Help! Reciever Battery?

Can i use a lipo batterie in my setup instead of 4xAA batteries. I need it for my reciever and the servos.
Im going to use it in my gas powered boat and i want to get rid of AA batteries.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Can i use a lipo batterie in my setup instead of 4xAA batteries. I need it for my reciever and the servos.
Im going to use it in my gas powered boat and i want to get rid of AA batteries.
4 AA would be 6 volts. I'm betting if you could run a 2S battery and a 5v BEC and it would be fine...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Only if your setup is happy with the Lipo voltages. OR you have a BEC to convert Lipo voltages to something they are happy with.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
On my reciever it says power supply: 5 V DC1.5 V AAA * 4
My servos DS3225 25KG Operating voltage: 4.8 - 6.8V

Shall i use something like this? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/5v-5a-ubec-2-5s-lipoly-7-2-21v.html
thanks for the fast reply!:)
That depends on how many servos you have and what size they are. I usually figure at least 1A for each thing running off of it, maybe 2 if it's a very large servo.

Sometimes I'll even use a single BEC just for my receiver just for good measure...

That depends on how many servos you have and what size they are. I usually figure at least 1A for each thing running off of it, maybe 2 if it's a very large servo.

Sometimes I'll even use a single BEC just for my receiver just for good measure...
How can i use it just for the reciever when the servos is connecting to the reciever?

FDS

Elite member
You will want a BEC for servos and receivers IMO, they can be very picky about input voltage. As noted above you need to watch the current output of your BEC.
If you get a step up BEC you can use a 1s lipo which will be very light vs AA cells.
You can’t just plug in to the lipo, you will either have too low or too high volts.

You will want a BEC for servos and receivers IMO, they can be very picky about input voltage. As noted above you need to watch the current output of your BEC.
If you get a step up BEC you can use a 1s lipo which will be very light vs AA cells.
You can’t just plug in to the lipo, you will either have too low or too high volts.

Im gonna use a2cell lipo (7,4v) so i need to stepdown to 5v for my reciever but my servos can manage 6,5v i can just use it on my reciever beqaus i dont have av esc!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
How can i use it just for the reciever when the servos is connecting to the reciever?
Running a separate BEC for your receiver is the better way, but not mandatory. Not like your boat will sink if you get a glitch. With a 5v/5A bec you'll probably be fine, don't hurt to just try it. Worse that happens is you have to add another bec.

If you want to run servos and receiver separate you have to run all of your black and red wires from your servos to the 2nd BEC. Then you only have the signal wires coming from your receiver to your servos. Your first BEC can then run your receiver without having to worry about a servo problem causing issues with your receiver voltage.

Running a separate BEC for your receiver is the better way, but not mandatory. Not like your boat will sink if you get a glitch. With a 5v/5A bec you'll probably be fine, don't hurt to just try it. Worse that happens is you have to add another bec.

If you want to run servos and receiver separate you have to run all of your black and red wires from your servos to the 2nd BEC. Then you only have the signal wires coming from your receiver to your servos. Your first BEC can then run your receiver without having to worry about a servo problem causing issues with your receiver voltage.

Thanks for the tip! i just buy a BEC with high amp and test! the servos is 4,8v-to 6,8 25KG but i dont Think i need that much tourgh so i Think i 5v will be enough!

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Run all of it through the BEC, if it has enough Amps for the servos then it will work fine.

FDS

Elite member
Yes, you put the BEC to either the balance or main lipo plug, then there’s a lead that goes to the receiver to power it, the servos take power through the 5v and ground on the receiver plugs.
Check what plug is on your BEC, they usually have JST on the input, match that plug on the lipo. Otherwise change the BEC plug for whatever is on the lipo.