Receiver for FT Edge 540 - is AS3X worth a bit extra?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
There are two schools of thought at my field, with the guys who fly 3D:

1) NO. It interferes with flight! I can't get it to release and allow me to fly properly!
2) When it's dialed in, I can do things that I couldn't do before, or I had to REALLY fight the controls to get it to fly the way it flies with AS3X on.

That last bit came from what everyone in our club considers to be the best pilot in the club. The guy's gone to Joe Nall and numerous other invitational events to fly 3D, and he makes it just look SO effortless. I've seen him take an Apprentice and fly it, inverted, 2 inches off the tarmac, and be cool as a cucumber. :) If he's saying it makes 3D flight EASIER, I'll take him at his word.

That said...You have to get it dialed in. How, on that, I'm not sure. I'd have to go to Spektrum and really read up on how to make adjustments to AS3X flight controllers, but if it can improve your flight, it might very well be worth it if you can get it programmed properly.

FDS

Elite member
You can get the Lemon RX stabiliser with full Spektrum compatibility for less money. That one allows you to tune the stability axis.
I need all the help I can get just flying 2d....

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm looking at getting a Spektrum RC AR636 6-Channel AS3X Sport Airplane Receiver for my new FT Edge 540. I have a Spectrum DX6 Transmitter. Any thoughts on this vs a Spektrum RC AR620 6-Channel DSMX? Is the AS3X worth a bit extra?

Not to disagree with @sprzout but I think it also depends on what your flying skills are. If you are a beginner, the stabilization can help but you don't want it to be a crutch you always lean on. If you are an experienced flyer then you won't need it for the edge (she's a pussycat to fly) but as @sprzout said, you may be able to push your 3D to the limits with the stabilization system.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not to disagree with @sprzout but I think it also depends on what your flying skills are. If you are a beginner, the stabilization can help but you don't want it to be a crutch you always lean on. If you are an experienced flyer then you won't need it for the edge (she's a pussycat to fly) but as @sprzout said, you may be able to push your 3D to the limits with the stabilization system.

@DamoRC is also correct in what he's saying. It's a crutch. It DOES make flying easier, because you're not having to make minute adjustments to keep the plane flying smoothly, like you would with a regular FT plane and a cheap non-stabilized receiver (Spektrum, Lemon, OrangeRX, or otherwise). I'm going by what a pro is telling me - that the stabilizer will allow you to do more, with less. Is it cheating? Maybe. The rules for competition 3D flight don't have anything in them about flying without them, but purists, they'll say that they want no part of it and it should be banned. That to me is just rules for rules sake, it's not a safety issue, so...fly with what you ultimately are comfortable with. Just be aware that if you have been flying 3D style flight and then jump in with the stabilizer on, you may have to re-learn how to fly 3D.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I have no experience flying 3D. I do have experience programming an AR636 and LemonRX units. The Lemons are much much easier to program and adjust, so if you do decide to get a stabilized RX, I would recommend the LemonRX LM0042.

Bricks

Master member
The Lemon being a good stabilizer is only 3 Axis it does not have Safe and 6 axis. The Lemon is either on or off with the AS3X you have different modes you can set up. If you go the AS3X you will need a programing cable.

Reactions: FDS

kDub-Racer

So, I went with AR636, but have not yet setup AS3X. i am an intermediate pilot with lots of flight time (and lots of crashes), so I think i will be able to handle the Edge based on what I have read about it's flight characteristics. I did maiden, but had my ailerons reversed, which made for a short flight. I have it back together now and will take it up this evening if the winds calm. Thanks for the advice!