Help! Receiver smoked and fried when connected - FT explorer. Power pack C

Sonny Eckford

Hi, I am new to RC airplanes (14 years old).

I have got the FT explorer and power pack C, with a Gens Ace 2200mAh, 3 cell battery (11.1v 24.4Wh). I purchased the Flysky FS-i6x transmitter with a 6 channel receiver. I am following the flitetest video for putting together the FT explorer. When I connected the receiver to the ESC and battery (following the video with the brown wire uppermost) the receiver started smoking and glowed red. I am pretty sure the receiver is fried, at least I can't link it to the controller.

Does anyone know if I have set this up wrong, or if I am using components that are not compatible, or if it is just a faulty receiver? I can get another receiver easily but don't want to just fry the next one as well.

My one thought is that the battery is 11.1v and the receiver says 4.0-8.4v/dc. Am I just using the wrong battery with the receiver or will the ESC output adjust for the receiver voltage levels?

Thanks for any advice.

Sonny

Tench745

Master member
I see you tried to attach a photo, but it's not showing up. The photo may tell us a lot more about what's going on here.

For the ESC to power the receiver it will have an internal BEC which drops the voltage to something safe for the receiver. Some BECs output a higher voltage than some receivers can handle, so you'll want to check what that voltage is.

Bricks

Master member
Not all receivers are like this...I have some RadioMaster receivers that want the signal wire on the bottom.

It should not fry the receiver as the power is normally in the middle the only one I have run across that was different was the old Futaba receivers and servos..

The only way I could see frying his receiver if it was plugged in with one pin completely out of the receiver. Which ...ahem... I did once smoked like crazy and fried the receiver. By this happening the power would then be routed to either ground or the signal point on the receiver, which will bring out the magic smoke..

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It should not fry the receiver as the power is normally in the middle the only one I have run across that was different was the old Futaba receivers and servos..

The only way I could see frying his receiver if it was plugged in with one pin completely out of the receiver. Which ...ahem... I did once smoked like crazy and fried the receiver. By this happening the power would then be routed to either ground or the signal point on the receiver, which will bring out the magic smoke..

Or someone plugged a battery directly into the receiver.