Rechargeable Battery that won’t recharge

smiling albert

Hi
Hope I’m not being stupid but when I try to charge this battery Ithe charger won’t let me and says there’s a disconnection problem
Other batteries work fine with this charger so I don’t think it’s the charger.

Have checked the voltage between the positive and negative and am getting 0.39and then tried between each two balance lead connectors and get 0,0.15,0.39 so it looks like all the connections are good,although the wires into the balance connector can be pushed in and out slightly .
Not sure where the disconnection / problem is.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 39279DE8-3275-4786-8CD6-01D63BEAA81E.jpeg
    39279DE8-3275-4786-8CD6-01D63BEAA81E.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 0
  • B7061B9C-2AE7-4E7E-AD77-E5ACC736FEB2.jpeg
    B7061B9C-2AE7-4E7E-AD77-E5ACC736FEB2.jpeg
    988.6 KB · Views: 0
  • D49D34C2-9377-4849-83FE-71B17C1FDA78.jpeg
    D49D34C2-9377-4849-83FE-71B17C1FDA78.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi
Hope I’m not being stupid but when I try to charge this battery Ithe charger won’t let me and says there’s a disconnection problem
Other batteries work fine with this charger so I don’t think it’s the charger.

Have checked the voltage between the positive and negative and am getting 0.39and then tried between each two balance lead connectors and get 0,0.15,0.39 so it looks like all the connections are good,although the wires into the balance connector can be pushed in and out slightly .
Not sure where the disconnection / problem is.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
try going on nimh mode, but keep it in like a sandbox in a lipo bag, until it reaches its nominal voltage, so 7.4v for that bat, at .1c I believe it is a 300mah bat, so charge it at the minimal your charger could do, so ideally .03a, and then you can normally charge it. Just dont put in the balance lead while charging it on nimh mode

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If those voltage readings are correct, likely the pack not going to recharge, it may be a lost cause.

Gently pull the balance plug wires to see if one has disconnected from inside the pack. You might check the overall voltage of the pack to see if it adds up to the voltage of the individual cells.

quorneng

Master member
Flyerin Style
Connection break means the charger is not seeing a voltage that it is expecting.
With the charger set to "LiPo" it will react with that message if an individual cell voltage is below 3.3V which yours clearly are.
Below 3.3 V a LiPo cell will have been damaged so don't expect the capacity to return to anything like its nominal capacity.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Flyerin Style
Connection break means the charger is not seeing a voltage that it is expecting.
With the charger set to "LiPo" it will react with that message if an individual cell voltage is below 3.3V which yours clearly are.
Below 3.3 V a LiPo cell will have been damaged so don't expect the capacity to return to anything like its nominal capacity.
Sorry. I did not realize that. I have had a batterry at 3.1 and it recharged just fine, I just brought it up to 3.7 on nimh mode and then balanced it.

Bricks

Master member
Most chargers in Lipo mode need a certain voltage at the battery before it will recognize the battery to start the charging process. If you can get the battery above that thresh hold then the charger will recognize the battery and start the charge process.

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks for the advice
Will try Niamh mode as suggested without using the balance lead.
How much danger is the charger in?
Don’t want to destroy that!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Ok
Thanks for the advice
dont know, but what is the voltage of the bat. when measured through the main leads. please answer before charging.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok
Thanks for the advice

If your battery has drained below 2.8 volts at worst I would not even THINK about trying to revive it. Best case is it takes the charge. Its ability to discharge properly under load will be severely damaged and use will only make it worse. I would not even revive it for low amp draw use like goggles or monitor. Your home and your health are not worth ANY battery period.

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks
Will dispose of it.
Have got 3 of these and I don’t think I’ve used this one anymore than the others and I do check them fairly regularly so can’t understand why it’s done this?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Ok
Thanks
Will dispose of it.
Have got 3 of these and I don’t think I’ve used this one anymore than the others and I do check them fairly regularly so can’t understand why it’s done this?
Always balance charge them, and make sure to have a cell checker on hand! something like this will show you the percent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y7R166Q/?tag=lstir-20 try to keep it above 20 or so. 30-40 or 3.7v is storage voltage, and as the anem implies keep it at that voltage for storage.