Rebuild T-28 Trojan or Scratch Build?

SkyEye

Hi all. I have made an effort to get back in the hobby for a while and have been flying the simulator often to sharpen my flying skills again. I haven't flown in about 5 years, ever since my PZ T-28 Trojan went down and the required repairs seemed to much of a hassle for me. In retrospect the T-28 Trojan isn't in such bad shape. I0 will post pictures at some point so you guys have a better visual but it nose dived after a brown out so the cowling and most of the front of the plane is shredded up, but the fuselage and most control surfaces are intact. I'm guessing a lot of glue and tape?
Another problem I've found is a possible problem with the ESC (30A Eflite ESC). I went to power on the electronics with the all of the servos plugged in and the receiver binds for a second then everything shuts off. When I power everything on with just the motor plugged in it works fine. I just can't plug any servos in without the receiver turning off.
So far, those are the most pressing issues regarding the T-28. I am also considering using the electronics I have and trying out an FT plane. I'm in college now, an Aerospace engineer, and I have the patience and interest to try to build a plane up, whether that's from scratch or a broken plane. If I go the scratch build route I want an airframe that can be complimented by the electronics I already have to save some money. I also want a plane that can be versatile (big enough to be capable of some modifications like a bomb drop, flaps, etc) but can also handle basic aerobatics. I am inspired by the flight characteristics of CAS (close air support) aircraft. Slow flying yet maneuverable. The Embraer Super Tucano for example. It isn't the fastest but is rugged and can be reconfigured for a multitude of different missions. I've never done a scratch build before but the warbirds have caught my interest a little (P-40 in particular). Whatever it is will most likely get a beefy landing gear right off the bat. I have a paved runway but forced landings will more often than not happen in the dirt. Dry Arizona dirt.
Please let me know what you all think. I am simply asking for recommendations on what I should invest in. Whichever it is it will hopefully last awhile. It will be a work horse that I will keep airworthy for as long as I can. Thank you.

P.S. I doubt there is much of a way around this but one of the most discouraging things to me about getting back into the hobby are batteries. I think they're pricey and don't really know a good online retailer to get them from. The main RC hobby stores in my town have closed and I haven't kept up with what online retailers are reputable so a couple suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had great luck using a polyurethane glue, something like gorilla glue.

Hobby King’s Turnigy batteries have worked well for me.

SkyEye

I’ve had great luck using a polyurethane glue, something like gorilla glue.

Hobby King’s Turnigy batteries have worked well for me.
Gorilla Glue. Yes. I remember gorilla glue is actually what held my T-28 together after its first few crashes. I will be picking up another bottle ASAP and looking into those batteries as well. Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Gorilla Glue. Yes.
If they don't have gorilla glue, there are other brands of polyurethane glue that work equally well.
Tooth picks also give a bit of reinforcement, just make a hole, then add a bit of glue and reinstall.