Real talk - how many hours/flights/landings do you get out of your foam board builds?

shadeyB

Legendary member
, like nose diving into the ground at 55 degrees angle of attack.

lol those moves are called practise pretend landing lol

i got another 1hr added to these baby’s this morning
I half expected the edge to do some of the nose diving moves while inverted and rolling but was lucky enough to ocme home wearing the same prop at it left wit, now that’s a 1st in a long time, I was close to smoking the motor also as I decided to throw a 4s in it for extra fun lol
after all it’s only a bit foam and I have seen soooo many those shop bought 3D planes break into wood or foam confetti
F4AA4C4E-13BA-4AFB-908E-E7D4827F8F49.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I fly 10-15 flights per plane per week. I fly 30-40 weeks per year. I get 6-12 months out of a plane before it is completely retired. During the life of my planes, there are many minor repairs and 2-3 major repairs.

When a plane hits the ground, something will break. I intentionally build in weak spots to control where it will break. I try to make the weak spots something easy and quick to repair.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
My converted chuck gliders are by far the most durable planes i have but with a little key reinforcement my foam board planes can take a pretty good hit. I like packing tape and wood or carbon spars.

My sea duck has probably seen 50 take offs and landings now. She doesn't do anything dramatic because of the weight and expensive gear, not to mention the 15,000 mah of batteries... I put packing tape and aluminum "skids" under it so I can take off and land on my dirt/rock driveway. Works like a charm.
20200413_081135.jpg

Guy S.

Hey look, the fact that I have all of $4 in foam in a plane is a major draw for me.
If you are where you are seldom crashing there are lots of tips on how to build these things for longer life.
When you get where you almost never crash it might be time for a more complex build. Balsa, plywood, shrink covering will be repairable and last until the day comes that you do hard crash it.
Cheap foam board planes are the only reason I came back to rc planes. As much as I like each build I make, I try not to let them be “ Precious“. And don’t really even decorate them very much.

jack10525

Wow great thread! I’ve built at least 50 ft planes in the last 4 years. Probably a lot more. I’ve also bought quite a few foam pnp planes. The ft planes may last 1 to 30 flights but it never hurts as much to crash them vs. the store bought foamies. My problem a lot of times is my rush to build and using whatever motor and prop I have laying around. Sometimes the planes aren’t made to spec. But it sure is fun to see you experiment fly even if it is only 20 seconds!!! Been having good success with a scratch built stick. Just need a better motor.

synjin

Elite member
I can think of 3 FT planes that I have that are 1-2 years old, hundreds of flights on them, many hard landings and crashed several of them too. 2 are belly landers and one has gear. For my planes that have gear I have utilized a system that uses rubber bands to hold them on, much like we use for high mounted wing planes.

The one pictured below is pretty beat up and one of the uglier ones as its endeared hundreds of landings. Just landing wire and coroplast. View attachment 165686

View attachment 165687

Corriplas for supporting Bushwhacker type landing gear!?! Genius! I love the Bushwhacker type landing gear for the ease of build, but the FB panel can get crunched and weakened easily. But, this set-up! I'm using this in the future!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
My foamboard craft last longer then I can keep them from crashing... but then again, I tend to push my limits regularly. plane from my PfP has hit a gate at ~30mph for example, and only took a few minutes to fix it.

Sero

Elite member
Corriplas for supporting Bushwhacker type landing gear!?! Genius! I love the Bushwhacker type landing gear for the ease of build, but the FB panel can get crunched and weakened easily. But, this set-up! I'm using this in the future!
Glad someone could make use of my idea!

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I've crashed a lot of fb planes, and the most important tip I can recommend is to reinforce the bbq skewer holes. I use old gift cards and hotel keycards by cutting a little square out, drilling a hole in it, and gluing it to the back of the holes.

Pieliker96

Elite member
I've crashed a lot of fb planes, and the most important tip I can recommend is to reinforce the bbq skewer holes. I use old gift cards and hotel keycards by cutting a little square out, drilling a hole in it, and gluing it to the back of the holes.
Little bits of FR4 (PCB material, layered fiberglass), the plastic from blister packaging, and plywood work great for this purpose as well.

Intashu

Elite member
When it comes to landing gear (which is constantly the first thing to go on my planes that have them)
there are two methods I found that seem to work well depending on the bird.

the first is you strap in some basswood strips or plans, and the landing gear is actually bonded/bolted to that. It spreads out the load to a much larger area for only a little more weight. this works best on larger planes like the Bushwhacker, the edge 540, etc.

On the smaller planes I take the alternative route, I make the landing gear removable, and springy. I support where it goes into the plane with Popsicle sticks, but the gear itself is basically bonded to some foam-board and pushed into the plane in a slot. if the gear bends or is damaged it's really easy to remove and fix/replace. Alternatively you can mount your landing gear to a plate, and use rubber bands to hold the plate to your plane's underbelly. that way instead of breaking the plane the bands will give it some forgiving spring (or snap and throw off the gear but it should be less injury to the plane overall than fixed gear that TEAR out of the plane.

As for how long they last, that STRONGLY depends on the pilot and use of the plane. I've had planes last two flights and they started falling apart. but the very first mighty mini scout we ever built is STILL flying and that thing has taken loads of abuse. I actually am more likely to retire perfectly good flying planes simply because I keep building too many, But I've had some I really liked that took just one too many bad landings and it ended it's career.

I guess I had not considered recording my number of flights or hours on any given plane before.. I should start to do that, it wouldn't be hard to do!

I think the biggest draw to foamboard planes however is just how cheap and easy it is to repair and replace parts on them, I can smash a plane in a nosedive crash, and by the end of the evening it will be ready to fly again. (although not fully re-painted)

Foam planes will never STAY pretty. I have a few I spent a bit too much time on getting the paint JUUUUUST right on them, and every time I do it's like I placed a curse on the plane to fail. The more time I spend painting them the more scared I am to fly them, and the more likely I am to crash them. I agree with others here, the uglier the plane, the more durable it seems to become. The pretty ones come and go but the crap-tastic planes take abuse all day long and don't seem to want to die no matter what you do to them. That simple scout I mentioned earlier I've tried to fold the wing on it, pushed it into VERY high speed dives and loops on a 2700kv 2205 motor with a 6x4 prop.. I've done crap to that plane thinking for sure it would die... and no, it's still in our hanger, still flies great as the say we made it.. even if it's had a bit of extra hotglue added over time added to keep it flying.

Sero

Elite member
Foam planes will never STAY pretty. I have a few I spent a bit too much time on getting the paint JUUUUUST right on them, and every time I do it's like I placed a curse on the plane to fail. The more time I spend painting them the more scared I am to fly them, and the more likely I am to crash them. I agree with others here, the uglier the plane, the more durable it seems to become. The pretty ones come and go but the crap-tastic planes take abuse all day long and don't seem to want to die no matter what you do to them.

Ah the pretty airplane curse......and why ugly planes fly better and last longer.

New.....
IMG_20190927_083955.jpg

1.5 yrs and 200+ flights later.....
PXL_20210125_195348954.jpg

Still looks the same from 50 feet at 120 mph....

Intashu

Elite member
That plane has survived well.. BUUUUUT I argue that the paint job is simple enough that I say my rule still applies, but it's well done and real clean too.

and hot damn that's fast!

Timmy

Legendary member
My longest lasting plane so far is my 1st FT Otter. It lasted a bit over a month before I decided to scrap it. My first TT lasted a month too I think. It was really beat up though so built another.

Pieliker96

Elite member
My longest lasting plane so far is my 1st FT Otter. It lasted a bit over a month before I decided to scrap it. My first TT lasted a month too I think. It was really beat up though so built another.

I have an Otter that I built over the summer of 2018 from the brown foam kit. I added some flaps on the inboard trailing edge just for kicks. It's had somewhere north of 50 flights on it, and has survived quite a bit of abuse with minimal repairs. I've stalled it and nosed it in at low altitudes four times in the water - and one time from a decent altitude on ice. I've only noticed one weak point: the stress riser created by the back corner of the hatch cutout causes the paper there to tend to delaminate, which is helped along by the exposure to water. I also ended up replacing the battery tray. Here it is drying off after the most recent of those hard water landings:

20200802_203401_HDR.jpg

I'm especially proud of being able to bring it back after its elevator servo failed in flight. I was half a mistake high on the upwind leg over the lake and had just pulled up into an aileron roll when it happened. As I pulled out of the roll, it felt like the plane had become tail-heavy, like the battery had shifted rearwards. I put it into a turn to keep it from pitching to vertical. On the downwind leg, I gave it full down-elevator deflection and a decent amount of power, but it just pitched up - and, when power was reduced, stalled, dropping a wingtip. I recovered and put it into a left-turning orbit with a bank angle somewhere north of 45 degrees. Over the course of six or seven turns, I gradually decreased the altitude with power reduction until I was right above the surface and pointed at myself. I then rolled out of the descending orbit and let it mush into a subpar water landing. After I had taxied it back to the dock, I wiggled the sticks, noted the elevator wasn't moving, opened the hatch, and noted the battery hadn't moved.

It was a great stroke of luck to have the servo die in a position where recovery was possible and have it happen in a plane with a non-negligible power-pitch coupling due to the vertical location of the motor. These two factors, along with my familiarity of the flight envelope of the airplane, allowed me to bring it back unscathed. Every time I fly it, I'm running on borrowed time, which makes it a lot easier to fly it like I stole it. This thing screams on 4 cells.