recievers

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
so i heve never flown an rc airplane before, but i have flown a real airplane before. (cessna skyhawk 172 call tag 56r) i am planning to get the ft arrow to learn on, with a dx-6 transmitter and a pack for power. what kind of reciever do i want to use? is there a size or weight issue with using one too big? thanks.

mjmccarron

Hello and welcome!

As a fellow full scale pilot (Navion 73T and about 20+ hours in a 172). I can tell you that other than aerodynamics, there are few similarities between full size and models. In RC you are totally visual. combine that with the spatial orientation problems that occur when the model is coming toward you and it can be very challenging. That being said, I would recommend something a bit more "self righting" to start with. Something like the FT Flyer is much easier to learn on while you get the orientation down. The FT Arrow pretty much goes where you tell it to and can get you into trouble very quickly. It is a great second airplane! I only bring this up because I know so many full scale pilots that start with something like the Arrow or a scale warbird and get very discouraged very quickly. In any event you're in the right place for support and I look forward to hearing of your success.

Best of luck,
Mike

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
so i heve never flown an rc airplane before, but i have flown a real airplane before. (cessna skyhawk 172 call tag 56r) i am planning to get the ft arrow to learn on, with a dx-6 transmitter and a pack for power. what kind of reciever do i want to use? is there a size or weight issue with using one too big? thanks.

Hey agentkbl!

So, I would have to echo the same sentiments as mjmccarron!
The arrow is an awesome plane, but for starting out definitely want something a bit less pacey! I would recommend the TINY TRAINER or the FT MINI SCOUT. Both fantastic little fliers and a LOT of fun! Also, with the receivers... you are going to want to get a SPEKTRUM receiver... preferred is probably a 6 channel receiver because you can do a bit more with it later!

Hopefully this helps and let us know what you end up doing! Post pics and vids also if you want...everyone loves a good pic/vid! ha

Blessings,
Stefan

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
thanks guys! i was thinking i would get the dx-6 package on the flite test store that comes with the six channel receiver. what would be a good plane that would be good and fun later on? or does the flyer fill both those characteristics?

here is the link:
https://store.flitetest.com/dx6-6-channel-dsmx-transmitter-with-ar610-receiver-mode-2/

i couldn't find dimensions for the receiver. is this the one you were referring to, stefan?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just my 2 cents worth! The Tiny Trainer that Stefan mentioned is a far better proposition for a learner who has the willingness to persist in the face of adversity, (AKA Crashes). After teaching the "THUMBS" what to do, and the plane gets a little sedate or even boring you can build the sport wing and possibly even fit a more powerful motor and you step up to advanced flight training all from the one purchase or build.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
sounds good. these planes aren't exactly expensive, and i can always just switch the electronics to the arrow once i'm ready.

Bricks

Master member
The great thing about Spektrum and foamy airplanes is you can get the Lemon micro receivers at 5 for $25 a great deal when you are ready. Then there are all the bind and fly models you can get........it is a never ending process.