guy I want to honor, is a guy named Mick Mannock, an Irishman and Pilot for the all Irish Division in World War One and he started off in the SE5 as a trainer and then flew it in the beginning of the war, when he moved up in rank, so did his plane, next he moved up to the Nieuport 17 and then finally the Nieuport 24.

As you know or may not, or may not even care, this year is the 100th Anniversary of World War One

So that is why I am focusing on World War One planes for now, then work begin my try to the De Havilland Mosquito.

As you can see I want to do some sort of rib and spar re-enforcement in both wings and the Nieuport has the X spars and cord, either hobby gauge or fishin line. Bottom Wing is 4 feet by 2 feet wide, then top is 5 feet long by 3 feet long. I was thinking maybe a foot thick rib, but not sure if that would be too thick and give to much flex and shape, airfoil I think it is called, still learning this language. Also the front is to be smaller, I think someone on the forum said it be best to give it more performance, but the entire fuseloge would be normal large size.

Attachments

• WIN_20180902_00_47_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180902_00_47_29_Pro.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180902_00_47_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180902_00_47_34_Pro.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180902_00_47_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180902_00_47_39_Pro.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180902_00_48_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180902_00_48_08_Pro.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

So I want to redesign the SE5 into the French Nieuport 24, where the cockpit is right up near the engine, not farther back as the SE5.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You can use the receiver that you intend to put in the Bristol (you can either swap it from plane to plane or buy another identical one).

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
If I read the text correctly and look at some of the notes on the pics there are a couple of watchouts on the scale you propose.

First some basic terms.
Length of the wing = wingspan or WS
Front of the wing = leading edge or LE
Back of the wing = trailing edge or TE
Chord = the distance between the LE and TE.

On the top wing, for a 5 foot wingspan, a 3 foot chord is too much - a 1 foot chord would be more than enough based on the SE5 wing design. I would reduce the lower wing to the same ratio.

If I read correctly you said a 1 foot thickness wing? Wing thickness is normally expressed as a % of the chord. Depending on the wing type this can be anywhere from 5% (thin fast wings) to 15% or a little more (for thick, slower, higher lift wings). So lets say your top wing chord is 1 foot, then a 15% thickness wing would be a little under 2 inches.

Also, take a look at some three views of the model. If I am not mistaken the top wing is swept back a little.

DamoRC

CatholicFlyer

If I read the text correctly and look at some of the notes on the pics there are a couple of watchouts on the scale you propose.

First some basic terms.
Length of the wing = wingspan or WS
Front of the wing = leading edge or LE
Back of the wing = trailing edge or TE
Chord = the distance between the LE and TE.

On the top wing, for a 5 foot wingspan, a 3 foot chord is too much - a 1 foot chord would be more than enough based on the SE5 wing design. I would reduce the lower wing to the same ratio.

If I read correctly you said a 1 foot thickness wing? Wing thickness is normally expressed as a % of the chord. Depending on the wing type this can be anywhere from 5% (thin fast wings) to 15% or a little more (for thick, slower, higher lift wings). So lets say your top wing chord is 1 foot, then a 15% thickness wing would be a little under 2 inches.

Also, take a look at some three views of the model. If I am not mistaken the top wing is swept back a little.

DamoRC

Thanks Damo. I will do as you say, makes great sense.

CatholicFlyer

you see how far the wings and cockpit are back, the Nieuport 24, it is darn near right behind the engine. Instead of the straight up and down spars, it does the X shape.

CatholicFlyer

I just scrapped the Nieuport and the fuselage is fine, it wasn't held by the super hot glue I previously used, so I used the Low Temp. Gorrila glue sticks and rubber bands to hold the proper shape while drying, it is back, now to recreate the wings and everything.