Recommendations for Lipo charger & battery tester to buy for a beginner, new to the hobby (concerned about damage)

Fly4Fun

I just purchased my first plane, VOLANTEXRC Ranger600 (761-2 RTF) and wanted to inquire about the safest charger(1) to purchase that would work with my connector type as well as what battery tester to buy (2). Can anyone identify the connector type (3)? The plane came with an inexpensive USB charger but, the included charger has no way to discharge the battery. I wanted to ask for a few recommendations on a inexpensive full feature Lipo Charger and Lipo battery tester. I don't plan on flying too much and don't plan on buying more planes for the near term so I don't want to spend too much money for the highest end items, but I do want to use these Lipo batteries correctly and safely. I do wish to be able to test these the battery on the field to know how much flight time I can get without damaging the batteries. I purchased extra batteries:
VOLANTEXRC 2pcs 3.7V 360mAh Lipo Rechargeable Battery for RC Airplane by EXHOBBY
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MVZ8X72/?tag=lstir-20
I watched the FliteTest Beginner Youtube video on batteries and that left me a bit concerned about using Lipos and made me realize I don't have the necessary equipment. Also I wanted to reconfirm I should store these little lipo batteries in a metal ammo box(4)? Assume if its in a metal ammo box that I can store the batteries in a bedroom closet(5)?

Attachments

• IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4509.jpg
    IMG_4509.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Those little cells are pretty much disposable. They are usually treated pretty badly by users, I have 30 or so different 1s packs for tiny whoops etc.
You can get a charger like this one with bells and whistles or this one which is a 6 way charger. There are cheaper ones like this. Of those I reckon the second one is better value for money, since it’s AC or DC and has all the different plugs.
The ones with a volt meter on are useful, so you can charge to storage voltage (3.7-3,8v) when you want to leave them.
I don’t like to use metal containers for batteries. A short will definitely result in damage and possibly fire, so I use a plastic sandwich box with a hole drilled in the lid. Store away from extremes of temperature. Mine sit in a closet in the middle of the house.
Most of those RTF set ups have battery protection, the throttle cuts to low or pulses when you hit 3.5v. The batteries won’t randomly explode on you, plus they are super cheap to buy more of. If you puff one drop it in a fire proof lipo bag to get home, then plug an auto tail light bulb into it until it gives 0 volts (bulb goes out) then dispose of it.
A lipo bag is handy for those type of situations.
I have had over 50 packs for the last 5 years, only had one puff and none fail. Ignore the scare stories, don’t leave batteries charging unattended and never leave them flat and you will be fine.

Last edited: