Solved Readiboard paper problems

okrylan

Hey! Was recieved super well by the forum last week and I’m currently working on my first ever rc Plane. I am building the noob tube design. I am using the recommended readi board foam but when I try score and take the paper off it always tears and sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Figure9

Elite member
Hey! Was recieved super well by the forum last week and I’m currently working on my first ever rc Plane. I am building the noob tube design. I am using the recommended readi board foam but when I try score and take the paper off it always tears and sticks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, welcome to DTFB agony. The paper you want to take off The DTFB tenaciously clings to the foam but the paper you want to stick to the completed model delaminates easily.
Just make the thin cut through the paper you’re removing & assist the peeling carefully with your razor knife blade taking care not to gouge the exposed bare foam.
You’ll get better at it the more you do it. Peeling & bending is my favorite mostly trouble free way to fold & form wings.
To keep paper on the foam & not inclined to delaminate be sure to use hot glue, ironing or oil based MinWax to seal exposed edges & the paper surfaces exposed to abuse from flying, landing or crashing. I also use mono coat & tape to protect finished models from delaminating.
Good luck.

T-Richard

I use the Elmer's foam and that paper will not come off easily. Saturating it with water and letting it dry completely out makes it possible. Still really hard with the black stuff. May try Rubbing alcohol

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
rubbing alcohol does work to loosen up paper on elmer's foamboard, but you will still spend time gently rubbing the paper to get it off.

JClaude

I use the Elmer's foam and that paper will not come off easily. Saturating it with water and letting it dry completely out makes it possible. Still really hard with the black stuff. May try Rubbing alcohol

Hi T-Richard, don't let the water completely dry... I had the same problem with white european foam boards. My solution is that I spray water with a sprayer for plants, after making small holes with a pin. I wait a few seconds and then I start to peel by rubbing with my fingers.

Kind regards.

T-Richard

Hi T-Richard, don't let the water completely dry... I had the same problem with white european foam boards. My solution is that I spray water with a sprayer for plants, after making small holes with a pin. I wait a few seconds and then I start to peel by rubbing with my fingers.

Kind regards.
Hmm ill try that. Having a though time with a particular board

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I agree, it sucks trying to get the black paper off.

T-Richard

I am building with black Elmer's out of lack of choice. Its heavy but it does have its advantages as well.

First at it tougher, a lot tougher.
Its hard to delaminate thus this thread lol. So that means it can last.

I am building all my 2020 builds with the heavy foam. Ill adapt my builds to accommodate the extra weight.

Next up is the frc x32 which because of the added strength of the foamboard I wont need to tape or spar the plane.

Then itll be a 130% ft simple scout. At tgat size i am sure itll be great

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Try warming the paper with a clothes in set at nylon heat (middling heat). It works for UK Westboard foamboard to loosen the glue enough to allow the paper to easily peel off. It's terrible to take off otherwise.

okrylan

I have found a feasible solution that I’ve had near 100% success rate with.

1. Only peel side with sticker
2. Score in Multiple sections if doing full side.
3. At the edges dig a little into the foam before grabbing the paper. This ensures you grab all of the paper.
4. Pull upwards away from the board not down the board as If you were cutting.
5. if pulling A long strip re-grab near the bottom after a while and continue pulling upwards.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Watch this. It works. Rubbing alcohol loosens the paper without softening the paper like water.

Don't get alcohol on the paper where you want it to stay stuck for the same reason.

KBTalon17

RotorBoyFPV
I saw someone mention it but if you make sure that you cut the foam so that all the places you need to peel the paper are on the same side that the brand sticker is on. for some reason the paper peels a lot easier on that side.