Recommendation for a video camera to record flights

model14

My GoPro mounted to my hat doesn't work well because I have no way of zooming as the plane gets further out. My videos show takeoffs, landings, and close-in passes. Anything else is too hard to see. What have you found works?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm in the same boat. I use the pan & zoom function on my video editor. I think it's that or having a buddy with a camera.

Tench745

Master member
Short of having some kind of motion-tracking, I don't know a good solution. I too would like something a little better than a hat-cam at standard zoom.

skymaster

Elite member
why not get an on-board camera mounted to your plane and tape your phone to your hat. most of the videos that i have seen of maiden's are crap because. I have a hard time tracking the plane in the sky. so why not put a camera on board and a camera in front of you to catch the fly by's

Tench745

Master member
why not get an on-board camera mounted to your plane and tape your phone to your hat. most of the videos that i have seen of maiden's are crap because. I have a hard time tracking the plane in the sky. so why not put a camera on board and a camera in front of you to catch the fly by's

For me, onboard cameras don't give me the information I want about a flight. They're a novelty more than a tool. Additional camera setups also make the maiden less likely to happen for me.
Right now I do the hat-cam thing and it's okay. The footage is for me to remember the flight and diagnose issues. As a benefit it also serves as a mediocre proof-of-life video for build threads. It would be nice if I could zoom in from my hat cam so I can better see what I and the plane are doing.

model14

I agree a zoom would be great. I can get decent video with my hat cam, a mobius with the narrow lens. I use the wide lens on my plane.

That was a fun looking flight.

What model Mobius are you using? A lense ?
Did you zoom using a video editor (crop) ?

Are you shooting at max resolution for later magnification?

I see Motion RC has an A model for $73.

skymaster

Elite member
For me, onboard cameras don't give me the information I want about a flight. They're a novelty more than a tool. Additional camera setups also make the maiden less likely to happen for me.
Right now I do the hat-cam thing and it's okay. The footage is for me to remember the flight and diagnose issues. As a benefit it also serves as a mediocre proof-of-life video for build threads. It would be nice if I could zoom in from my hat cam so I can better see what I and the plane are doing.
if i offended any of u for the comment i made sorry. but if you want to show us your maiden it's pretty hard to fallow a plane on a video, they look awesome when they do slow fly by's.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
if i offended any of u for the comment i made sorry. but if you want to show us your maiden it's pretty hard to fallow a plane on a video, they look awesome when they do slow fly by's.
I've posted my share of "boring little dot in the sky" videos. No offence taken.

Inq

Elite member
I've been thinking on this one for a few days wanting to get some of my flights... if for no other reason than to do post disaster analysis. :confused: I'm glad you said the GoPro wasn't cutting it. I couldn't justify the cost, but knowing it wouldn't work, feels I dodged that bullet.

As an option, I was considering 3D printing something to hold the phone zoomed-in on a baseball cap which I see is pretty common item already on Thingiverse. I thought if it had some kind of wire "sites" say about 4" apart that drape down in front of my right eye. Closest being a little circle, say 5 mm in diameter and a second one further out is a rectangle giving me a field of view pyramid so I can aim the head/hat/camera at the plane. Does this sound like something that might work or am I deluding myself.

model14

I think the wire sights would distract from your attention on the plane. I do like the idea of using your smart phone mounted on the ballcap. I don't have 3D printing available, but I do have foam board, a glue gun, and Velcro.

Tench745

Master member
No offense taken at all. There are a lot of boring dot videos out there, and a number of them are mine. I would like to produce more professional flight videos, but I can't do that to a level I am happy with and also fly.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...What model Mobius are you using? A lense ?...
It an older one, 4-5 years, I’m sure the new ones are much better than mine. I recall it had 2 or 3 lenses options, A,B &C. I don’t recall, which lenses was wide 120 degrees and which was narrow 90 degrees.

...Did you zoom using a video editor (crop) ?...
No cropping, no zoom.

...Are you shooting at max resolution for later magnification?....
I don’t recall if my camera has more than one resolution. I think the max resolution is 720.

It’s the narrow lenses that is the key.

Inq

Elite member
I think the wire sights would distract from your attention on the plane. I do like the idea of using your smart phone mounted on the ballcap. I don't have 3D printing available, but I do have foam board, a glue gun, and Velcro.
:LOL: You know?... a 3D Printer is like a hammer... everything looks like a nail.

I was just thinking that without some way of aiming the phone in telephoto mode (7x) my chances of getting the plane in the field of view would be a crap-shoot.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...without some way of aiming...
I aim with my hat. I know as long as I keep the bill of my hat centered on my plane and keep my bill just above the plane. The plane will be in the center of the video frame.

Left to right is just a matter of making sure my camera is straight on my hat. Up and down took 2 or 3 tries to get the angle right. I made my camera mount out of coat hanger wire, so the angel adjustment was easy. It’s also easy to install and remove, it just slips on and off.

I would try a slightly narrower lenses, if I could find it.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
I aim with my hat. I know as long as I keep the bill of my hat centered on my plane and keep my bill just above the plane. The plane will be in the center of the video frame.

Left to right is just a matter of making sure my camera is straight on my hat. Up and down took 2 or 3 tries to get the angle right. I made my camera mount out of coat hanger wire, so the angel adjustment was easy. It’s also easy to install and remove, it just slips on and off.

I would try a slightly narrower lenses, if I could find it.

I was just checking my FOV angle and realized, my video is only 3X (7X on photos). Angle looks is 20 degrees. I probably can keep the plane in that without aiming, but it'll always be tiny. Guess, I still need to look for something longer telephoto.

model14

My Hero3 lense is replaceable. Other models may also be replaceable. Maybe a narrow FOV lense is available. I am looking.

model14

Searched a lot and couldn't find a 2X replacement lens for my GoPro. I went ahead and popped for a Mobius Mini V2 Lens A camera (110 deg FOV) $80 shipped. Won't get it for a week yet. Then will probably have to wait for decent weather. I'll keep you posted.