JGplanes

After watching the FT Battleship episode with the warbirds dropping bombs, I decided there wasn't enough good (somewhat realistic) bomb drops. I began designing these, and I'm pretty close to the final product. It prints in three pieces, snaps together, and uses one 9g servo. It also has built in sequencing, so the bombs don't all drop at once. I've setup slower servo timing on my transmitter also, but have yet to test it. After readying my combat plane for FliteFest, I decided to go ahead and add them since the t/w ratio is pretty good, and I don't have enough channels to add them to my other planes. Get ready for some bomb drop action!

PS: probably won't use these in combat at FF, unless someone has a good idea how to do so. :)

Bombs away.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Great idea the hard part is going to find the bombs after you drop them. It would be cool to come up with a nose piece that could be filled with flour and when it hits the ground would send up a puff of white smoke.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Great idea the hard part is going to find the bombs after you drop them. It would be cool to come up with a nose piece that could be filled with flour and when it hits the ground would send up a puff of white smoke.

That or baby powder - one of the guys at our field does that, and it puts out a HUGE cloud when it hits; looks awesome!

JGplanes

The bombs have screw on noses, so perhaps you could attach a small tissue paper bag of baby powder to it. Maybe we’ll have to do some testing at FF. If I remember I’ll try and bring some baby powder and tissue paper.

But then... weight :)

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I always thought it would be cool to drop helium balloons with 50ft of fishing line and a rock tied to it, kind of like an observation blimp from ww1. So that when a plane flies into it its prop will get caught.

JGplanes

I always thought it would be cool to drop helium balloons with 50ft of fishing line and a rock tied to it, kind of like an observation blimp from ww1. So that when a plane flies into it its prop will get caught.

Hmm. If we had CO2 cartridges filled with helium! You could fire/drop them and the weight of the cartridge would hold the balloon down. What an awesome idea!

DKchris

An off-the-top-of-my-head idea for those bomb noses: Cut off a finger from a latex glove. Fill the tip with flour, talc etc., put a suitable breakable membrane over the surface of the bomb body (That's likely the most tricky bit - finding the right material), and then pull the shroud of the latex finger up over the sides of the bomb body to attach it. On impact the dust should then shoot up into the bomb body and disperse from there. The body would of course have to have openings to let out the dust.
Should be easy to handle, and the "noses" are fast and cheap to make and do not add much weight.

Photo001

JG,

Did you ever finalize this design & upload it to Thingiverse? This is just the thing that I'm looking for to add to my Kraken!

Thanks,
Lane

Crow929

I'm really interested in the release mechanism.
Are you going to upload those plans, or maybe show the way you made it work?

Thanks

Add another servo in the tail and load up MOAB (mother of all bombs) in the tail. Or you can always put a couple paratroopers in there, if they get hit before they hit the ground its extra points.:D

L Edge

Master member
JG, Like your bomb device. If you have a DX9, and use the Sequencer menu, you could have a nifty way to sequence one side and then the other by the flip of one switch and do any sequence you want to set up.

A sequencer program is fun to learn and use. I set up my transport braking sequence so I have no nose wheel brake(takeoff), full brake to park and a sequence where I oscillate the brake off and on quickly to allow the transport taxi down the run way. All with the engine on at idle or better. I also sequenced my one motor to turn on, wait 4 seconds, and then the second starts all by the flip of a switch. Now that is scale.

JGplanes

That's pretty cool, but I only have DX6s so no fancy stuff for me. I was just glad to get it setup on the flaps channel so I could slow down the release.

JG