Real pusher props for Explorer and other FTs?

beacon

I can't find a real pusher prop. When used with my prop-saver, all the props I’ve found only sit securely on the shaft (and up against the prop saver) with their reducer/adapter-side towards the motor. Mounted like this, to work as a pusher means that the designed following-edge becomes its leading-edge. So, the motor spins one way and the prop is an inefficient pusher. Reverse the motor and the prop efficiently makes the plane go backwards.

Where can I find a prop that will work with my motor? Or make all the other ones function properly?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I can't find a real pusher prop. When used with my prop-saver, all the props I’ve found only sit securely on the shaft (and up against the prop saver) with their reducer/adapter-side towards the motor. Mounted like this, to work as a pusher means that the designed following-edge becomes its leading-edge. So, the motor spins one way and the prop is an inefficient pusher. Reverse the motor and the prop efficiently makes the plane go backwards.

Where can I find a prop that will work with my motor? Or make all the other ones function properly?
Firstly I do not use prop savers on pushers, (Planes rarely reverse into the ground). If you need to fit the prop saver then the prop MUST face the correct direction, If you need to then drill out or ream out the prop to suit the prop saver. There is no other simple way around it!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

beacon

Two of my pusher planes have their props exposed to the ground: a flying wing and one with twin tails. So a prop saver are a must. On the Explorer, a prop adapter works fine.
Hai-Lee and Daxian are right. I'll have to do some drilling or gluing of adapters to make real pusher props that will work with the prop savers.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Two of my pusher planes have their props exposed to the ground: a flying wing and one with twin tails. So a prop saver are a must. On the Explorer, a prop adapter works fine.
Hai-Lee and Daxian are right. I'll have to do some drilling or gluing of adapters to make real pusher props that will work with the prop savers.
FYI.

I have a number of different planes including pushers and I rarely use a prop saver at all. The planes are about 50% with landing gear and the remainder without! Prop savers are often a cause of poor efficiency because at higher power settings the prop lifts off of its seat and the whole assembly can vibrate especially in windy and turbulent conditions.

I do use a single prop saver on my TT but then I use it for training, especially the landings! I haven't broken a prop in a long time, (close to a year now), Landing with the motor cut is mandatory to save props!

Have fun!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm with Hai-Lee on this one,

90% of preventing prop damage is throttle control. I very rarely break a prop but its not for a lack of trying! I've never used a prop saver so I can't help much in that area other that to reiterate that its probably not required, even if the prop is below the fuselage at landing...

I've had this FT Cruiser a long time. The only prop I remember breaking was on one of my first flights. (if not maiden) I ditched the landing gear and haven't broken a prop on it since! I didn't even break one on this flight! ;)