Help! Recommendations????

Hog Wild

I was given some RC stuff and need some recommendations. I tried the Nutball and FT Flyer but with what I have they seem VERY over powered or something.:cry: What I'd like is a slow fly trainer.(y) Here's what I have,
Motor= Turnigy D2830/11 1000kv ( what ever that means)
ESC= 2a/5v bec - 20amp
Battery= 3 cell and charger
Transmitter= Air Wing 4channel 2.4GHz
This was given to me by an Uncle who is now deceased.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks for the details, these are always helpful. Only pieces missing are the size of the battery (mAh) and the prop you are using, but it looks like this setup is ideally suited for some of the bigger planes, in the 30 - 40 inch wingspan range (Spitfire, Racer, Mig, Versa wing, Simple Cub).
Looking at the specs on Hobbyking, it is bascially equivalent to a C-pack motor so any planes that use the C-pack should work well with this.

This size can also work well on the Bloody Baron (a nice simple build) and the mini Arrow (another nice simple build).

DamoRC

Hog Wild

I don't have a prop anymore:cry:. As for mAh he stuck Velcro over the lable and it tore up when I tried to remove the Velcro:(. I was looking at the Simple Cub or Simple Storch.:unsure:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I don't have a prop anymore:cry:. As for mAh he stuck Velcro over the lable and it tore up when I tried to remove the Velcro:(. I was looking at the Simple Cub or Simple Storch.:unsure:

Standard procedure for indentifying a battery with no label is to post a picture of it beside a bannana or other fruit recognized by the Internatioal Fruit Standardization council and we'll guess.;)

Simple Cub is a good choice.

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Another method to identify the battery capacity id=s to measure it, weigh it, and after charging it use the discharger function of your charger to measure the actual capacity after the battery is fully discharged.

If the battery is a bit old it will give a lower value than the original capacity but normally within 10% so you should be able to do an internet search to find the exact battery that you have.

What works for me!

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Your motor should look something like this one

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/d2830-11-1000kv-brushless-motor.html

So the numbers on the motor 2830, are the size of the inside of the can. 28 mm diameter by 30 mm long. The 1000 kv is how fast the motor spins, 1000 rpm per volt. So if you are using a 12.6v (3S) battery the motor will spin at 12,600 rpm, you will want a 9x4 prop. If you are using a 16.8v (4S) battery the motor will spin 16,800 rpm, you will want a 8x4 prop.

The FT Simple Storch, Simple Cub or Bushwhacker would all be great planes to put this in. Also great beginner planes to learn on.

Rawdog90

That motor is so good with a 3s battery and a 9x4.7 slowfly prop with a 25-30 amp esc! I have used many of them. You can fly all your mid sized swappables with that set up. 1300-2200 mah battery depending on the weight needed

kdobson83

If your wanting a good trainer, the FT Storch would be perfect. I'd recommend getting an external BEC to power your sevos tho, especially if your gonna do flaps. 4-6 servos on an esc that only has a 2a BEC is sketchy. Without flaps and you should be ok. The rule of thumb for how many servos a BEC can power is .5amps per servo. But the more volts you run, aka 3s and 4s, the more heat the BEC will generate increasing your chances of it over heating and shutting off in mid flight. I say this because it has happened to me twice... 😒 You can get a bigger esc, I believe most 30amp esc come with 3amp BEC's but you'd want to verify before purchase. I have a 30amp emax esc which has a 3amp BEC in it on my FT Explorer with flaps, 6 servos, and it cut out every time I engaged the flaps. Put a 5amp external (also known as a ubec) on it and it works beautifully.
Anyway, agree with stated above, it should work fine on pretty much any of the normal size FT designs. No minis.