Help! Recommendations for the first flight

Foamforce

Ok.
I will remove thrust angle. How about, a2212 1000kv motor with 80x40, weighs 600g is it suitable ?
Thank you for answer.

If that’s 600g without battery, then it’s almost 50% overweight. The plans say 408g. It will still fly, but it will have to fly faster to avoid stalling which makes it more difficult. Go for it anyways, but try to get going as fast as you can on the ground before giving up elevator and then only give it enough elevator to slowly take off. I also started with an overweight airplane and made the same mistake that many others do. I pulled up too soon without enough speed, stalled, and rolled to the left into the ground.

Also, 8x4 is a bit small. That motor can handle a 10x4.5 or 10x4.7 slow fly. Check the motor temperature with your fingers when you land to make sure it isn’t getting too hot, but I’ve never had a problem with mine. The Cub needs all the prop it can get.

Good luck!

Belial2801

If that’s 600g without battery, then it’s almost 50% overweight. The plans say 408g. It will still fly, but it will have to fly faster to avoid stalling which makes it more difficult. Go for it anyways, but try to get going as fast as you can on the ground before giving up elevator and then only give it enough elevator to slowly take off. I also started with an overweight airplane and made the same mistake that many others do. I pulled up too soon without enough speed, stalled, and rolled to the left into the ground.

Also, 8x4 is a bit small. That motor can handle a 10x4.5 or 10x4.7 slow fly. Check the motor temperature with your fingers when you land to make sure it isn’t getting too hot, but I’ve never had a problem with mine. The Cub needs all the prop it can get.

Good luck!
What would be the recommended weight with battery included for a "stable" flight?

Foamforce

What would be the recommended weight with battery included for a "stable" flight?

489g with battery. I think that’s with a smaller 1000mah 3s battery because it only adds 81g. I think most people fly this with a 1300mah, but the smaller battery would definitely help it fly easier.

PS, this is always listed on the first page of the plans.

mbyvz

yes, I used the same materials. but the foamboard brand is different, of course. this may have added a little more weight.

the weight of the plane is 448g (15.8oz) without batteries
i made the battery myself using 3 pcs 18650, its weight is 150 g (5.3oz)
Total flight weight 600g (21.3oz)

maybe I should buy a ready-made 3s lipo battery as you indicated. (81g) then my total flight weight will be 529g.

a2212 1000kv is the recommended 10x45 propeller for this engine, but it seems to me that it will go fast if it is 10". my goal is to be slower because this will be my first attempt :) I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible.

Actually, I'm also wondering about this. does a noticeable speed difference occur between 8x4.5 and 8x4 ?Dec.

With this information, I think the advice you will give me is to keep the bill at a lower weight. if you have any other suggestion, I will implement it with satisfaction.

thank you.

quorneng

Master member
mbyvz
If a 10x4.5 is recommended then I would strongly advise you stick to it.
If you fit a bigger prop the motor will still try to turn it at the same speed. To do this it will draw more amps and get hot and could fail, permanently. Too small and the thrust will be inadequate for the plane to fly.
The thing to remember is that weight determines the planes minimum flying speed and also the power required for it to fly. A heavy plane has to fly faster all the time and needs more power (thrust) to do it. If you want to fly slowly reduce the weight.
I appreciate the weight of your plane is largely determined by your 'heavy' foam board but nevertheless "every little helps".

When you are confident you know how your plane behaves and that you can control it then you can try a bigger heavier battery to improve performance or duration but add too much weight and a plane becomes virtually unflyable.

mbyvz

mbyvz
If a 10x4.5 is recommended then I would strongly advise you stick to it.
If you fit a bigger prop the motor will still try to turn it at the same speed. To do this it will draw more amps and get hot and could fail, permanently. Too small and the thrust will be inadequate for the plane to fly.
The thing to remember is that weight determines the planes minimum flying speed and also the power required for it to fly. A heavy plane has to fly faster all the time and needs more power (thrust) to do it. If you want to fly slowly reduce the weight.
I appreciate the weight of your plane is largely determined by your 'heavy' foam board but nevertheless "every little helps".

When you are confident you know how your plane behaves and that you can control it then you can try a bigger heavier battery to improve performance or duration but add too much weight and a plane becomes virtually unflyable.
I have not had any additions other than the parts specified in the plan.
if I can find a lipo battery in the range of 70gr - 90 gr, I guess weight of the plane will be in the range of 520g to 540g.
it doesn't seem possible for me to reduce the weight in any other way, unless we find a lighter foam board.

hopefully, 540gr will be a good weight for my first flight and I will be able to lower it without major damage with a 10x45 propeller.

thank you for answer, regards