Real world pilot and Rookie rc guy from Seattle, WA

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Just got back into the hobby after a 15 year break! I could just never figure out how to fly the planes I would build them, then try to fly, and they would explode into a thousand pieces. It was very discouraging!!! But now, thanks to FT, I am back into it and the guys at FT make it so easy to understand and comprehend the hobby. I wish these guys were around back then, plus the internet makes it a lot easier. I also got my private pilots certificate a few years ago and that really helped me understand the dynamics of flight, weight and balance and so on...But, renting an airplane and flying is really expensive and flying RC is much less expensive and very fun! I am going to get into FPV to get that real feeling of flight, but for now I am working on the LOS method and getting used to RC Planes.

Thanks to the FT team I have one of their speed build kits coming to help me transition into 4 channel from 3. I currently am flying an Ares Taylorcraft 130 for my first plane. Lets say it is getting a little beat up, especially after I put a keyfob camera on it and flew it around. It didn't really like the extra weight...

All I can say is thanks to the FT team for all the great work they have done, does anyone know how to send them this message? I cant thank them enough, great stuff here!!!!

Hey! I am a lot like you!
I-
-am a rookie
-live in Seattle
and
-have taken Private Pilot Ground School! (Though I haven't gotten my licence, since I am only 15)
Nice to know there are RC pilots over here!
-(WhittyFlightJokeHere)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hear here

Welcome to flight test!

Hopefully your real piloting skills have been better for you then the RC experience you have described. The fact you are here posting suggests that may be true ;)

As for Flite Test crew seeing your praise. Many do read the forums and the mods and support staff keep an eye on things in here and I am sure would pass the word when they see it.

Good luck with the new kit as they do look fun and easy to build. Make sure you get us the maiden footage as there is a special thread just for that. Good or bad. No one laughs we just all shake our heads and say.. I remember doing that same thing. Also do you fly on a flight simulator at all? They are nice to change weather conditions to boost skills faster without costing anything for repairs.

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Welcome back! There are lots of us RC hobbyists in the Seattle area. I would recommend that you join a local club. There's a wealth of information in those groups!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
HEY WITTY, when your ready to fly, check these guys out in Renton http://www.rainierflightservice.com/
Lots of planes and great crew to learn from.
Your at a great age to get into flying for a career, if that's what your into!

Oh yes, I do fly sims! https://youtu.be/jb6fF6LP3wM

https://youtu.be/_in-wbkO8Ag

I also have an RC sim with controller, but Xplane is much funner! Is that a word, funner?

I actually flew my Taylorcraft 130 second try with no problem, just need to work on the reversed flying, inverted and stop trying to pull 9g maneuvers... its also red and small and hard to see...

Last edited: