Reaper Downing (a blessing in disguise)

Billhove2

Perhaps this is a talking point...

Many of you have seen information about the recent downing of a US Reaper "Drone"

The thing is that the #FAA thinks that radio controlled aircraft are a hazard to civil and military #aircraft. Yet one of the most advanced radio controlled aircraft on the planet can't even protect itself from bullies...

Obviously a radio controlled aircraft should be able to fly more slowly and turn in a much shorter distance than a military fighter jet. So, did we design it wrong, or do we use it wrong?

Either way, it seems that the US has an interest in expanding education in and exposure to radio controlled aircraft, so that tomorrow's project managers, designers and policy writers understand the concept. Instead of limiting the availability and use of such things only to the very rich, the FAA should be making it easier for all middle and high schools to have model aviation curriculum and programs.

In the meantime, the next time someone is picking on a US Military Drone, give #UncleBill a call, and we'll take care of them...

#aviation #SpecialRule336 #education #overregulation

Billhove2

Perhaps,
It might have been good to be a little of both? The DVII was both stable and agile, I believe that the SE5 also had these qualities. Grummans F-4F seems to fall into this category.

If all grade school students learn the basics of aerodynamics, and R/C model design and flight, and practice/refine it through high school and college, is it more likely that the project managers will ask the aeronautical engineers for the correct abilities and capabilities? :)

Bo123

Elite member
The reaper was never designed to be a dogfighter though.
Perhaps,
It might have been good to be a little of both? The DVII was both stable and agile, I believe that the SE5 also had these qualities. Grummans F-4F seems to fall into this category.

If all grade school students learn the basics of aerodynamics, and R/C model design and flight, and practice/refine it through high school and college, is it more likely that the project managers will ask the aeronautical engineers for the correct abilities and capabilities? :)

Billhove2

I 100% agree, that the reaper wasn't designed as a dogfighting aircraft.

I'm suggesting that the reaper was designed to meet an air force request, that didn't consider maneuverability desirable or necessary.

This request may have been generated by a team that had little experience and knowledge of model aircraft. Perhaps the good folks at Flitetest or even Horizon could design a UAV/UAS that had endurance, stability and agility.

Perhaps leading edge slats for low speed stability, crow braking, wing camber, etc.

Remember, if they can design something that can be built for $16 million each, they'll be half-price.

Piotrsko

Master member
Umm...... y'all ever dogfight your foamies? It's hard. The russian basically ran over the drone probably hitting it while cruising past at more than a couple hundred knots. There was even a drone prop strike on the russian craft and we didn't get to see much afterwards except the bent prop blade. Had to go through the V tail section to get the blade damage so I am guessing it wasn't a precision hit . Obviously not a Mensa grade russian which seems typical any more