RealFlight-X RFX Review - Latest but NOT greatest. Buy 7.5 instead while you can!

ChopperChopper

Tried to post my review in FliteTest Store but as I didn't buy it from there I cannot post my honest review.

What do others who've been tricked like me think of RFX?

If you want to use your sim to learn to fly something, RFX is NOT the one to buy.
If you want to FPV or hop on board your chosen aircraft and have a realistic experience flying around on it then the graphics are really good if your PC will run it. They're still nowhere near as good as an XBOX or Playstation, and more like minecraft but they add realism over previous versions.

The main image seems to have three depths of field each with different detail levels. Fly low along some grassy area and you'll see what I mean. Out to about 5 metres ahead you can indeed see every blade of grass. Further away there's a blocky zone where definition is lost and little details (like features of your model to help orientation) are pixellated too much. Last is the background which is nicely fuzzy so you don't really concentrate on it and can see things nearer you more easily against it.

If I try to fly as I would at our field, standing in one spot flying my models in front, RealFlight X makes a very poor simulation as the middle-distance blocky region is where the model is most of the time. Any smaller model, or a heli with thin tail bar quickly becomes 'lost' in orientation. I have much trouble 'landing' planes in RFX that I could land well with my old version 6.5 and can do in reality, mostly because the 'finals' run is done in the blocky middle-distance region. Visibility is slightly improved by moving the sun position but it is not the total answer.

There is much criticism on the forums that RFX needs so much computing power. Yes it does, but if you buy the right PC it does run very well. Funny thing is, I'd stopped upgrading RealFlight since Version 6.5 because my old computer was not up to it any longer. I bought a new PC at RFXs 'optimum specifications' and now my old Version 6.5 runs so well it has become my new favourite!!! I get 250 frames per second and fly so hard I don't notice that the old graphics aren't as 'good'. Many forum writers feel the same way after their happy Version 7.5 experiences.

RFX has released one update in Dec 2016 and also added a vehicle editor so you can import SOME of your favourites if you have previous RealFLight versions or from SWAP pages, or need to 'fix' those included. Development is evidently continuing. This is not a finished product yet. It was rushed out for Christmas. FliteTest ran a show recently on having Simulator fun but really you can have as much fun with any Simulator, it is not restricted to RFX. However you need to be in the same room as there is currently no online gameplay in this new version of RealFlight.

I would suggest that if you want to use your sim to learn to fly grab RealFlight Version 7.5 instead while they're being sold off cheap. You will have a better product! If you're thinking FPV and 'onboard action' then it's worth a look but don't skip on the PC requirements.

Sorry RealFlight - only 2 star rating... :mad:

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Thank you for the Review.
I´m using RealFlight 7.5 and i´m really happy with it. Only point i´m not happy with 7.5 is that it do not run on Mac so i run it on an old PC with lower performance. Mac support will be for me the only reason to upgrade the version.
Does RFX work on Mac?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Thank you for the Review.
I´m using RealFlight 7.5 and i´m really happy with it. Only point i´m not happy with 7.5 is that it do not run on Mac so i run it on an old PC with lower performance. Mac support will be for me the only reason to upgrade the version.
Does RFX work on Mac?

From what I've heard, if you install bootcamp and Windows on the Mac, then it can be made to run. Also, possibly with VMWare Fusion, but that can be tricky. And I'm not sure if the version is RFX or one of the prior versions. There is a RealFlight forum - I would read/ask there.

Myself, I run aerofly RC 7 native on the Mac. I got a little adapter thing for about $7 and can use my Taranis as the controller. It may not be the best simulator - I don't know. But it does get me working my thumbs and crashing without having to spend time doing repairs!

Mike