Recommended Beginner FT Plane?

FroProHD

I want to DIY my first plane and do not know which FT plane I should go for, I heard that the TT can be a hand full as a trainer and I’m looking into the Mini Scout, anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I want to DIY my first plane and do not know which FT plane I should go for, I heard that the TT can be a hand full as a trainer and I’m looking into the Mini Scout, anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance.
The TT is quite a good trainer but it can be a little clumsy in the air with a tiny motor. With a decent motor it can be seriously fast and quite aerobatic. As for the Mini Scout, my son had one and struggled to learn until I built him a TT.

For a true beginner I would recommend something that is a pusher design and extremely impact resistant. The reason being that everyone who is starting to learn to fly RC model aircraft WILL crash and quite often! It is no reflection upon the trainee pilot but rather a simple fact of life!

Also as a beginner I am not sure of your hand skills as some designs suffer badly if built poorly.

Personally I am migrating my trainee pilots onto KFM flying wings simply for the reduction in repairs required!

Have a look at a KFM wing, There are a few designs in the forum. 2 Servos, Rx, ESC, Motor, and battery you are away! Parts count of the plane in FB nominally around 5 and most build flat so a floor, or table, combined with a few weights is all that is required, (also glue, sharp knife etc).

If you can't find one I am happy to post a link if required.

Have fun!

Chappie66

The TT is quite a good trainer but it can be a little clumsy in the air with a tiny motor. With a decent motor it can be seriously fast and quite aerobatic. As for the Mini Scout, my son had one and struggled to learn until I built him a TT.

For a true beginner I would recommend something that is a pusher design and extremely impact resistant. The reason being that everyone who is starting to learn to fly RC model aircraft WILL crash and quite often! It is no reflection upon the trainee pilot but rather a simple fact of life!

Also as a beginner I am not sure of your hand skills as some designs suffer badly if built poorly.

Personally I am migrating my trainee pilots onto KFM flying wings simply for the reduction in repairs required!

Have a look at a KFM wing, There are a few designs in the forum. 2 Servos, Rx, ESC, Motor, and battery you are away! Parts count of the plane in FB nominally around 5 and most build flat so a floor, or table, combined with a few weights is all that is required, (also glue, sharp knife etc).

If you can't find one I am happy to post a link if required.

Have fun!
Which KFM flying wing are you recommending to students?

spdcm

F, I am going for the Tiny Trainer which FT offers a complete setup for ease. With only three channels i am hoping it goes well. I also see there is a Revolution on EBay for $78 complete set, which is a pusher, that Hai-Lee suggested.

Chappie66

As for trainers, my son is learning on the Bushwacker. Not sure if that is for everyone, but he flies it quite well (coupled with a good amount of simulator practice). It is a gentle flying plane when dialed back but can do some pretty impressive acrobatics as well.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Which KFM flying wing are you recommending to students?
The wing I am now using for those I am teaching can be found at; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-1-800-mm-kfm-flying-wing.54085/
Initially the control deflections are turned down and the motor power is kept down to around 100W. A couple even have fitted flight stabilisation! Set up properly and with a light touch the plane is a great way to teach your thumbs how to fly without a lot of cost.

Have fun!

Chappie66

The wing I am now using for those I am teaching can be found at; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/collaborators-build-1-800-mm-kfm-flying-wing.54085/
Initially the control deflections are turned down and the motor power is kept down to around 100W. A couple even have fitted flight stabilisation! Set up properly and with a light touch the plane is a great way to teach your thumbs how to fly without a lot of cost.

Have fun!
Thanks, going to take a look at it now.

mayan

Legendary member
I tried the Simple Cub as a first plane and ended up laying it aside. I highly recommend the Tiny Trainer as a first plane. That’s how I am learning.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I started with an FT 3D (bashed it to bits on the glide test), then went to the Tiny Trainer (smashed to bits due to reversed elevators on the maiden). Then I built my second TT and learned the pre-flight checks for elevator and aileron directions and with some tuning help got it to fly.

I learned more the week after the maiden of my second TT than I had the year prior.

The F22 is a good cheap pusher that is a solid learning craft, but mind the prop on hand launching if you are a newbie.

I vote for the Tiny Trainer. It comes with two wings so you can learn 3 channel on a polyhedral glider wing that is like a Weeble it is so stable. When you get bored with it you can assemble the sport wing which has ailerons. With an 1806 motor and a 6045 prop or a 5030x3 prop on 3S with the sport wing, you can do loops, rolls, split S maneuvers etc...

donalson

I went with the 3 pack for my first planes so I had all the firewalls and pushrods... I then built the sparrow as a glider from scratch to get a feel for the build process... the ft flier and nutball are super easy to build and fun to fly....

That being said the ft cub has been the best 3 ch non aileron plane I’ve flown.... but a more difficult build

Tiny trainer is fun and versatile but not my fav

JamesonOKC

I had the best luck getting started on the Tiny Trainer. Easy to build fun to fly. I destroyed many planes that were out of my skill level before I got smart and tried a simpler plane. Good luck and have fun!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
simple soarer, ft explorer, old fogey, and simple scout are the best planes to learn on. I learned to fly with the simple soarer because of how forgiving it is to mid flight errors.