Really new to flying

Slimchans

Hey peeps. As the title says I am new to flying except for some toy grade stuff like airhogs planes and some cheaper quads. I recently was gifted 5 balsa built planes and I am planning to start out with foamies before I even try those out. What better place to start than with Flight Test? I am really planning to start with the Seaduck because well it's the freaking Seaduck!

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Welcome to the forums @Slimchans!

It's a good idea to start with foamies before getting into balsa, but I would suggest the Tiny Trainer as your first plane. The seaduck is a pretty complicated and long build, and as far as I know not meant for beginner pilots.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Slimchans

Welcome to the forums @Slimchans!

It's a good idea to start with foamies before getting into balsa, but I would suggest the Tiny Trainer as your first plane. The seaduck is a pretty complicated and long build, and as far as I know not meant for beginner pilots.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
I hear you. Thanks for the advice. I will start with the trainer. For the price I will probably also order a Seaduck so I can take my sweet time with the build while I learn on a trainer.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The tiny trainer is great. If you want a standard size airplane trainer (the tiny trainer is a mini), go with the old speedster. It is an absolutely awesome airplane. I have loads of fun flying it after flying my spitfire or edge 540, and I have trained people off of it too. I learned on it as well. If at all possible, get someone to maiden whatever you chose first, and even buddy box if at all possible. Good luck and have fun!

Slimchans

I know it's been a while. I found a rtf hobby zone champ for 30 bucks at a pawn shop and tried it out. Thought I had plenty of space to fly the little thing in my back yard. Nope not at all. Had about 6 minutes of pretty good flying and then smacked into a 30ish year old oak tree about 20ft up. Messed up the wings and I have no clue what happened to the landing gear. Well I been looking at all the extras that came with the balsa planes that I was gifted and found plans for a house of balsa super decathlon. I'm thinking about having the plans reduced to the champ scale and building it around the running gear of the champ unless someone could point out a FT model that will work with it. I realize I still will only have 3ch control but hey its a start. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Timmy

Legendary member
As others have said, the Tiny Trainer is great, you can grow with it too. Just buy LOTS of extra props.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I know it's been a while. I found a rtf hobby zone champ for 30 bucks at a pawn shop and tried it out. Thought I had plenty of space to fly the little thing in my back yard. Nope not at all. Had about 6 minutes of pretty good flying and then smacked into a 30ish year old oak tree about 20ft up. Messed up the wings and I have no clue what happened to the landing gear. Well I been looking at all the extras that came with the balsa planes that I was gifted and found plans for a house of balsa super decathlon. I'm thinking about having the plans reduced to the champ scale and building it around the running gear of the champ unless someone could point out a FT model that will work with it. I realize I still will only have 3ch control but hey its a start. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I bought a Champ over 5 years ago and proceeded to use it to finally to learn to fly, (along with my eldest son). After so many repairs that it weighed more than twice its original weight, (A lot of glue and a few wire braces), I undertook to retire it after a full rebuild.

As the model is still being sold you should be able to buy almost any part required to return it to as new standard. You local hobby shop should be able to help in finding the required parts!

Have fun!

Slimchans

I bought a Champ over 5 years ago and proceeded to use it to finally to learn to fly, (along with my eldest son). After so many repairs that it weighed more than twice its original weight, (A lot of glue and a few wire braces), I undertook to retire it after a full rebuild.

As the model is still being sold you should be able to buy almost any part required to return it to as new standard. You local hobby shop should be able to help in finding the required parts!

Have fun!
I no longer have a local hobby shop. Sadly the one I had been using since the 90's closed almost 2 yrs ago. I just thought it would be a great chance to actually build a plane for the first time.

Is nobody going to ask?

Is the oak tree ok??? :D